Friends Giving...

90 Human Death Knight
Hello.

I would like to say if I am sorry if this is in the wrong section because I wasn't sure where to put this 'odd' question.

Yesterday, my friend and I were chatting and then suddenly he said he was going to leave WoW. I was stunned, and saddened by this and asked why. He said that he was on his mates account and he was doing it for him. He said he was leaving in a few days because his mate would want his account back.

Does this count as account theft? Basically, his mate gave him his account to him to level, to help him out.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Warlock
Actually, nope. The account belongs to whoever's name is on the account. So your friend has been breaking the rules by playing an on account that isn't his, and could have gotten the account permanently banned:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html
You represent that you are an adult in your country of residence. You agree to these Terms of Use on behalf of yourself and, at your discretion, for one (1) minor child for whom you are a parent or guardian and whom you have authorized to play the Game using the license granted to you.

And

Blizzard does not recognize the transfer of World of Warcraft Accounts or BNET Accounts (each an “Account”). You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void.

Sorry! :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Actually, nope. The account belongs to whoever's name is on the account. So your friend has been breaking the rules by playing an on account that isn't his, and could have gotten the account permanently banned:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html
You represent that you are an adult in your country of residence. You agree to these Terms of Use on behalf of yourself and, at your discretion, for one (1) minor child for whom you are a parent or guardian and whom you have authorized to play the Game using the license granted to you.

And

Blizzard does not recognize the transfer of World of Warcraft Accounts or BNET Accounts (each an “Account”). You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void.

Sorry! :(

I feel bad for him. What should I do? I don't want to get him banned because I am one of his friends.

Would I get banned for not telling Blizzard this and/or could I get banned for him telling me that he was on his friends account to help him?

I would like to send Blizzard a ticket about this but I don't know what to put it under. I am quite worried about being banned even though I did nothing wrong.
Edited by Âzzarth on 9/29/2012 10:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Warlock
I truly feel bad for him as well, since it sounds like his other "friend" either didn't know the rules, didn't care, or was so focused on taking advantage of your friend that he was willing to take the risk.

In either case, it would have been the account that was banned, not the player. Blizzard isn't quite that mean. :)

No, you won't get banned for not telling Blizzard.. or for telling them. Ticketing may lock the account down and make the person who so rudely took advantage of your friend jump through an extra hoop or two. That might happen anyway if your friend, and his "friend" live far enough away from each other.

Unfortunately, since the original owner is taking the account back, it means your friend is losing out. If he ever wishes to rejoin the game, make sure to let him know to start an account in his own name. That way, he'll never have to lose it again.

I wish you and your friend all the best!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I truly feel bad for him as well, since it sounds like his other "friend" either didn't know the rules, didn't care, or was so focused on taking advantage of your friend that he was willing to take the risk.

In either case, it would have been the account that was banned, not the player. Blizzard isn't quite that mean. :)

No, you won't get banned for not telling Blizzard.. or for telling them. Ticketing may lock the account down and make the person who so rudely took advantage of your friend jump through an extra hoop or two. That might happen anyway if your friend, and his "friend" live far enough away from each other.

Unfortunately, since the original owner is taking the account back, it means your friend is losing out. If he ever wishes to rejoin the game, make sure to let him know to start an account in his own name. That way, he'll never have to lose it again.

I wish you and your friend all the best!

Thank you. My friend does have a trail account though, but he says he won't be on it much.

I am presuming they live close together...could that lower the punishment for him and his friend?
Edited by Âzzarth on 9/30/2012 1:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/30/2012 01:15 AMPosted by Âzzarth
I am presuming they live close together...could that lower the punishment for him and his friend?

Nope, not if Blizzard knows about it. The punishment is the same whether it's friends, family, spouse, or a random person living in china you paid to level your characters for you. All will result in a permanent ban on that account.

The ONLY time account sharing is allowed is when it's between one adult and one minor child that is under the adult's legal guardianship (parent, court appointed guardian, foster parent, relative with legal custody, etc). If an adult shares his account with multiple children in his care, that's against the account sharing rules as well.

The reason why Blizzard makes an exception for one guardian and one child is because people under 18 aren't supposed to sign legal contracts without parental consent. The ToU and EULA are technically legal contracts, and this allows for parents to set up play-time boundaries through the parental controls.
Edited by Avanna on 9/30/2012 1:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/30/2012 01:25 AMPosted by Avanna

Nope, not if Blizzard knows about it. The punishment is the same whether it's friends, family, spouse, or a random person living in china you paid to level your characters for you. All will result in a permanent ban on that account.

The ONLY time account sharing is allowed is when it's between one adult and one minor child that is under the adult's legal guardianship (parent, court appointed guardian, foster parent, relative with legal custody, etc). If an adult shares his account with multiple children in his care, that's against the account sharing rules as well.

The reason why Blizzard makes an exception for one guardian and one child is because people under 18 aren't supposed to sign legal contracts without parental consent. The ToU and EULA are technically legal contracts, and this allows for parents to set up play-time boundaries through the parental controls.

Ah, OK.

Thank you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]