bear tanking question..

90 Night Elf Druid
As a new bear tank I have a few questions.
How exactly do bears open on a fresh mob? I'm currently popping 'enrage', followed by ' wild charge ', mangle, thrash, lacerate (SD and FR when available).
It seems I'm having problems getting aggro the first few seconds but after that I have aggro.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You're doing it right. I usually had a hard time getting aggro for the first little bit leveling up. Once I hit 90 and started doing heroics, kinda stopped being a problem. You probably just need a little more hit/expertise.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
As a new bear tank I have a few questions.
How exactly do bears open on a fresh mob? I'm currently popping 'enrage', followed by ' wild charge ', mangle, thrash, lacerate (SD and FR when available).
It seems I'm having problems getting aggro the first few seconds but after that I have aggro.

Most packs are AOE, so it's Trash-Swipe to build threat.

Single mobs, I open with Growl to hold aggro for the first few seconds and follow that up with Mangle/Maul and Faerie Fire.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thank you for the replies. Reassurance is always a nice thing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I never use swipe unless there's 5+ mobs, big packs charge in and hit your primary target with FF, then mangle, thrash, lacerate, switch targets. Then keep hitting each target with lacerate while prioritizing mangle then thrash. Hit FF on each mob that doesn't have the debuff while waiting on the timer for mangle, thrash or lacerate.

5+ mobs, charge in w/ff, hit mangle, thrash, swipe and keep that rotation up, if you're fast enough you can hit mangle, thrash, lac, swipe. And keep repeating that process while cycling the mobs. If there's a pally in the group symbiosis with them and drop CA, it's amazing for threat. I pull 70+k dps anytime there's more then 2 mobs, more then 4 and I'm hitting 100+. If heals are good ignore SD and use Maul as well. Remember to use a defensive cd each charge to give your heals the second they need to find out how hard you're gonna be getting hit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/30/2012 04:59 PMPosted by Samanthya
If heals are good ignore SD and use Maul as well.

Thats the other issue I'm having is when//how to use SD versus F-regen. Granted its all pugs so the healers/groups are different but it seems I'm using F-regen 10x more the SD.
But I'll take your advice and include FFF and target rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Being a brand new bear is slightly easier than being an old bear. Old bears are used to a tanking style that has changed highly. I open up now with a charge, mangle, then FFF. You want to avoid using FFF to pull now because it can proc a mangle. If your mangle is off cooldown, it is pointless to proc it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My alt is a DK tank so I'm used to more AOE aggro. With bear it sees lacking in this.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
10/01/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Aureil
My alt is a DK tank so I'm used to more AOE aggro. With bear it sees lacking in this.

It's only lacking when you're trying to gather mobs and your Thrash/Swipe don't hit a certain mob, leaving you with a full global before you can swipe again. Sustained AOE threat has not be an issue for me at all.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Just tanked 2 more with the provided suggestions and it seems to be getting smoother..ty all for replies.
Reply Quote
I personally pop enrage then use a FF-Charge combo and hit em with a mangle.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
noob question , but I didnt take wild charge because its tooltip reads "flys to a nearby allys position"

I thought they got rid of druids charge, its usable on enemy's?

lol sorry for being a noob, been away from wow for a year and a half.
Reply Quote
It changes depending what form you're in. In non-shapeshifted form, you fly to a nearby ally's position, in bear form you charge your enemy target, in cat form you charge/pounce behind your enemy target, in Boomkin form you... bounce back I think? ... in stag form you jump forward, and in swim form you get increased swim speed for X seconds.

I don't know about bird form, if any. o_0
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
cool, changin specs then thanks!
and to stay on topic, setting focus on one mob i found used to help me switch between mobs more easily tanking as a druid.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
cool, changin specs then thanks!
and to stay on topic, setting focus on one mob i found used to help me switch between mobs more easily tanking as a druid.

If you haven't already done so, turn on enemy health bars by pressing the v key. I usually reserve focus for something I really need to be alerted to quickly, but just turning on the nameplates you can tell which mob is at which health, and which mob you might need to pay more attention too. Also, tidyplates w/threatplates addon.

if you have something bound to V then open the key bindings and bind something to "show enemy nameplates"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]