Metamorphosis, fel flame, void ray... Err?

86 Undead Warlock
Well, I've returned to wow after a year and a half hiatus, and up until today I have really enjoyed it. I took my lvl 76 warlock to 85 using Demonology and I've honestly had quite a blast.

Before the major talent overhaul, I was a hybrid/destro, and I always found that spec fun, but the new destro was actually pretty terrible. INSANELY terrible for pve. The dmg output was low, the utility seemed weak, and I just had no fun with it. So for the first time I went demo.

I LOVE being able to tank. I've always enjoyed support, but being able to pop over to tank as a DPS class is just flat out fun! And what I loved even more was metamorphosis! Well, I say "loved" because at lvl 85 they Effed it up. I can't even enjoy it anymore really for pve.

You see, there's this spell called "Fel Flame" that generates 15 demonic fury every use, and it's instant cast, and since your metamorphosis phase uses like 15 demo fury every second, plus every spell uses a chunk of it, you can't really sustain the form very long unless you toss a few Fel Flames to put your Demo Fury back up a bit. It was a bit of a chore, but made PvE a BLAST!

Turns out, come lvl 85, Fel Flame becomes... Void Ray while in Meta form... I don't even really like the spell. It costs 40 demonic fury (which is a lot), and does a small amount of dmg, and takes the place of the only spell we had been given to sustain meta form. So now I'm pretty much stuck as a normal lock unless I kill about 3 or 4 mobs, then I can pop into meta form for a short time, but I'm shortly back to the slow grind of normal lockism.

Why can't I decide if I want Fel Flame over Void Ray? Seems kinda crappy. Is there another way to better sustain meta form? It's just honestly lost quite a bit of fun since I hit 85 and lost fel flame in meta form. I'm having a hard time staying interested in this game again.

Any suggestions? Comments? Am I doing something wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Demo isn't meant to stay in Demo form for long periods of time (unless you're running the DA glyph). You pop in for a couple hundred Fury just to keep yourself from capping, refresh Doom, and boost Corruption's duration up. You only really stay in Meta for extended periods during Dark Soul or at the very end of the fight.

On the note of Destro, it's particularly amazing for leveling, both due to it's burst and due to the interaction between Shadowburn and the glyph of Soul Consumption. Also, it's DPS is only really terrible if you're not using your Embers. Try pooling 4 Embers, popping Dark Soul, and dropping 4 Chaos Bolts in a row (each for 150-200k). It's pretty amazing. Destro is simming a bit behind for sustained DPS in raids, certainly, but in short fights, fights with adds, or AoE fights, Destro has a distinct advantage over Affliction.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warlock
I have yet to try any of these specs in a dungeon, but I can see what you're saying as far as the mechanic would work in a longer fight. I'm mainly talking about the quest grind. (I've still got 5 lvls left)

I'll give destro another shot now that it's been a few lvls since I last played it.

I understand that they clearly don't want you to be in Meta very long past lvl 85, but It's definitely lost a lot of luster having to stance dance now all the time. And Fel Flame with the meta form boost was a lot of fun. Especially with the mastery boost on. And the demonic leap from mob to mob was an awesome mechanic. The form just simply doesn't last long enough now in my opinion, and has become a chore to baby sit my demonic fury. I'm sure there's a better way to keep it up.

Affliction right now has no appeal to me at all for pve/questing. Once I hit 90 I might try it for pvp.

Thanks for the reply.
Reply Quote
I had way more fun with Demo in cata.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Void Ray, imo, is both graphically and mechanically boring. Removing Fel Flame from meta/da is just plain hateful, or so it feels. I really, really wish we still had to go to trainers to learn new spells because then I wouldn't have to learn this awful spell.

Fel flame in meta/da form provided flexibility and made the toolkit feel complete. Ramming an ugly, awkward, half-thought-out spell down our throats in place of fel flame is totally uncool given the fact that for a handful of levels we get to experience the awesomeness of meta/da fel flame.

This little, purple, wiggly beam looks limp. It's like we're shaking a skipping rope at our enemies. Also, Void Ray is too awkward to use. All in all, at this point in our warlocking careers we need something more menacing and fear invoking. The pinkish purple skipping rope of doom just ain't doing it.
Edited by Dertbag on 10/6/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Honestly, IMO, just bring back Shadowflame. Rename it whatever you want.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Graphically, void ray is ridiculous. Someone in the art department got lazy.

Dungeons? Tank pulls while you have nice fury from the last pull or two... HoG x2, Demon Leap into the pack, burning aura, void ray til you run out of fury, holy DPS!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/06/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Delious

Right?

You have to wonder what's going on when spells like arcane barrage and malefic grasp are in the same game as a spell like void ray.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
For a moment here I was thinking of SC2's void rays instead.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/06/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Irøh
For a moment here I was thinking of SC2's void rays instead.

/plays Huk's hallucinations against Idra
Idra rage quits
/trollface
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/06/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Baalsamael
Honestly, IMO, just bring back Shadowflame. Rename it whatever you want.

I miss shadowflame :(

And i have to half agree with you with the void ray thing, it's awkward to use, i'm never really sure when i'm supposed to be using it, it's boring and looks pathetic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It just feels like star wars.

Pew pew, lazar beam.
Reply Quote
86 Human Warlock
Try glyph of demon hunting. It gives you wings! It allows you to cast the metamorphasis only spells while not constantly draining your power. You can metapmorphasis for added DPS, but I find soloing it is awesome to stay in demon form.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Old news it seems, but same as Franz I was having a blast leveling my demo lock..tried both affliction and destruction nothing can compare..then BAM!! void ray came in...needless to say it's a poor designed spell graphics is terrible and as most say it's just awkward to use..

Blizzard needs to remove this spell...took the fun of demo lock for me now..
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
HC
Old news it seems, but same as Franz I was having a blast leveling my demo lock..tried both affliction and destruction nothing can compare..then BAM!! void ray came in...needless to say it's a poor designed spell graphics is terrible and as most say it's just awkward to use..

Blizzard needs to remove this spell...took the fun of demo lock for me now..

You literally just necro'd a 6 month old thread to !@#$% about a spell...I applaud you.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Dungeons? Tank pulls while you have nice fury from the last pull or two... HoG x2, Demon Leap into the pack, burning aura, void ray til you run out of fury, holy DPS!

THIS!

Ok, everything about this spell had to grow on me. I cannot get enough of it. From the wacky colors and graphical design, to the crazy amount of DPS it generates. I used to hate this spell - made fun of it - until that day! You never forget your first time. :P
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Fel Flame itself is pretty terrible. but Void Ray owns in AoE situations. Load everything up with Corruption and use Void Ray to keep them all up. Hand of Gul'dan when you have a spare second, of course, use Immolation Aura for some more damage, and when you run out of demonic fury, switch to Hellfire and watch your fury rocket back up.

I don't see the point of Fel Flame in Metamorphosis. Touch of Chaos fills the need of refreshing Corruption on a single target just fine and does a ton more damage.
Edited by Demonhat on 4/3/2013 1:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]