Kill Command vs Arcane Shot

85 Night Elf Hunter
Is there ever a reason to use Kill Command over Arcane Shot? Arcane shot does more dmg with half the focus cost and it procs Cobra Strikes. Does KC overtake arcane shot at higher levels or something?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Kill Command damage isn't from the hunter, it comes from your pet which increases your pet's DPS which in turn increases yours, but you have to be using it every cooldown. Arcane Shot is a focus dump.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Kill Command damage isn't from the hunter

Obviously

it comes from your pet which increases your pet's DPS

Besides the damage from the skill, what effect are you talking about exactly?
Reply Quote
97 Orc Hunter
femaledwarf.com shows basically no difference

edit: granted, that's single target only, at my level and in my quest gear. If you can find a level 90 bm on the armory you could plug them in and see how it goes.
Edited by Orakshog on 9/30/2012 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
My kill command hits twice as hard as my arcane shots, flat out. Not even close
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
09/30/2012 03:34 PMPosted by Rageling

I would be interested to know if this is due to a terrible arcane or an absurd kill command.

My arcane shot hits for about 20-23k and kill command is about 27-30k
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

I would be interested to know if this is due to a terrible arcane or an absurd kill command.

Not sure, I'm not 90 yet, maybe arcane scales better than kill command once you start getting some gear?

Raw, no buffs, my arcane hits for about 13k and my kill command about 25k

edit: hits about 3 times as hard when i pop trinket/bloodlust/bestial wrath so i dont think its a scaling issue
Edited by Rageling on 9/30/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I know I had this issue at 85 as well. Outside of bestial wrath arcane shot was quite a bit better damage per focus than kill command. With the hilarious focus regen bonus for the set bonus it wasn't an issue to use kill command anyway since I would be almost capped a lot of the time.

It just feel like when they took AP away from melee weapons/Hawk and added it to weapon damage, all the AP scaling abilities took such a massive step back and they still haven't recovered. Whether or not they go back to the way people assume it should be I can't really say.

One thing I do absolutely dislike is how dependent on cds the class is to be competitive with others who are more or less stable. Clearing through !@#$ to bosses in heroics and just watching others horribly outpace you because either their aoe is good or they don't have to worry about wasting a cd for an upcoming boss is somewhat disheartening. If hunter is based around having dual rapid fire/lynx rush/crows and then a stampede in the first minute of the fight, then that kind of leaves a giant hole for times when you can't afford to use them, or hunter should destroy basically everyone during that time. While I can do well on fights that are kept short, once everything drops and I have to actually cobra it becomes devstating while other classes' drop is much less severe.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
New post so it doesn't get lost in the old one!

Thinking about it, I do wonder if the problem is due to Luck of the Draw not applying to pets. Adding bonus percentage damage to arcane shot and nothing for pets would seem like another terrible blizzard pet oversight since forever.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/30/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Bledwarf

You are using a fero pet... right?
Reply Quote
If your arcane shot is doing more dmg than kill command as a BM hunter you are doing something wrong.

Is your pet exotic? Is it specced to ferocity?

Stats might be a small part of it too. BM hunters want Mastery, our mastery is a direct buff to our pets damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Thinking about it, I do wonder if the problem is due to Luck of the Draw not applying to pets. Adding bonus percentage damage to arcane shot and nothing for pets would seem like another terrible blizzard pet oversight since forever.

Pet's inherit all of our buffs, that is why they cannot be buffed individually anymore. If you have Luck of the Draw, your pet benefits from the added damage.

10/02/2012 07:11 AMPosted by Rämbo
Is your pet exotic?

This is inconsequential.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I don't know about PVE, but in PVP it's obviously more useful for the simple fact that it can be performed out of LoS/out of the target's range to you.
Reply Quote
Is your pet exotic?

This is inconsequential.

Not entirely. A spirit beast will do slightly more dps than a cat. Exotic pets are a bit better, granted not buy much dps wise, the special abilities is the main exotic perk. Granted it's not a huge factor, thought it was worth mentioning though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Is your pet exotic?

This is inconsequential.

Not entirely. A spirit beast will do slightly more dps than a cat. Exotic pets are a bit better, granted not buy much dps wise, the special abilities is the main exotic perk. Granted it's not a huge factor, thought it was worth mentioning though.

A Spirit Beast and a Cat will do identical DPS assuming they are in the same spec. Any differences you observe are due to RNG, not systemic differences. The only difference between pets within a family is the buff they bring, which can alter their DPS. But given the same set of buffs and debuffs, all pets from the same family will preform identically. Cats and Spirit Beasts bring the same buff, so that statement is moot for those pets.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
dont use KC on mobs that die easy..or face the wrath of the loot gods. Even in mop zones mobs can die to KC damage and you get no credit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Bestial Wrath + KC > Arcane Shot dmg.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
And just tested it right now. Arcane shot crit 38k, KC crit 57k, NOT in BW. So yes, per Focus Arcane is better dmg, but is it worth losing 1 GCD ?
Edited by Rynmoren on 10/2/2012 11:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/02/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Rämbo
A spirit beast will do slightly more dps than a cat.

No it won't.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
A lot of this is play style, but on my hunter just KC by itself is a bit more damage. KC however costs twice as much focus, and there's the rub.

God, there's so many different directions you can go with this. In my opinion, for me this comes down to focus management. Is KC going to give me more bang for my buck? In certain situations I would say yes. My favorite one being BW, rabid, LR, and KC.

Now, I run with Thrill of the Hunt, and that adds a whole bunch of new stuff to this equation. So, the way I've been playing it is to burst with my pet, and spam the hell out of AS during cool downs making sure I keep SS up. That's just the way I've been doing it.
Edited by Zouka on 10/2/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]