edit:Baggy is that the real you?
Edited by Charax on 10/19/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight
You've put on a few pounds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
anyone else think this is silly?

There is no reward for being a nice guy in this game, other then the feeling you get from performing an altruistic act. If everyone played that way, everyone would be level 1.

To be fair, the same holds true in life as well. Yet I'm sure many people that play this game are quite nice people IRL.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/20/2012 01:47 AMPosted by Eadoin
To be fair, the same holds true in life as well. Yet I'm sure many people that play this game are quite nice people IRL.

Now that you mention it Apollo it was oddly civilized at the Hellscream realm meet-up @ Blizzcon 2010. It also helped that 99.9% of us were Alliance and we managed to stuff the one or two Horde that actually showed up in a corner by themselves. It's great when RL reflects the game. :)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
>I do not play guild wars, but a friend of mine does, and he tells me its the same here as it is there when it comes to mobs and nodes of things

I don't know which is funnier. That first guy who didn't read my mention of GW2 and the obvious follow-up comment about it, or the fact what you just said it absolutely NOT TRUE!

Do you care if my guild raids on a different day or time than you? Why not? Easy: IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU.

Nodes and mobs in GW2 are the same way in that if you're fighting something.. and someone else comes up and tags the mob, you still get full credit, you still get all the loot. There is *NO DOWNSIDE*. I suppose there are obtuse purists who insist that no one "help" them when they're killing something, but in general, if some random person comes along and hits something you're fighting, it's nothing but a benefit.

Resource nodes are even easier because all nodes are specific TO YOU. No one can take a node from you; what they see on their screen is not what you're seeing. They get their own node, and you get yours. It's brilliant in its simplicity. Coming back to WoW makes me want to quit even more when you play such an outdated mechanic.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/20/2012 01:47 AMPosted by Eadoin
Yet I'm sure many people that play this game are quite nice people IRL.

Even I was nice apparently.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Nodes and mobs in GW2 are the same way in that if you're fighting something.. and someone else comes up and tags the mob, you still get full credit, you still get all the loot. There is *NO DOWNSIDE*. I suppose there are obtuse purists who insist that no one "help" them when they're killing something, but in general, if some random person comes along and hits something you're fighting, it's nothing but a benefit.

Resource nodes are even easier because all nodes are specific TO YOU. No one can take a node from you; what they see on their screen is not what you're seeing. They get their own node, and you get yours. It's brilliant in its simplicity. Coming back to WoW makes me want to quit even more when you play such an outdated mechanic.

Then why bother posting here? Go play your casual game and leave us alone.
Edited by Eadoin on 10/23/2012 12:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/22/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Fearnot
Even I was nice apparently.

LOL GOOD 1!!!!!!! ;) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Reply Quote
92 Troll Druid
Last week when I went to do the quest...

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=31395/a-celestial-experience

...a constant stream of people kept flying in to chat with big ol' Xuen to get their "let me into the big boy town" quest out of the way. I ended up staying there in bear form for about 45 minutes tanking everyone's first test, second test, and third test. The majority of the people I tanked for were alliance (and I'm glad none of them were flagged for pvp because I was thrashing on cooldown while kiting multiple "tests" around the room). I was keeping myself alive through self heals because everyone coming through was either dps or alliance.

I wasn't the only one lending a helping hand either. Almost everyone stayed for at least a couple extra "tests" assisting with damage to make it easier on everyone, and overall it was a great display of the most helpful and cooperative game play I've ever seen in WoW and it happened on the server that you claim is going downhill in the courtesy department.

That all being said, I wish I was still on a PvP server so I could've just killed them all as they came through instead. I can't believe you're complaining about people being jerks on a PvE server.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/24/2012 08:55 AMPosted by Mouthhugs
I ended up staying there in bear form for about 45 minutes tanking everyone's first test, second test, and third test.

Thanks.
I dont know who you tanked for, but im pretty sure they enjoyed it or at least thought so.

Stuff like this is what im talking about.
Some people dont care.
The other day I was running around doing herbs and some guy ran through with a whole buttload of mobs sucked onto his a$$ and as he was dying, i casted healing spells and we both downed the lot of them.

Doing one or two nice things like that is what im talking about.
Rather than just ignoring everyone around you in a "one for all and only one for all" attitude.
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight

Doing one or two nice things like that is what im talking about.
Rather than just ignoring everyone around you in a "one for all and only one for all" attitude.

Last time I gave you the zen guide on how to play wow without winding up on the forums expressing yourself the way you did (which will be summarized into !@#$%ing).

Now I return to highlight this passage you left us with. Do you yet understand the forces you contend with? Give up and take your peace while you still have it within before it becomes beyond your reach. I guarantee the battle you're picking with the world is much more ancient than any of the imaginary things blizzard has dug up from prior stories.

No one is suggesting you conduct yourself differently (other than you conducting yourself to not try to conduct other people AKA preaching). You posted a teardrop in a bucket. Some people come cry with you, some will exploit your situation, and in the grand scheme of things it's rather trivial... wouldn't you agree? Back to the bucket, once it's full someone else will pour it out. What is the point of gathering momentum for an objective that isn't going anywhere? You aren't going to get people to be naturally altruistic - ever.

And no, you don't try in the face of certain defeat. I know it's probably engraved in your mind from our society to be some sort of hero, but you're just running through a stream of ^-*! for a bunch of people who won't thank you anyway.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
>Then why bother posting here? Go play your casual game and leave us alone.

I feel most of us that post "complaints" about WoW do so because we see obvious flaws in the game and would like them changed for the better. Certainly a better forum than a generic fan site blog.

As for GW2 being "casual" ... you've played it even less than the people talking about having resource nodes stolen from them, because GW2 is orders of magnitude harder/ less casual than WoW. Just the mere fact you can die in GW2 would scare the average WoW player away. When's the last time you went below 40% health running around in WoW; or hell, even 80%??? Since Burning Crusade, when I'm out questing, I don't think I've ever had my health fall below 90%. There's no reward if there's no risk.

I'm not arguing "one over the other." I'm in the camp of "better choices give us better games." My only point is that WoW has SERIOUS design flaws that become more and more apparent every year and yet Blizzard does NOTHING about them. When I see other games that are progressing the genre and are more fun in general, it's only natural that I'd like to see those dynamics brought to WoW.
Edited by Brocknor on 10/30/2012 4:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight

Shoo, Brocknor.
Edited by Ênzo on 10/31/2012 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
This thread has seen the most life in Hellscream forums for a long time at least!

10/10
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
AND I SAY
HEYYYYAYYYEYYEEYEYYAYAHHAHAYYEAAEYAAYAYAYA
I SAY HEY WHATS GOING ON
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
The whole idea of people being decent to one another (and I'm not talking about "node stealing" or things in-game that are frustrating due to the mechanics of the game itself) started to erode heavily with the LFG feature and then was categorically demolished with the first iteration of LFR.
What changed?
In the past, if you treated everyone like they were inferior beings in your way, you made a name for yourself as a d-bag and, consequently, no one would invite you to storm dungeons or do group quests. You had to server transfer and hope your poor reputation would not follow.

Enter LFG and suddenly it doesn't matter how much of an !@# you are to people, you will never be sitting in SW shouting for a group again. Within LFG, you can then need just about anything you want, and, especially at the end of the run, who cares if you ninja the uber healer trinket as a DPS class with no healing spec whatsoever? That is 10g to a vendor to you and you simply drop group once it goes in your bag and you never see those people again in all likelihood. Once enough people had been shafted by others in this manner, LFG became somewhat of a contemptuous experience. Knowing full well that some yahoo was assuredly going to need roll gear that BiS piece you wanted, because he is greedy or doesn't understand his class created a very hostile environment.

LFR comes along, and seals the fate of decency en masse for good. The status quo was "if I can hit NEED, I do" no matter what. The growing hatred people display over those issues was marvelous.

It has carried over into the non-LFG realm and on to the servers themselves. Ask a question in trade? Someone either questions your sexual orientation or derides you for not knowing. The %*!!%#!* that everyone has suffered in the LFG system has pretty much turned people to a state of total distrust of anyone they don't know. I'm not saying I like it, but it is the way things are currently. People are guarded and rude offensively to avoid being "trolled" and because they assume everyone else is going to do the same. The experience is the same for everyone.

The only upside is that on occasion you will run into someone decent. I know. Imagine... It is a rare thing in these days of "DPS-pulling-bosses-Skull-dies last-MY DPS ME ME ME" world of bads that the game has become. But there are good people who still play who will ask the tank if he needs an item before blindly need rolling an off spec piece.

Blizz encourages it.

This is a beautiful and amazing Xpac. The only thing that makes it less than stellar is player interaction. There are those of us who will help and be civil in most instance, but then again, we are a declining minority.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Fun Fact: other than a select secret soceity of peoples of horde and alliance created by Gwyddon back in 2004-05, there has been little, if any congeniality towards one another.

I believe it all started with one dude who stole 100g from another guy in 2005, and it went downhill from there. People stole, recruited from each others guilds, Canadaa (spelling?) %@%'ed every other man on the server, Kinsawt had a bigger ego than donald trump and tried to muscle out everyone else from raiding. At one time, some hunter class leader was going around showing people his epic "bow" via MSN video chat.

Sure, I can go through and list every major laughable event from 2004 to now, but that would be meaningless. If you play WoW hellscream, new player or old, you have to accept that his server is a cross between Hogwarts, Mos Eisley, and the set of Glee and all the !@#$'s from Cassablanca summoning stoned in.

Face it, nearly all of us have acted like a crack adict at one time in our lives, and ever since Al Gore invented TCP IP and DNS, its been online past 1992

However, the only shining light in all of this has been Mercator. Sure, he'll kick your %^- but he'll log over and thank you for the points and give you tips and advise, or invite you onto TS to talk about the best places to order late night pizza from in SoCal.

So, thank you Mercator for showing all of us how a true gentleman behaves!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
Too long. Did not read.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]