RP Events

90 Human Priest
Afternoon, forumbutts.

Currently, I am sitting here writing out some rough draft of the new storyline I plan to introduce to my guild to push us out of the hiding phase the guild has stayed in for many years. As I did so, a lot of the ideas I have have potential to turn into server events with the right planning. Secretly, I have wanted to jump back into server events for a very long time, but our (and my personal) storyline(s) were not favorable to do so.

But as I look at these events, I find myself wondering if people would be interested in them. So instead of laying out my ideas, I wanted to ask you all a question. What sort of server events do you want to see more often?

Ideally, I would like to make a mix of things. Lighthearted events are just as important as the serious ones. I want to dabble with some RP-PvP as well, but I am pretty uneducated on how to host those sorts of events. One thing I personally want to see is something like Systar's Six Nation group. I have always loved that idea and assuming I can talk to her later about it, maybe get the blessing to take some inspiration to fire up another group again. Something about that sort of group made me feel like the RP guilds (big and small) came together for good things.

Anyways, I am rambling. Throw your likes at me, forumbutts. What do you want to see more often in terms of server events?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/29/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Venita
Afternoon, forumbutts.
Hi Venibutts.

Currently, I am sitting here writing out some rough draft of the new storyline I plan to introduce to my guild to push us out of the hiding phase the guild has stayed in for many years. As I did so, a lot of the ideas I have have potential to turn into server events with the right planning. Secretly, I have wanted to jump back into server events for a very long time, but our (and my personal) storyline(s) were not favorable to do so.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.

But as I look at these events, I find myself wondering if people would be interested in them. So instead of laying out my ideas, I wanted to ask you all a question. What sort of server events do you want to see more often?
I have many ideas, that I'd rather tell you in-game.

Ideally, I would like to make a mix of things. Lighthearted events are just as important as the serious ones. I want to dabble with some RP-PvP as well, but I am pretty uneducated on how to host those sorts of events. One thing I personally want to see is something like Systar's Six Nation group. I have always loved that idea and assuming I can talk to her later about it, maybe get the blessing to take some inspiration to fire up another group again. Something about that sort of group made me feel like the RP guilds (big and small) came together for good things.
If you wanna do RP-PvP, you'll have the best luck asking Cartes or Kerdic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Definitely more large-scale, powerful events. I understand that these things are very difficult to plan, but with the help of several other guilds, I think that one can conjure up something awesome. I like these kinds of events because it really gives a person a sense-- whether that's a sense of pride over their faction or server, really.

But it doesn't always have to be about wars and fighting. I personally like the more underground things. Espionage, mysteries, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
09/29/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Karob
I have many ideas, that I'd rather tell you in-game.

You know where to find me. Well, I just logged off Venita to my paladin Otodo.

jahart189@yahoo.com or Venita#1623.

09/29/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Karob
If you wanna do RP-PvP, you'll have the best luck asking Cartes or Kerdic.

A good excuse to bug Kerdic. \o/

09/29/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Ethelorne
Definitely more large-scale, powerful events.

I have faith in my ability to be able to provide this. However, large scale and powerful is vague in terms of what sort of event to host. Can you clarify if you have more ideas? :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Honeybuns, you want me involved? I'd love to see Six Nations done again, only with more focus on inter-guild co-operation.
Reply Quote
If you go with large-scale, please take the time to consider the implications of said events and how it might realistically affect people.

There is a major problem I have seen wherein these huge events don't add up in any logical sense, resulting in a lot of cognitive dissonance and potential drama resulting from people not wanting to participate essentially being forced to anyways by sheer proxy of others around them participating fully.

Biggest example I can think of is the White Plague business Eyes of Old had a year back. The biggest problem I had with it was that the whole "mental disease with no known cure" would have essentially been a mass extinction event that would put the Scourge to utter shame. Didn't help that, at least in my case, that I was forced into playing along just by the sheer amount of people playing with that event and the pathology of said disease.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I really agree with Briswald and I think is example is a very good one. Large events are fun, however, it gets very dramatic or people get very bored with the storyline if they're not getting exactly what they want out of it. I think that's a really good point, Bris. But, I have no experience doing server events and by Venita's post, I believe she does. Perhaps there is a way of containing them?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ur a butt
Reply Quote
09/29/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Systar
I really agree with Briswald and I think is example is a very good one. Large events are fun, however, it gets very dramatic or people get very bored with the storyline if they're not getting exactly what they want out of it. I think that's a really good point, Bris. But, I have no experience doing server events and by Venita's post, I believe she does. Perhaps there is a way of containing them?

It's all a matter of logistics, when it boils down to basic elements. Your main goal is to have something everyone can have a part in, but something that people can easily opt out of and ignore if they felt it wasn't to their liking. After all, Azeroth is a living, breathing world, and people are going to have different goals and thoughts about a whole bunch of matters. And I can assure you, this is not as simple as it sounds.

People dream big, but they tend to ignore the details that make an event easily fall apart into bickering and drama, be it special attentions from certain key players, to facts and details about the event that easily falls apart when looked at with a critical eye.
Edited by Briswald on 9/29/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
09/29/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Systar
Honeybuns, you want me involved? I'd love to see Six Nations done again, only with more focus on inter-guild co-operation.

Of course, I'd love to have you back on because I thought the Six Nation group was great. I would tweak around some of the ideas you had though.

If you go with large-scale, please take the time to consider the implications of said events and how it might realistically affect people.

There is a major problem I have seen wherein these huge events don't add up in any logical sense, resulting in a lot of cognitive dissonance and potential drama resulting from people not wanting to participate essentially being forced to anyways by sheer proxy of others around them participating fully.

Biggest example I can think of is the White Plague business Eyes of Old had a year back. The biggest problem I had with it was that the whole "mental disease with no known cure" would have essentially been a mass extinction event that would put the Scourge to utter shame. Didn't help that, at least in my case, that I was forced into playing along just by the sheer amount of people playing with that event and the pathology of said disease.

I totally agree with this. It would take a lot of planning on my end and conversations with those involved to avoid messy setups and what not, but it can be done. Sometimes though I think people need to understand too that a lot goes into events and there is never a perfect one. Outcomes change, things happen, ect. Back in the day, I did a lot of events and I really learned from them so I am not completely going into this blind. :x

What I think would be really neat for large server events would be to break them up so certain guilds worked on different aspects of the story and then it all lead up to something. An idea like this would benefit a lot of groups because not all of us are on the same schedule/have the same guild activity on certain days. It also narrows the numbers down and avoids that cluster of spammy RP, people getting annoyed they can't stay much, ect.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Something not military-based.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
09/29/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Venita

Of course, I'd love to have you back on because I thought the Six Nation group was great. I would tweak around some of the ideas you had though.

I agree, it ended up being more a work in progress. Then, a bunch of people gathered for it and they all wanted different things. I would think, if you were to start something similiar, that it should be started with a core group of members who are already dedicated. I bit off a little more than I could chew with all the voting, I never got to do the storyline I had intended. I still have some great Horde contacts from it though.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

I don't see why you have to voice your disapproval of someone's roleplay to make your point.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I don't think he was talking about the RP, but rather how it was handled and suggesting we learn from that to make a different server-wide RP, Fer.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/29/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Systar
I don't think he was talking about the RP, but rather how it was handled and suggesting we learn from that to make a different server-wide RP, Fer.

He was criticizing the roleplay and suggesting roleplay like that was bad. There's no need to do that whatsoever to make his point.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/29/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Venita
A good excuse to bug Kerdic. \o/

There is ALWAYS a good reason to bug Kerdic. ^_^

Venitamiss, I shall bug you in-game. ^_^
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
09/29/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Ferenold

He was criticizing the roleplay and suggesting roleplay like that was bad. There's no need to do that whatsoever to make his point.

I don't understand? From everything I saw of that roleplay, that is what happened...? I enjoyed it, but I watched as a bystander and only participated on alts as minor characters who interacted with the main ones. But, I can see how it would be difficult for someone who is a regular RPer to feel like they're being forced into an RP by sheer size. I don't see how that is being overly critical. Having a personal opinion on the way an event was handled is different than slander.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/29/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Sreech

White Knighting is cute and all, from time to time, but let's be frank and 'nip this in the bud'. Briswald pointed out a flaw in EoO's server-encompassing event. He didn't state the roleplay was bad, if you read, which is apparent to anyone that will scroll-up to see what you're on about.

He points out that it had no distinct build-up and pushed an end-game agenda that allowed for very little deviation from the "plate", which was that there was no cure and the disease by its design was rampant amongst the populace.

Its a valid example, one which some people agree was apt, so drop the guard dog routine.

---

He was criticizing roleplay that there was no need to criticize.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]