DMF trinket is trash, again

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why does this happen every x-pac?
Solution?

Passive stam on the trinket.

on use/proc when hit/deal damage to increase either parry/dodge/mastery by x number.
or even better! have it increase all 3 by 1/3 of what it would just increase 1.
or have it increase one of the 3 stats randomly each use! lol.

any ideas?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Relic of Xuen

Passive avoidance, proc avoidance, cross-spec potential. My warrior will probably use this at least some of the time.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I'm afraid Nerfheals has the best solution available to us. DMF cards are horrendously awful for tanks and this expansion it is no different.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Hmm. Actually, I'd use that on my Druid - since SD is a flat extra dodge chance without DRs, the 10% boost from that trinket would get me up to about 85% avoidance.

Which, when you look at it in comparison to what it would be normally - 75% avoidance - the trinket might as well read "1m CD: Take 40% less damage for 12 seconds. 1m CD."
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/02/2012 01:02 AMPosted by Xpariah
I'm afraid Nerfheals has the best solution available to us. DMF cards are horrendously awful for tanks and this expansion it is no different.

Speak for yourself.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
10/01/2012 11:03 PMPosted by Salloreon
Why does this happen every x-pac?

Because way back in Burning Crusade, it was a fantastic trinket for a long, long time.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
I like watching everyone dump tens of thousands on DMF decks while mine isnt even close to BiS.

Keep up the good work blizz
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/02/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Feanorion

Because way back in Burning Crusade, it was a fantastic trinket for a long, long time.

Similarly, I believe JC is still paying for the Figurine - Monarch Crab. That was the last JC item worth a tinker's damn for tanking.

What are you talking about? The level 85 JC trinket was pretty good. The only reason it didn't see more use was because Vial of Stolen Memories was a scaled up version of it, but it's not unreasonable for a 346 to be outdone by raid loot.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Who cares if the Darkmoon card is bad? And it's really not that bad, 10% dodge for 12 seconds every minute is good enough.
Reply Quote
There is some loot available that you don't want.

Film at 11.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I like watching everyone dump tens of thousands on DMF decks while mine isnt even close to BiS.

Keep up the good work blizz

This. We've got two easily obtainable stam trinkets, and an engi trinket that can provide 600 of any three secondary stats you want (and a slight DPS increase). Who cares about spending eleventy berjillion gold when we've got three excellent and cheap alternatives?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

What are you talking about? The level 85 JC trinket was pretty good. The only reason it didn't see more use was because Vial of Stolen Memories was a scaled up version of it, but it's not unreasonable for a 346 to be outdone by raid loot.

Figurine - Earthen Guardian? Are you frikking serious? It was HORRIBLE. Vial of Stolen Memories was less bad only by a degree unless you were in a stamina-specific encounter. A Stam trinket in a Mastery environment: that was why it didn't see more use.

Do you have any clue what you're talking about? People used stamina trinkets during T11 progression for a damn good reason: block capping was impossible for anyone but a paladin in mostly heroic gear (and even paladin tanks rarely reached that point until the last few bosses on the progression curve), and bosses did a lot of burst damage. We used Mirror, sure (in large part because the on-use was absurdly overpowered), but the only other mastery trinkets were a 333 blue and a mastery/stamina alchemy trinket that gave the best of both worlds.

Vial of Stolen Memories was FANTASTIC. The stamina helped you to soak the heavy burst damage from stuff like Permafrost, Flame's Orders, Shadowflame Breaths, and Maloriak's black phase. The on-use would push a paladin tank up to the block cap, and bring a warrior very close-- perfect for Nefarian adds, Anshal's power-up, Adherents, Double Attack, and more.

TL;DR: You have no understanding of T11. Please do not pretend otherwise.
Edited by Muspel on 10/2/2012 9:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Figurine - Earthen Guardian? Are you frikking serious? It was HORRIBLE. Vial of Stolen Memories was less bad only by a degree unless you were in a stamina-specific encounter. A Stam trinket in a Mastery environment: that was why it didn't see more use.

Im sorry fean but i have to disagree.

Vial in particular was amazing.

block capping was impossible for anyone but a paladin in mostly heroic gear (and even paladin tanks rarely reached that point until the last few bosses on the progression curve)

We could block cap in an overall 358 ilvl gear actually with nothing heroic equipped..and a blue or two (thus 358 vs 359).

Doing so sacrficed a TON of stamina and avoidance.

10/02/2012 09:29 PMPosted by Muspel
Vial of Stolen Memories was FANTASTIC.

Quoting for truth. One of my favorite trinkets from this expansion. I preferred it over the worm trinket in most situations.
Edited by Celyndrashad on 10/3/2012 2:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I dislike stam/avoidance trinkets, but that's mostly because they're from competing schools of thought for DK tanking and having both on a single item is kind of annoying.

(Stamina/Mastery vs. Avoidance)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/03/2012 02:32 AMPosted by Celyndrashad
block capping was impossible for anyone but a paladin in mostly heroic gear (and even paladin tanks rarely reached that point until the last few bosses on the progression curve)

We could block cap in an overall 358 ilvl gear actually with nothing heroic equipped..and a blue or two (thus 358 vs 359).

Yeah, but nobody actually did that because you gave up so much.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I dislike stam/avoidance trinkets, but that's mostly because they're from competing schools of thought for DK tanking and having both on a single item is kind of annoying.

(Stamina/Mastery vs. Avoidance)

Well, because one of your trinket slots was often reserved for Mirror, Vial was competing with Symbiotic Worm in the same tier. For shield tanks, the Worm's proc wasn't particularly great, because becoming block capped when you're already below 30% health won't necessarily save your life. It wasn't useless, but it had some of the same problems that Corpse Tongue Coin's proc had (although it was still way better than CTC ever was).

For DKs, though, the Worm was a much more attractive option, particularly if you were timing your Death Strikes. A massive mastery boost right after you took heavy damage would let you get a truly impressive Blood Shield.

Not really sure where bears stood, but I assume the Vial was better for them, as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Yeah, I'm not saying that the JC trinket was optimal, just that it was probably the best 346 tanking trinket for early hardmodes. No, it wasn't on par with the Crab, but it wasn't bad, and I'd argue that it was actually really good for how easy it was to get.

Also, the mastery setup we were talking about involved ignoring every socket bonus, using the DPS shoulder enchant, and other stuff that significantly lowered your health. Since T11 had a lot of unblockable burst damage (see the examples above), it wasn't really a good idea to give up all of that stamina on many encounters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]