Rogue PvE in 5.1.0 (All Specializations)

100 Night Elf Rogue
Holy McJesus, V. Where did you find the time for all this?

Beautiful stuff. Plus, added bonus for me: I can now just refer folks to various pages on here rather than doing what I had tentatively planned, which was to considerably elongate the PvE sections of my thingie with more detailed answers.

Aeriwen gets all the credit for answering leveling questions, btw, not me. I address a few really basic ones in my sticky, but mostly it's an across-the-board FAQ that tries to avoid going too far into specifics. The other stickies are for that.

You write the mods yet to ask for a switcheroo?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
LB
10/01/2012 04:36 AMPosted by Mylittlepwni
Thanks for the guide but im quitting the rogue and leveling my warrior...

We won't miss you.

Run along little Timmy, the real rogues are at work.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Great work, I requested a sticky
Reply Quote
In the Assassination rotation section you mentioned doing 4-5 combo point envenoms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with anticipation, shouldn't we always be aiming for 5cp envenoms?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
10/01/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Trololololo
In the Assassination rotation section you mentioned doing 4-5 combo point envenoms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with anticipation, shouldn't we always be aiming for 5cp envenoms?

With anticipation you should always be using 5 cp finishers for your envenom, as well as changing a few other things.

Anticipation probably deserves an entire section to itself, its kind of a big change.

Oh and

10/01/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Kalandrial
Great work, I requested a sticky

Wow that was the first time I actually saw a post get stickied.

Twas beautiful.
Edited by Woran on 10/1/2012 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Great guide. So was I seeing it correctly that haste was our top stat as combat? So like over pure agi gems in red sockets use an agi/haste one?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/01/2012 03:36 PMPosted by Stabynarwhal
Great guide. So was I seeing it correctly that haste was our top stat as combat? So like over pure agi gems in red sockets use an agi/haste one?

I posted this in another thread, but this should answer your question.

Keep in mind that gemming pure haste in a red socket is only viable if the set bonus for gemming a red does not outweigh it.

Assassination:

Agility stat weight: 2.729

Mastery stat weight: 1.337

Delicate Primordial Ruby - 160 agi - Total Value = 436.64

160 * 2.729 = 436.64

Adept Vermillion Onyx - 80 agi and 160 mastery - Total Value = 432.24

80 * 2.729 = 218.32

160 * 1.337 = 213.92

218.32 + 213.92 = 432.24

Combat:

Agility stat weight: 2.770

Haste stat weight: 1.635

Delicate Primordial Ruby - 160 agi - Total Weight = 443.2

160 * 2.770 = 443.2

Deft Vermillion Onyx - 80 agi and 160 haste - Total Value = 483.2

80 * 2.770 = 221.6

160 * 1.635 = 261.6

221.6 + 261.6 = 483.2

Quick Sun's Radiance - 320 Haste - Total Value = 523.2

320 * 1.635 = 523.2
Edited by Kalandrial on 10/1/2012 5:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
09/30/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Verelyse
You should use this ability to use ambush outside of shadow dance in order to trigger both master of subtlety and increase your find weakness uptime.

Actually Garrote might be higher DPE. Not sure. Would need to run tests. But yeah might be better to just say "opening sequence" or something neutral.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I'm bummed this isn't on top of the forum, V. I literally panicked for a moment when I saw the old one was gone and thought they misunderstood your request. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
About your trinket list; What about Coren's and the Engineering trinket? Where do they fall?
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
10/01/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Zanumas
About your trinket list; What about Coren's and the Engineering trinket? Where do they fall?

Posted by Verelyse:
Trinkets:

These lists are copied from the Elitist Jerks forums ( www.elitistjerks.com/f78/ ) and were compiled and calculated by Rfeann. I elected not to add Coren's Cold Chromium Coaster or Ghost Iron Dragonling, as these trinkets are relatively weak and should be replaced by one of those listed.
Edited by Sheevah on 10/1/2012 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
The Coaster is, relative to everything else on the primary list V shared, pretty terrible. Even if you reforge out of some of that crit, it's still a whole mess of crit and not a lot else.

The Dragonling may still prove to be pretty decent. We still don't know (or, at least, I still don't know) exactly what the deal is with the proc and how strong it is; depending on that, it could be roughly in the same bucket as the alchemy trinket, gve or take.
Edited by Rfeann on 10/1/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Oh sorry was just looking at the list itself - my bad.

The proc is usually less than 1% of my damage done, it's mostly for the stats themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Great guide, but one question

So why is only the Crit cloak enchant listed? The hit enchant is the same amount (180), and since for combat for example you reforge crit to hit anyways why not just.... use the hit enchant? At worst you just don't reforge crit to hit elsewhere and leave it as crit and in better cases maybe you don't have to reforge haste or mastery to hit.
Edited by Desukà on 10/2/2012 3:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
so. did you pull those stat weights off EJ? or come up with them yourself?

no snark, im wondering where they came from. I did some simcs myself, and came out with wildly different stat weights for combat specifically. not enough to change the order, but enough that it's never worth gemming haste.

(I think I came out with something like 3.0 agi, ~2hit/xp, 1.1 haste, <1 mastery/crit. I changed quite a few gems/enchants around while doing a few sims, gemming pure agi indeed came out well ahead).

Basically im wondering what those numbers are based on, or if i just did something wildly wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Enchant Weapon - Windsong.
Enchant Weapon - Elemental Force.

What's the better Enchant? I liek Windsong, But for Mut, Crit... really? I don't want that to proc!
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
10/02/2012 05:51 AMPosted by Cwitters
so. did you pull those stat weights off EJ? or come up with them yourself?

The stat weights are from EJ.

10/02/2012 06:39 AMPosted by Gummibeär
What's the better Enchant? I liek Windsong, But for Mut, Crit... really? I don't want that to proc!

The enchants are listed so that the best one is on top, and the ones below it decrease in value as you go.

So for:

Weapons: Enchant Weapon - Dancing Steel.
Enchant Weapon - Windsong.
Enchant Weapon - Elemental Force.

Dancing Steel > Windsong > Elemental Force

Also worth mentioning on the Windsong enchant, since you mentioned the crit proc:
Unless it has changed, it's possible to have all three (crit, haste, mastery) procs active at the same time. So, although it is random, having the crit buff up wouldn't prevent you from getting your wanted mastery proc.
Edited by Sheevah on 10/2/2012 6:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Meant to tell you on RID the other night but with all we got going on getting ready to raid it slipped my mind. Excellent job.
Reply Quote
35 Draenei Priest
Congrats on the guide Vere; glad you got it stickied so soon. : )
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]