Level 90 mage talents.....clunky,bad

27 Night Elf Druid
from playing my mage.....having to evo prepull and during fights(most in this game have tons of movement), every 40 seconds to make the most of our level 90 talents is very clunky to say the least.i do not look forward to doing this all expansion so i can do competitive dps.holes of down time, while everyone keeps dpsing is not "fun" blizz.who designed this?

warcraft is now a fast paced game, there is very little space in encounters to have to constantly keep doing this let alone for the next 1.5 - 2 years.im sick of it already after a day.....

please address........
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I prefer Rune/Incanter's Ward over Invocation for pretty much the reason you specified. It gives my spec a very "clunky" feel. Main reason for this being it requires about 6 seconds of uninterrupted channeling every 40 seconds. Often over the course of those 6 seconds either:

a. Your cast will somehow be interrupted.

b. The boss will drop bad stuff on you and you'll be forced to stop your cast and move out of it.

Now, this can be avoided if you pick a time where you know you will have 6 seconds to channel freely, /however/. This is more often than not, not a viable option. You do not know when the boss is going to randomly decide to place fire beneath your feet, and if this does happen you are forced to interrupt your cast, move, wait for Evocation to come off cd and recast. Terribly annoying.

I can see how it would fare better than Rune or Incanter's in a fight with no movement and no potentially deadly mechanics, but these are few and far between so to speak.

TL;DR pick Rune or Incanter's instead, whichever you feel best suits the encounter and your playstyle. No one is forcing you to spec into Invocation and the difference between the three talents is not game-breaking. The dps gained from being able to make proper use of your talent will be greater than the dps lost because you are unable to use Invocation effectively.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Sin, just curious, what type of numbers are you pulling on single target bosses as fire?
Edited by Floaties on 9/29/2012 4:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
09/29/2012 02:14 AMPosted by Sin
b. The boss will drop bad stuff on you and you'll be forced to stop your cast and move out of it.

I haven't run any of the new dungeons yet.... but shouldn't Ice Barrier be able to handle a ground DoT for a few sec? Or is it too weak to be useful on higher level content?
Edited by Obsìdían on 9/29/2012 5:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
09/29/2012 05:42 AMPosted by Obsìdían

I haven't run any of the new dungeons yet.... but shouldn't Ice Barrier be able to handle a ground DoT for a few sec? Or is it too weak to be useful on higher level content?

most of the ground AoE will eat your Barrier quick.

Honestly, been thinking of leveling my Ele shaman to play fire....fire mage doesn't feel like a fire mage when you have to stop and stand on top of a rune, or stop to evoke. I don't really wanna give healers a heart attack standing in bad to get my mana back....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I like the idea behind Rune of Power.

But it really needs to be insta-cast.

:(

I'm find with the 3s CD and being on the GCD, but a 1.5s cast time every time you need to drop a new one because a mob/boss either dropped something on the ground or will eat you if you stay there is /sadface.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Blizzard removes ISF from Warlocks because it's too clunky. Blizzard gives ISF to mages through evocate because _____. Blizzard logic.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I dislike each and every one of them from a PvE perspective. They are to situational, too easily countered. On top of that, they aren't really fun even if they were better designed, and kept up easily. They are just flat % damage boosters.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I REALLY hope that Blizzard improves them.

Seriously, those talents are terrible.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Okay gentlemen,
I heard all of the complaints about our level 90 talents. But I reserved judgement until I had them. Ive tried all three out (running a few heroics) and I must say that I am extremely upset with how the level 90 talents completely ruin our rotation. Yes, as was said many times that it is very "clunky".
We spend so much time worrying about where to place the rune and when to replace it that it's no longer fun to DPS.
I do like the damage boost but with any fights involving movement im going to be forced to take another gimick talent that still doesn't fit quite right.
This whole "Stop Casting" idea needs to go away.

My damage is at an all time low. I do ok vs bosses without movement (Still believe that its sub-par damage output) but my damage is near non-existant on anything else.
I am just hoping that the mages are extremely gear dependant and a higher Item Level will solve my lack luster damage issue.
I play my mage for one reason only and that is to see the big numbers. (Number one on the dps chart never hurts either)
Now doing what I love is starting to feel like a burden.
We'll see come raid time.
My two cents.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
*sigh* Reading this is depressing. Sounds like my favorite class (and coincidentally only class I play) is ruined. Guess I'll have to wait and see for myself when I hit 90....... if ya'll are right this is really, really depressing.....

Even more depressing is I'm an annual pass subscriber.... locked in til March. Hopefully it'll be fixed by then.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Edited by Racthoh on 10/2/2012 8:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I'm a noob mage. I have crap for timely achievements. I'm not a theorycrafter. I'd like to think I'm middle of the pack as far as how well I play mage, but that's probably stretching it.

WITH THAT SAID

I'd like to see RoP have a little bigger radius, and when you stand on it, you get a buff that stacks up to....lets say 5 times. If you move out of RoP, your buff begins to drop off, one stack every....2 seconds maybe? Increases by the same rate while standing in it, up to max. Perhaps increase the CD of RoP to 10/12 seconds.

Apologies if someones already suggested something similar, I had to beat my head against the wall after reading the first 6 pages, and i skipped to this response.

Reposted from the other talents thread, since that one is full of people b1tching and not trying to come up with creative solutions for Blizzard to unf*ck themselves.

Should hit 85 by Monday on my Elemental Shaman, hopefully be raid ready in a couple weeks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm a noob mage. I have crap for timely achievements. I'm not a theorycrafter. I'd like to think I'm middle of the pack as far as how well I play mage, but that's probably stretching it.

WITH THAT SAID

I'd like to see RoP have a little bigger radius, and when you stand on it, you get a buff that stacks up to....lets say 5 times. If you move out of RoP, your buff begins to drop off, one stack every....2 seconds maybe? Increases by the same rate while standing in it, up to max. Perhaps increase the CD of RoP to 10/12 seconds.

Apologies if someones already suggested something similar, I had to beat my head against the wall after reading the first 6 pages, and i skipped to this response.

Reposted from the other talents thread, since that one is full of people b1tching and not trying to come up with creative solutions for Blizzard to unf*ck themselves.

Should hit 85 by Monday on my Elemental Shaman, hopefully be raid ready in a couple weeks.

how else to say it ? were unhappy
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
very unhappy
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]