Serious Question

85 Worgen Mage
Football Fans Need Reply:

I don't know a whole lot of football fans outside of my state and was wondering what the general consensus on the Colts was. I'm a townie and all of my buddies are townies as well so I don't have a good indication of the general perception of the team.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
ehh

could be worse....could be the browns.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
we could, but watching the team they look a lot better than they should be considering they have 30 new players this season.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
This is like the very first thread I found on any wow fourm that relates to sports, so this is reply worthy.

Coming from a Ravens fan (GO RAVENS!) I gotta say I have a lot of respect for the Colts. They have a new QB, so it'll take a good year or so for Luck to become more familiar with some of the play calling and being pressured by a NFL defense.

If Luck is able to develop into the QB alot of people project him to be, then the Colts have a great future ahead of them, but as for now while people get used to the new system, new players, new coaches, and just a new professional atmostphere, there may be a bump or 2 in the road.

Chuck Pagano (the head coach) was the Ravens D coordinator the last few years in Baltimore, he'll be able to shape the Colts d into something fierce with time.

Just as I've said before, the present may get rough, but the future and outlook of the team look great (Wish I could say the same thing about my Cubbies though :( )
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Really? There has been a few sport threads on this server's forums alone.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Just came back to play after a 4 month break towards the end, KJ never had the sports talk (or any server's fourm for that matter)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
andrew luck has the football IQ that you look for in a franchise QB. he has a great throwing motion and is good at staying calm in the pocket, but he needs to throw less picks so he has some confidence IMO

he also doesnt have a lot of weapons. and the colts defense is definitely sub-par

its a rebuilding year. once luck can run chuck pagano's offense in his sleep, you guys can build defensively in the draft next year and hopefully get some more weapons through trades.

i see the colts having a winning season but not being very relevant in the playoffs.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Tbh I was surprise to see some intelligent replies, I've seen one sports related topic on these forums so my expectations were low.

andrew luck has the football IQ that you look for in a franchise QB. he has a great throwing motion and is good at staying calm in the pocket, but he needs to throw less picks so he has some confidence IMO

he also doesnt have a lot of weapons. and the colts defense is definitely sub-par

Agreed, but I would argue that his ints this season are a little misleading, two have been completely out of his control due to a horribly missed call and another after being jarred loose from the wr hands after taking a monster hit. But on the plus side he has some young receivers that look pretty damn good though.

The defense is pretty horrible again, so its going to be a season of some high highs and low lows.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
10/02/2012 01:10 AMPosted by Emalf
You had your near decade run of the AFC south. The texans will be running things for the next 3+ years, depending on the development of Luck and Locker. Forget Gabbert.

Agreed, but I decree the Colts will have their day again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The Colts have suffered with the same ailment my team suffers from for a long time . . . no defense! That whole "bend don't break" mentality when it comes to defense just doesn't get the job done in the grand scheme of things.

When you have a nuclear powered offense, you will win games, and the Colts have had that in the past. But the old saying "offense wins games, defense wins championships" couldn't be proven better than by watching the Colts a few years back when Manning was clicking and the offense was firing on all cylinders. The defense couldn't stop anybody with equally powered offenses, and the Colts usually were eliminated from the playoffs because of it.

While these high scoring games can be fun to watch to see who will win shoot outs. I'm more defense minded. A game that ends 2 - 0 is more fun to watch than one that adds up to 80 points or more for me.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Pagano was brought in to change the defensive mentality. It used to be so frustrating watching teams dink it down the field and score easy points, its nice to see a real defense coming together. For 3 entire seasons with Caldwell there wasn't a single blitz called, its refreshing to see some actual aggression out there from the defense.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well I wish you the best in your team's defense building. My Saints defense is as horrible as ever. A lot of people thought we had a great defense in 09-10 due to us going to the superbowl, unfortunately, it wasn't a great defense, it was a matter of complete and utter luck most of the time that the defense got turnovers. That interception in the superbowl of Manning was from watching game film and knowing his tendencies, but other than that, our defense got mighty lucky against papa Manning's son.

We have some guy named Steve Spanuolo that is supposed to bring some respect back to the defense but honestly, I'm not holding out much hope that this is going to happen any time soon.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
10/03/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Ðarkknight
That interception in the superbowl of Manning was from watching game film and knowing his tendencies, but other than that, our defense got mighty lucky against papa Manning's son.

This killed me. There were many bar fights that night with the Bears fans rubbing it in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I can imagine. Being the son of Archie, one of our most beloved gridiron heroes, it wasn't exactly easy as a Saint's fan to enjoy the win because it was a Manning after all. Somebody had posted one of those commercial like scenarios somewhere that went something to the effect....

As a boy, Peyton grew up watching his father struggle with the Saints, and dreamed each night of throwing the winning touchdown in a superbowl in the future. On February 7th, 2010, that dream turned into a nightmare.

Of course it was longer, but you understand what it was trying to convey. Most people look down on Archie, but most people never got to watch the man play, nor do they fully understand that he was indeed a man without a team.
Reply Quote
I'm trying really hard not to form any opinions because I really want to like Luck but I have been trying hard not to judge him in his rookie year with a not great team. They need work but they're not playing as bad as I thought they would before the season started.

I'm a Bills fan though so my opinion on any football discussion might as well be null and void.
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 08:46 AMPosted by Ðarkknight
While these high scoring games can be fun to watch to see who will win shoot outs. I'm more defense minded. A game that ends 2 - 0 is more fun to watch than one that adds up to 80 points or more for me.

Having been at the Bills/Browns 3-6 game a few years ago I can say they're not always fun. That wasn't really a defensive battle so much as a who has a worse offense battle though.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Never saw Archie play but I feel ya. TBH we didn't have a whole lot of talent while Peyton was here. Our "Pro Bowlers" he played with are now out of the league or trying to make a team somewhere (or in the case of Dwight Freeney struggling to keep his starting spot), it really goes to show how great of a player he actually was.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]