Why does BS require 2 other professions?

94 Blood Elf Paladin
Leather working requires skinning, tailoring doesn't require anything, but blacksmithing requires mining and alchemy. This is compounded by the alchemy recipie having a 1 day CD.

Add to this that leather workers (with skinning) and tailors can get the BoP motes of harmany they need from the mobs they would kill to get their other mats while blacksmiths (with mining) do not get them from mining.
Reply Quote
I liked it better when miners could smelt the rare metals instead of alchemists, but they decided alchemists needed the extra cash.

Also, nothing is stopping you from killing a few mobs every time you stop to pick up a mining node. Just look around for something high level to hit.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Alchemists also need blacksmith/miners for some of our materials and of course herbing. In order for alchemists to make some of the transmutes, we have to buy the metals from them. Enchanters used to, may still need, another prof (blacksmith?) for their wand. I'm sure there are other examples.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
I seem to not have been clear enough that I was compairing the 3 armor crafting professions. Also who cares if leather workers or tailers needed a 3rd one 4-8 years ago. All pre-raid purple t1 craftable blacksmith plate recipies require living steel. That is a fairly large hurdle to overcome vs. tailer and leatherworkers.

P.S. As far as the other ones mentioned you can't say an alchemist needs a miner as the transmute is a gigantic money maker and not the other way around.
Reply Quote
3 Blood Elf Warrior
you forgot JC requires alchemy to get meta gems........
Also my LW/skinner got more motes of harmony from (non-skinnable) humanoid quest mobs than anything else.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
you forgot JC requires alchemy to get meta gems........
Also my LW/skinner got more motes of harmony from (non-skinnable) humanoid quest mobs than anything else.

Once again I was compairing the 3 armor crafters. Also your mote drop is purely perception as the drop rate is the same on wowhead from humanoid and beast of the same level.

Seems to be very little actual discussion on why plate armor should have this requirment while others do not. Living steel should be made by miners and not alchemists.

P.S. even JC does not require alch to make all their top pieces, while a BS does.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Enchanters need rods made by smiths.

There's your market. Works for me whenever some nubtard doesn't kill it completely. :(
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
09/30/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Zubadizzle

not anymore
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
09/30/2012 04:37 PMPosted by Canti
That is a fairly large hurdle to overcome vs. tailer and leatherworkers.

Blacksmiths don't compete with leatherworkers and tailors. They compete with other blacksmiths.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The trades have always been interconnected. This encourages us to engage further in the economy and have crafting alts.

It isn't really a hinderance to us. If we have to buy additional materials for something we make, cost goes up.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Snorie:
I liked it better when miners could smelt the rare metals instead of alchemists, but they decided alchemists needed the extra cash.

What happened, exactly?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
outside of Wrath of the Lich King. Blacksmithing has always been heavily dependent upon Alchemy for our higher tier recipes.

First it was Arcanite, then it was Primal Mights, then it was Truegold.

It's part of the deal at this point. Either learn to accept it or switch professions.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

There's your market. Works for me whenever some nubtard doesn't kill it completely. :(

blizzard removed the requirement of blacksmith made Enchanting Rods. Everything requires a Copper one now.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
outside of Wrath of the Lich King. Blacksmithing has always been heavily dependent upon Alchemy for our higher tier recipes.

First it was Arcanite, then it was Primal Mights, then it was Truegold.

It's part of the deal at this point. Either learn to accept it or switch professions.

My tailor mage and leather working druid both have a much easier (and less expensive) time getting crafted T1 pre-raid gear. Why should plate have such a larger cost and harder time doing the same? Seriously tailers just need 40 cloth (about 50-60g on the AH right now) to make one of their rare pieces. How is that compairable to living steel?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
There's no crying in blacksmithing.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin

Belt buckles was where it wzas at, but those require living steel now...
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
09/30/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Keeblik
That is a fairly large hurdle to overcome vs. tailer and leatherworkers.

Blacksmiths don't compete with leatherworkers and tailors. They compete with other blacksmiths.

This isn't an AH thread, this is crafting professions to make pre-raid t1 gear thread. BS is not inline with tailoring or leatherworking for crafting pre-raid T1 armor pieces.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]