As a tank in early dng I feel useless.

44 Pandaren Warrior
I was doing fine tanking WC. There were 2 dps that would walk off to other mob groups and start to kill them. When I mentioned that I would appreciate that they stop I was told that "Tanks are not needed".
To test this out I simply sat there, through the whole dng. The group was able to clear the entire dng with no tank, all the trash, all the bosses. Why am I even trying?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Seeing how your in BOA gear, then you should know that nothing matters at low lvl anymore lol

Just get to panda island as fast as possible and enjoy the end game content
Reply Quote
The flipside of this is that tanks can and will do the most dps in a dungeon up till about level 70.

Keep tanking man, get that vengance up and spam some aoes. watch recount go insane.

sweet spot is going to be outland, where stuff starts hitting hard enough to make dps think twice, and you're STILL out dpsing everyone. :)
Edited by Anlomar on 9/28/2012 11:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!
once you hit end vanilla, only the players who actually know what they are doing, and have mad amounts of CC will be able to do dungeons without a tank, but even then, some of the bosses needs a tank.
once you hit outland, look at Anlomar's post.
also, make sure you learn your class while you level. i'd rather have an under geared tank who knows what his abilities do than an over geared tank who doesn't know jack.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
09/28/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Jaesuth
Why am I even trying?

Pardon my wordy response.

I'd argue that tanks aren't needed in pre-BC instances. 1-60 toons are overpowered, partially due to heirlooms. Mobs don't hit hard; they rarely stun, fear, paralyze. Mechanics are non-existent. To get through a Vanilla instance, all you need to do is faceroll.

When you get to Outland, mobs start hitting harder. They stun, fear, and immobilize more frequently. Cloth-wearing DPS die in a few hits. Northrend and Cataclysm continue these trends. The average group can't faceroll Outland, Northrend, or Cataclysm content without a tank.

Don't give up. You will be needed once you get past level 60. Until then, just take it easy and learn your class.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
One button to get really comfortable with is your Taunt, once you get the ability. You will find, especially at higher levels, that as you are gearing up threat will be an issue. Taunting frequently is a key aspect of tanking. Managing your threat and your survivability is the ufn of tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/28/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Jaesuth
Why am I even trying?
Because you get instant queues. Sack up and destroy the dungeon. QQ about people making your job easy later.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A tank starts making the dungeon go a lot faster around Gnomer/SM, though groups without a designated tank can still do them. For WC/Stocks/RFC/BFD, it's faster to encourage people to tag mobs for you while standing in melee (both due to mob distribution, and low-level tanking abilities).
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I always level with my friend who plays healers. I just tell her to stop healing DPS who pull, and I tank everything but what they pull. They die fast, and either QQ quit or knock it off rather quickly. I set my pace based on my healer and my resources/cds, and I like to practice as I level, so the DPS can deal and wait an extra 3 seconds between pulls or go roll their own tank.

So make friends with a healer and run with them!
Reply Quote
86 Orc Hunter
With some of the early dungeons, it's easy to get discouraged as a tank (especially before you get any sort of AoE threat abilities). Until I get those abilities I just zone in and tell the entire group "I don't learn AoE threat until such and such level, so if you want to zerg, that's fine, but if you pull something by mistake just bring it to me." and that usually works. Otherwise, just keep pushing on and learning you class. If someone gets irritating, just put them on ignore and push on through the dungeon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Tanks aren't needed, it's true, but neither is a DPS or a healer for that matter. It's just the way low-level WoW is now.

For now listen to Guidance: these aggressive DPS players are actually helping you out. Sure they're breaking protocol and frustrating you, but when you get down to it, they're killing mobs and making the run go faster.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I was doing fine tanking WC. There were 2 dps that would walk off to other mob groups and start to kill them. When I mentioned that I would appreciate that they stop I was told that "Tanks are not needed".
To test this out I simply sat there, through the whole dng. The group was able to clear the entire dng with no tank, all the trash, all the bosses. Why am I even trying?

To be perfectly fair, if the healer had not been healing them, they would have died.

Tanks and healers should work together like the old days. That's why I love running tank with my pocket healer buddy. When DPS start misbehaving and thinking they don't need one of us, they find they don't get either of us and promptly die.

Why am I even trying?
Because you get instant queues. Sack up and destroy the dungeon. QQ about people making your job easy later.

No. It's called teamwork. There is no reason for them to make my job harder or to make me feel useless just because they can. If you want to solo, then play solo. Do a dungeon if you want to work as a team.

It's not making the run go any faster when a tank has much more surviveability than a DPS and can grab tons of mobs and AOE everything down with ridiculous Vengeance stacks if you're not letting him do that.

Besides, these are the same people who QQ that fresh tanks don't know how to tank... when they don't even let them learn or practice in levelling dungeons where that's what you're supposed to do.
Edited by Snuzzle on 10/2/2012 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
It's not that they don't need the tank.

It's that the tank does not need them.

Tanks do more damage than dps in those early levels, so Remain Calm and Destroy Them On Meters.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
OP's group survived because healing in low-level dungeons is overpowered. A healer in Wailing Caverns will never run out of mana, so they can spam the heals across the whole party.

As you get up in the level and tank higher dungeons, you start to see just how important you are. For now, just use your low-level tanking as a learning experience, since mistakes won't cause much harm.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
10/05/2012 05:04 AMPosted by Halfsmoke
OP's group survived because healing in low-level dungeons is overpowered.

Pretty much everything in low level dungeons is overpowered. If it has BoAs, even moreso.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Tanks are not needed, but I do feel it helps working on the fundamentals as you level. That said, I was on my monk the other day (lvl 22) and wondering why Blizzard doesn't just make all the pre-Outlands dungeons into 5-man scenarios since you don't really need a tank or healer anymore.
Reply Quote
41 Orc Warrior
Our healer dropped halfway through Ahn-kahenthdsf*cough* last night. We finished the instance no problem with only the occasional off-heal from the shammy.

What started out as "Ha, let's see how far we get" quite quickly took us to the end of the instance.

Additionally, I recently ran a UK with a monk dps who was blasting away pulling entire rooms, destroying everything and not going down. After sulking and auto-attacking for a couple of rooms, I got over it and competed for mobs, and we raced through the instance.

I did laugh IRL though when he pulled aggro immediately before a Dark Smash, which killed him, the healer and one other dps, leaving me and the hunter to polish off the last 20k :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]