Spirit gear should not be roll-able by DPS

100 Night Elf Priest
Personally I've always believed that a healer should ger priority over anyone else if a piece has Spirit and a non-healer should get priority over something with Hit. Yes, Spirit = Hit to some, but it doesn't go the other way. I cannot convert Hit to Spirit (no, reforging isn't the same thing.)

However, I don't see the current loot distribution changing for 5 mans in the near future unless they implament the LFR loot distribution into LFD.

In the meantime, just try and be polite to each other and ask before needing something that might seem off spec.

Can't we all just get along?! :P
Edited by Lunanox on 10/2/2012 8:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've been on both sides of this. My main was a boomkin from early BC until the end of Cata and I've swapped to my resto/ele shammy for MoP. IMO dps and healers have equal priority for any item with spirit in their armor class and for necks, rings, and capes. It gets iffy when it comes to trinkets, if ANY item has a spirit proc NO dps should be rolling on it, trinkets with a large amount of +spirit really aren't ideal for a dps so they shouldn't be rolling on those either.

I strongly agree that good dps in heroics is important. My gear is still pretty low level right now but the only times I've really had mana issues healing heroics have been in groups with crappy dps and the fight just drags on forever.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
I don't care about shadow priest rolling against me, they are a hybrid, and that's how the class works. I've lost spirit gear now 3 times to mages. It's getting seriously annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Just lost the Shoulders from Xin at Mogu' Shan Palace to a Mage. I'm depressed.
Reply Quote
I'm guessing blizzard's response would be "well they could reforge some of the spirit to hit"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/03/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Kodiakarrest
I'm guessing blizzard's response would be "well they could reforge some of the spirit to hit"

That's a pretty crappy response, 60% of the Spirit would still be on the item doing absolutely nothing.

I don't care if a Boomkin/SPriest/Ele wins my Spirit gear, I'm tired of the mouthbreathing Warlocks and Mages thinking they're entitled to Spirit pieces just because they can roll on it.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Quess, as a simple question, the dagger that drops from Yor'sahj. It has spirit on it. Do you think a mage should be allowed to roll on that?

Keep in mind, barring the legendary, that the dagger is the 3rd bis IIRC for mages and presumably for healers. So it has equal weighting in terms of what they are capable of getting.

Edit: I understand that we are not talking about BiS or raids or whatever, but the statement still stands when people complain about mages and locks using spirit gear, even when comparitevly it could be just as useful.
Edited by Hiroran on 10/3/2012 8:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Quess, as a simple question, the dagger that drops from Yor'sahj. It has spirit on it. Do you think a mage should be allowed to roll on that?

Keep in mind, barring the legendary, that the dagger is the 3rd bis IIRC for mages and presumably for healers. So it has equal weighting in terms of what they are capable of getting.

I would usually give upgrades to a DPS over a Healer 99% of the time, but I don't think I would ever give a Mage a spirit weapon over a Healer if their item levels were identical. The Mage will replace it with something more suitable eventually, whereas the Healer can use it and go without an upgrade for longer. As long as a Non-Spirit option exists for Mages/Locks, I would never give them Spirit gear over a Healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Shadow priests can benefit from spirit.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
10/03/2012 09:44 AMPosted by Qùess
I would usually give upgrades to a DPS over a Healer 99% of the time, but I don't think I would ever give a Mage a spirit weapon over a Healer if their item levels were identical. The Mage will replace it with something more suitable eventually, whereas the Healer can use it and go without an upgrade for longer.

In this case this is actually false though in this scenario. For mages the BiS went

Lightning rod>Rathrak+molten scream>Yor'sahj dagger

For most healers,

Morchok mace >/= Madness mace > Yor'sahj dagger.

If anything the the healer would have an easier time replacing it since morchok was easier than any other boss in there.

If its a good item for a class, its a good item, whether or not every stat is ideal. Another example from DS was if a mage didn't do HM baleroc or get lucky with the trash offhand then HM ultraxion offhand was far better than anything else they could get, and that also had spirit on it.

In dungeons cases, yes mages/warlocks, shouldn't be needing on spirit gear but as a general rule, don't count them out of the running.
Reply Quote
At this point in time this argument only applies to dungeons, since LFR loot works differently, and if you do a regular raid without knowing the loot rules up front (which includes can non-spirit users roll on spirit for MS), well... that's your bad.

In raids I run, i'll let mages/warlocks roll OS on a spirit piece, useless stat is useless.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I've changed my mind after losing the only cloth Spirit helm in heroics to a warlock.

Yep, a warlock.

I've been farming the helm for a week, desperately need it, but the Warlock felt he had a bigger right to it.

Spirit gear should not be needable by DPS.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I think whats worst is when you lose healer trinkets/necks to hybrid dps classes like a ret pally or feral druid. Its happen to me 3 times already and sucks big time. I don't get the point of waiting the que for 30 mins as a dps to take healer items when you can que in 5 mins as a healer. There dps is always really bad in these dungeons too below the tank >.<
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
My problem is with the darned druid who queued as a cat dps, rolled on a spirit cloak, won it, said "for OS" and dropped group. Would've been a huge upgrade for me, the healer and only person in the group using spirit as queued.

You want your offspec gear? Queue for that spec. That's something I'd love to see Blizz implement, and might get more healers in LFG queues too.
Reply Quote
Blizzard has stated several times when the LFR loot system debates came up on the beta forum that heroics are for gearing your offspec while running as your mainspec, and LFR is for gearing your offspec while running as your offspec.

That being said. I don't think warlocks and mages should be allowed to roll need on items with spirit in LFD.
Reply Quote
9 Night Elf Priest
I like the part where a spirit mace finally dropped and the paladin tank won it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Spirit gear should be needable by Healing specs, Shadow Priests, Balance Druids, and Elemental Shaman. It should not be needable by Warlocks and mages, though. This is something that I hope gets fixed.

Arguing that healers need spirit more is incredibly selfish. If I run as Elemental, I should not have to take the backseat to healers for perfectly viable upgrades. Keep in mind that leather/mail caster gear no longer has hit on it; it has all been converted to spirit. So from your point of view, if I run Elemental and there's an Rshaman present, I should not be able to roll on - any - mail drops, unless he doesn't need it?

This opinion is amazingly self-centered.

The only condition where a hybrid DPS should not roll on spirit gear is if it has a healing affect associated with it, as trinkets frequently do.

A previous poster has been using a very valid comparison: Frequently, pure DPS casters complain that hybrids should not roll on +hit gear because they have so much spirit to choose from. The issue here is that nobody wants to have competition for loot.

I get it. We all want to get geared up. But when you start thinking that every potential upgrade is *your* loot, there is a problem.

And I'm a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/04/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Whithort
I like the part where a spirit mace finally dropped and the paladin tank won it.

It just means that my guild group is now auto-kicking any cloth DPS that we get, on the off chance that we actually queue for a dungeon without a full guild group.

Otherwise, I am refusing to run randoms unless it's a full guild group. So, all this has done is removed another healer from the healer pool, and basically made us kick anyone who might roll need on the items.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, I am a-okay sharing loots with shadow, boomies, elemental shaman...shamen...shami?

But somethings to me, have "HEALER GEAR" written on them in neon letters.

Spirit proc and healing proc trinkets are one of those things.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Have to disagree for the most part. Spirt is important for a lot of the healing classes, and critical for the non cloth wearing ones.

Only exception would be items like Cloak of Many Flasks and Spirit of the Suns and Vial of Ichorous blood, things that have secondary effects that can't realistically benefit a DPS at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]