Leveling - Cat or Boomie?

90 Blood Elf Warlock
Qualifier: I quest almost entirely solo and I'll occasionally use LFD to break the monotony.

My Druid is 61 right now, no BOAs. For the purposes of leveling, should I go with Feral or Boomie?
Which is more efficient?
Which is faster*?
Does feral still have the ungodly complicated priority rotation it did in Cata?

*by faster I'm referring mostly to how fast the target dies and getting to the next one.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Boomkin would be your answer.

Feral is fairly braindead and works but with Boomkin you'll be able to advance from target to target with less gaps in your killing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Feral, gather up mobs, SR up + Trash + Swipe = Win
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Boomkin for ranged tapping of mobs, plus with some cooldowns you can kill packs of mobs at a time. Once mobs start getting higher health boomkin seems a lot better since you can heal in boomkin form when you need it unlike feral cat.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Not entirely true. I use my PS procs on HT, meaning I get one large heal in cat form every 6 seconds or so, which is probably healing for about the same as what a full rejuv is going to net you. In that regard, including LoTP I'd say the two specs are about even. I'll find out for sure when I level up my boomkin from 85-90.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Quest as bear. things die a fast enough and your survivability is amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My biggest mistake this expansion was leveling boomie. While i can gather 2-3 mobs in MOP they die slow. Single target I see every other dps class taking down targets much faster than i do. If I could do it again I would stick with bear
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/29/2012 08:33 AMPosted by Vongola
My biggest mistake this expansion was leveling boomie. While i can gather 2-3 mobs in MOP they die slow. Single target I see every other dps class taking down targets much faster than i do. If I could do it again I would stick with bear

This, but I noticed every other DPS class taking down targets much faster than I do in Feral, too. ;x
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
While i can gather 2-3 mobs

There is your issue. You should be doing no less than 5 mobs at a time. I got realm first as balance, the ferals I saw couldn't hold a candle to me.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Boomkin would be your answer.

Feral is fairly braindead and works but with Boomkin you'll be able to advance from target to target with less gaps in your killing.

Thoroughly disagree. Boomy kill soooooooo slow. I recently switched, and even with worse gear I kill so fast with feral its not even funny. SR, rake, mangle, mangle, mangle rip, move on to the next guy while the other guy bleeds out.
Reply Quote
.....I use my PS procs on HT, meaning I get one large heal in cat form every 6 seconds or so, which is probably healing for about the same as what a full rejuv is going to net you. ....

This. In addition, using Nature's Swiftness/HT every minute as well for another instant HT, ferals are in a good place for survivabilty now. Use your Barkskin, PS-HT, NS-HT, Lifespirit (if herbalist), LB (if herbalist), and SI as needed, and we can plow through stuff quite well. We just need to trian ourselves now that we actually have to use the survival CDs avail to us, since we didn't have to in cata.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
09/29/2012 09:01 AMPosted by Bob
I got realm first as balance, the ferals I saw couldn't hold a candle to me

Boomkin leveling got !@#$ing miserable at lvl89. Inc 2.5sec Starfires...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Must be doing it wrong then. I was pulling 6-10 mobs at a time and kiting them around w/ typhoon + mushrooms and starfall. Easiest to level ever.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Druid
I started leveling a boomkin with relatively no problems getting the mobs dead and when I felt the need for variety, I'd just hop into kitty form to take out a couple now and then. Now I'm at level 67, wearing boa chest and shoulders and I'm doing half the damage/dps as anyone else.

Frustrated is putting it mildly. The only good thing through all of this is I'm not running out of mana - ever. I'm going to try making some changes to my gear with low level enchants to get more spirit/hit and haste and see if this helps.

People say not to worry about at this low a level, but if I'm not running about even with other casters now, then I'll be just about worthless when I get to 90...

All that being said, I'm still sticking with my boomkin for the duration on this toon. I figure that if it takes a little longer to get a group of mobs down, while questing, at least I know that I can keep my self healed during process... LOL
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
NND
09/29/2012 05:44 AMPosted by Angeliqe
Not entirely true. I use my PS procs on HT, meaning I get one large heal in cat form every 6 seconds or so, which is probably healing for about the same as what a full rejuv is going to net you. In that regard, including LoTP I'd say the two specs are about even. I'll find out for sure when I level up my boomkin from 85-90.

So you're getting 5 CPs every six seconds? *eyebrows raised*

Moonkin has the ability to spam HT during high damage incoming period, Feral doesn't. We also get a disengage and a snare to keep incoming damage low to begin with.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I checked this thread last night before I logged for the day and I only had that first reply. I figured my thread was gonna die like so many often do. lol

I check it tonight and... holy crap replies! Thank you to everyone that replied. From what I'm hearing and reading, it looks like it varies based on level range. Which is odd.

I've already got my INT gear running, so I guess I'll be sticking with Boomie for now. Though I'm going to look more into Bear and see if that works for me.
Reply Quote
Feral leveling, and for that fact, any druid leveling is extremely slow.. I think they nerfed us too much ..
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
Boomkin, you can tap with SF and MF -- and mobs will almost be dead by the time they reach you, then just loot the stack of mobs at your feet.
Feral you have to run to each one pretty much and loot every mob individually. Damage is also subpar because you can't shred.
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
What was your method Bob? What is a rotation you found yourself sticking to at one point or another?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]