Spirit gear should not be roll-able by DPS

90 Worgen Druid
Spirit gear is incredibly important early in an expansion when mana cannot be an after-thought. It's rare enough for this spirit healer gear to drop, but to have it repeatedly rolled on, and won by caster DPS it's just disheartening. I'm of the school of thought that healers shouldn't roll on +hit gear, and casters shouldn't roll on +spirit gear. I feel this needs to be reinforced somehow in game.
Reply Quote
Try doing brewfest were every pure dps goes OMG INT TRINKET and rolls on the healer trinket >_>
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I did
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
No. Spirit is very important to Balance Druids, Shadow Priests and Elemental Shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/30/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Elethia
No. Spirit is very important to Balance Druids, Shadow Priests and Elemental Shaman.

That's one thing. Worrying that Price of Progress is finally going to drop and the mage might take it is a bit different.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/30/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Elethia

Spirit gear is important because it provides... wait for it... hit. Guess what else provides hit?.. HIT!. There's no reason caster DPS needs to be rolling on what was originally intended to be healer gear because blizz made the mistake of allowing them to convert spirit to hit for heals that feel like having an off DPS spec but are too lazy to farm gear for it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk

Spirit gear is important because it provides... wait for it... hit. Guess what else provides hit?.. HIT!. There's no reason caster DPS needs to be rolling on what was originally intended to be healer gear because blizz made the mistake of allowing them to convert spirit to hit for heals that feel like having an off DPS spec but are too lazy to farm gear for it.

I'm pretty sure caster Leather and caster Mail never have Hit on them anymore (or at least rarely do).
Edited by Emerin on 9/30/2012 10:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/30/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Kildarre

For leather/mail pieces, there is no hit gear. And you can't get by with just rings and necklaces, I'm afraid.

For cloth, rolling against mages and warlocks on hit gear presents the same problem as rolling against healing priests on spirit gear. We really get it from both sides. The mages and warlocks really have a more compelling argument, though: there is actually less hit cloth than Spirit cloth,and more classes competing for it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm 50/50. I understand, hybrid types needs hit, yes it is important, blah blah blah...especially for shadowmages - I mean, shadowpriests. They get stuck between in a rock and a hard place because mages and locks don't want them rolling on 'their' gear because they can get spirit, and holies and discs think the same only it's the other way around.

So I'm OK with shadowpriests going for spirit cloth. CLOTH. I'm OK with sharing.

Druids and shamans never have to share spirit pieces with other classes so there really is no competition there. They can share the spirit leather/mail. They don't get to !@#$% about armor competition >:(

However, I'm not too OK with rings/necks/trinkets. Especially trinkets. I will seethe with silent fury if I see a DPS take a spirit trinket away from a healer. Because usually that's the first piece to be replaced the moment the DPS gets a 'real' trinket or the moment they get hit cap on their armor. While a healer will probably be using that spirit-heavy trinket for quite a while. So a DPS rolling on a spirit trinket just screams 'SHINY LOOT /^-*!@' to me.
Edited by Zamboozle on 10/1/2012 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/01/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Zamboozle
Druids and shamans never have to share spirit pieces with other classes so there really is no competition there. They can share the spirit leather/mail. They don't get to !@#$% about armor competition >:(

Mistweaver monks say "Hi"!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Right, that new class that shows up as bright electric green on grid. Druids then -_- That's still....2. Compared to clothies' 3. And it still doesn't help sham's case.
Edited by Zamboozle on 10/1/2012 11:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh, for sure. Every time a DPS rolls on a healing trinket, God kills a puppy.

It's usually the mages and locks doing that, though. Hybrids know healing gear when we see it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I usually run with my guild so I don't have to worry about that.

Maybe I'm lucky.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/01/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Zamboozle
However, I'm not too OK with rings/necks/trinkets. Especially trinkets. I will seethe with silent fury if I see a DPS take a spirit trinket away from a healer. Because usually that's the first piece to be replaced the moment the DPS gets a 'real' trinket or the moment they get hit cap on their armor. While a healer will probably be using that spirit-heavy trinket for quite a while. So a DPS rolling on a spirit trinket just screams 'SHINY LOOT /^-*!@' to me.

I will still disagree with you on rings and neck. Trinkets I can understand mainly because dps typically want just straight int on there trinkets and shouldn't be needing the hit/spirit on the trinket.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/01/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Taluun

I will still disagree with you on rings and neck. Trinkets I can understand mainly because dps typically want just straight int on there trinkets and shouldn't be needing the hit/spirit on the trinket.

There are seperate Hit and Spirit rings/necks, so there really is ~Zero~ justification for a hybrid DPS to roll on them for DPS.
Reply Quote
If there was zero justification, blizzard would remove the spirit->hit talents.

Its *just* heroic grindable gear, its not the end of the world folks, if you want to have loot rules and courtesy, run with a guild run. The anonymity of LFD makes it easy to be a douche to your groupmates.

For armor, i'm 100% ok with dps rolling on spirit, I'll wager some of the BiS DPS pieces of armor for spriest/boomkin/ele shaman have spirit on them this tier, but dps rolling on a spirit trinket isn't ok outside of a guild run where it was discussed before etc. Necks, rings, backs, i'm also a bit on the fence about, but not much can be done about it in LFD.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
10/01/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Bherwolfe
There are seperate Hit and Spirit rings/necks, so there really is ~Zero~ justification for a hybrid DPS to roll on them for DPS.

I'm sure pure DPS would argue the exact opposite.

And, of course, both sides would be wrong. Spirit to hit conversion is justification enough, and hit is hit regardless of how it happens.
Edited by Elethia on 10/1/2012 5:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/01/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Elethia

I'm sure pure DPS would argue the exact opposite.

And, of course, both sides would be wrong. Spirit to hit conversion is justification enough, and hit is hit regardless of how it happens.

True, hence why the loot system needs to have a priority system tied to it:
Spirit Ring drops; R druid rolls need, Spriest rolls need, Prot pally rolls need for off spec;
System applies the priority to the druid, then the priest, finally the paladin.

This system can/will check if the person already has the item, and will funnel gear to those specs that need it the most over the others.

This is already present in a premade group, where loot rules are understood, but there is no reason it cannot be made for randoms as well.

The bottom line still stands though: if someone in a Role that the stat is Specific towards needs the item, they get the item before someone else who is of a different role for the stat and gets secondary/no benefit from the stat.
Reply Quote
not sure it is fair to give a rdruid priority over a spriest in that situation due to the fact that blizzard designed them to use spirit as hit, the offspec i can see a bit of the argument, but that goes against blizzards stated intent of heroics being where you gear your offspec up by running your mainspec, so you can take your offspec into LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It is sill a prolific place where people gear this Main spec and Alt's main specs; hence if someone's main spec needs a stat designed to Function with it, then they should get priority.

Now this is only about Rings and Necklaces, of which there Are hit caster pieces for Mages and Warlocks, hence when a Spriest rolls against a R druid on a Ring/Neck with spirit on it, the Druid gets priority.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]