Tank Lounge 49: Every Day I'm Shufflin'

88 Pandaren Monk
Holy !@#$ - how have I just now discovered the Tank Lounge!

=]

I R Happee.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Hard modes today! So excited.
90 Worgen Death Knight
10/09/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Arie
Hard modes today! So excited.

Yay!
100 Pandaren Warrior
Not quoting the wall but I feel your pain eflow.

except our healers were oom as well.

But we were 2mins from the enrage at 55% so he probably should have been near dead anyway not almost to the second cycle.
Edited by Ðemolition on 10/9/2012 12:03 PM PDT
39 Worgen Warlock
We've still got some stragglers. Normals start next week for us.

Today we start with a guild LFR. I'm more excited/nervous for this than anything.

My experience as a monk has been up and down; I saw a huge difference in my playstyle as soon as heroics came about. I'm interested to see how it plays out in a raiding environment, even one like LFR.

I don't wanna go back to my pally. I LOVE my monk. >_>
100 Draenei Paladin
Holy !@#$ - how have I just now discovered the Tank Lounge!

=]

I R Happee.

Welcome aboard!
90 Pandaren Mage
This DPS experiment is making me twitch.
39 Worgen Warlock
10/09/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Oiynut

I don't see why, since tank damage stagnates per encounter whereas DPSer's doesn't. Tank damage doesn't really contribute to how quickly an encounter is completed or how easily it is.

If I gear up I will probably go from doing 100k to 110k, maybe 120k on an encounter. Meanwhile, a DPSer will go from doing 80k to 160k or even 240k on that same encounter. A 10-20% increase vs a 100%, 200% increase - in the same ilev.

DPS has MUCH more influence on the outcome of an encounter than a tank. So who cares if your tank feels good about himself for "contributing", and who cares if "tanks doing the most damage" attracts more people to the tanking role?

I expect tank damage will be removed from WoL rankings in a month or so.
90 Human Death Knight
So if I did all my math properly, it looks like stamina is actually a better mitigation stat than mastery - if you can get enough of it to consistently get the minimum shield, which is easier than you might think.

We'll see how much I can get with this tier of raid gear.

I have no clue what your plan of attack in mathing this out was, but are you assuming "shotgunning" Death Strikes? That seems like the plan of attack where you'll get a lot of minimum heal Death Strikes?
100 Human Warlock
10/09/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Rijdot

That's my only real suggestion for this, although it'll likely fix itself anyways. Given that tank damage is largely a product of the Boss' DPS, it won't change dramatically and will be outscaled anyways (as you mentioned). It might be time for WoL to put up a Tank specific section though.

Also, what happened to you WoWHead? These tooltips are awful and kinda incomplete. :/
90 Human Death Knight
10/09/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Serinicas
Also, what happened to you WoWHead? These tooltips are awful and kinda incomplete. :/

Tooltips on what? I know there was huge problems with trinkets. It made modeling trinkets suck.
90 Pandaren Mage
10/09/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Rijdot

I don't see why, since tank damage stagnates per encounter whereas DPSer's doesn't. Tank damage doesn't really contribute to how quickly an encounter is completed or how easily it is.

If I gear up I will probably go from doing 100k to 110k, maybe 120k on an encounter. Meanwhile, a DPSer will go from doing 80k to 160k or even 240k on that same encounter. A 10-20% increase vs a 100%, 200% increase - in the same ilev.

DPS has MUCH more influence on the outcome of an encounter than a tank. So who cares if your tank feels good about himself for "contributing", and who cares if "tanks doing the most damage" attracts more people to the tanking role?

Sorry, poor communication on my part. I was main tank for a casual guild from BC on with breaks for irl reasons. I decided to go DPS for MoP and the transition is more challenging than I thought. It's hard to be a passenger when you're used to doing all the driving.

I'm a fan of the level of DPS tanks are doing. It's outrageous fun when I'm tanking and I like having a high bar to meet as a DPSer.
100 Blood Elf Priest
10/09/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Serinicas

It's not just wowhead. Blizzard's own tooltips are incorrect. e.g;

Price of Progress
Relic of Niuzao
100 Blood Elf Paladin
3h of elegon wipes, no kill, because apparently our dps sucks.

The only guild in the server that killed him, did with 3 healers and they still killed before the enrage. We were 2 healing it and didn't make it.

Some heads are going to roll ....

:X We wiped for a few hours last night on Elegon as well, but we've only managed to get through 1 'phase 2' part. Even getting all the little cylinders down quickly, we had too many adds up- and the boss very kindly let loose with about 6 more after we were stacked waiting to run back onto the platform. We've got to figure out what to do on that part, to actually get dps on the boss.

Also, shadow priest/warlock have a hard time killing their sparks the 2nd time. ><
100 Human Warlock
10/09/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Persephon
Tooltips on what? I know there was huge problems with trinkets. It made modeling trinkets suck.

Spells. :/ Chaos Bolt spawned this particular complaint; they had it written such that Mastery wasn't scaling the base damage, didn't actually illustrate that the multiplier they'd written in was mastery (it was just *1.24, which you'd have to actually have looked at Destruction's Mastery to realize that's what it was), and have no indication of how it scales with crit, just the tooltip stating that it does. It also doesn't specify if the equation is pre or post auto-crit, which is hard to tell without actually crunching the numbers myself (225% SP modifier could go either way).

I'm assuming that "(2163 ( + 225% of SpellPower) * (1.24))" is actually "((2163+(SP*2.25))*1.x)*2*1.y", where x is mastery % and y is crit %, but the *2 and *1.y are complete guesses.

It's not just wowhead. Blizzard's own tooltips are incorrect. e.g;

Eh, I'm willing to cut Blizzard slack. I don't know how much they have invested in the web design team, and if its even a different group than the API guys; in game stuff I consider an issue, but their website database ranks pretty low for importance. WoWHead on the other hand, is entirely their website. The questionable equations aren't new, but it doesn't seem to be a concern. :/

Unrelated: I don't like a certain site that asks questions of a mechanical being to provide stats. Someone in the Warlock forums pointed to Icy-Veins and Noxxic Destro guides, and how they had completely different stat priorities, and then asked what stats other Destro locks were prioritizing. Reasonable discussion ensued, noting that everywhere suggested something different, but "I'm gearing Crit, didn't like Mastery," etc. Someone from let's say, Answer Miss Robco, posted that they were one of the people behind the aforementioned site, and how they favour mastery on their site, but you can change the weights to crit if you want by going to <link>. And by looking at the OPs character <link>, she noted that the OP could reforge more efficiently! Which is cool and all, but entirely unhelpful, and not at all related to the thread.

I swear the people from that site just constantly search the forums for any mention of their site, or competitors. I know they've come in here to defend their questionable suggestions before as well.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Of course, now they've made it so that paladins tanks value haste over dodge and parry, and have to hard cap expertise...

Waaaaaaaait. Over dodge and parry wat? Time to go look up Theck's stuff.
100 Tauren Paladin
Missed my normal log in. Guess I should go read and do something productive.

Math is the bane of my existence therefore Theck's stuff is hard to peruse for me.
100 Human Warlock
I had no idea you competed with other players for clouds in the skyrace for Cloud Serpent.

Started off trying to beat the NPCs, ended up in the lovely position of eating the dust of various 10 stack people who zipped along through every cloud.

Funnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Not. =P

Never gonna bother with that again after exalted. I got the achievements on the first day, enough of this silliness.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Yay for heroics being a gib fest! bleed ticks and melee swings wooo... I'm 634k buffed and getting rocked.
100 Pandaren Warrior
10/09/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Nìkolus
Yay for heroics being a gib fest! bleed ticks and melee swings wooo... I'm 634k buffed and getting rocked.

Well what did you expect.

Tanking is always either an afterthought or lolglobaled
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]