Macbook Pro 2012 - Abysmal Performance 10.8

90 Night Elf Druid
I can provide extra information.

Problem:
There is a serious performance hinderance in WoW on the MacBook Pro mid 2012 release and Mountain Lion and I wanted it to bring it to your attention. As it is probably software and hardware based, let it be known that this is a non-retina MacBook Pro, but it does in fact have a dedicated GPU.

System:
Core i7 (Ivy) @ 2.3GHz Turbo 3.2 GHz (IIRC)
4GB DDR3 1333 MHz
Geforce GT 650M

Reproduction:
I first want to state the performance issue was non-existant on Lion. Performance on High settings was very acceptable of about 50~70 fps conservatively. Basically the laptop is 2 days old, with one day being on regular Lion, and day two being on Mountain Lion. Post ML install, the performance is close to 67% of what it was prior to OS installation. I struggle to stay above 25fps at the exact same settings.

Note: Original gameplay was in clamshell @ 1920x1080 resolution for both OS versions. There is no AA enabled, and settings with the exception of AF were the streamlined "High" category.

Things Tried:
I have already verified file permissions, re-installed World of Warcraft by downloader (fresh install of OSX and WoW), I have reset SMC, and I have reset PRAM/NVRAM, just to try and flesh this out.

Frame of Reference:
I am sitting right next to iMac 2011 (roommate) basically a 2.4GHz SandyBridge with a 6770M Radeon, settings on High, roughly 45~55 FPS. My current settings after also using identical with x16AF, is about 25~35 FPS. All benchmarks of the GT 650M do show significant gains over the 6770M. Hence the reason for purchase.

Variables Eliminated:
Monitoring temperature with atMonitor shows that neither the CPU nor GPU hit above 70c. This is terrible for me to see, but within the operating parameters of an Ivy Bridge and a Kepler104 based GPU. There is also a fan cooler under the laptop. I have switched from external monitor to internal lcd, with absolutely no change in performance including the fact that the resolution is 1440x900 instead of 1920x1080. Thats quite a significant reduction in megapixels throughput.

Temporary Solution:
Reduced graphical quality to Low/Good, and despite this, it is still very susceptible to spiking. But overall playable in the realm of 35~45 FPS.
Reply Quote
98 Goblin Warlock
I feel your pain here. My macbook isn't much older than yours. I'm having same performance issues on ...

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
I respectfully need to add to this thread as I have experienced the pain, pursued proper troubleshooting efforts with some success and now tonight log in to find my frame rate at 5~10 FPS.

My profile: Mid 2012 RMBP, 2.7 GHz i7 - 16 GB Memory - nVidia GT 650M - OS X 10.8.2, Game Played at Native Resolution.

I have reset SMC and read all of: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6606352142

Last night all was acceptable at about 35-40 FPS (I might add that 35-40 FPS on this HW Spec is silly), but now after coming home from work first logging in and then after disaster rebooting experience unacceptable 5-10 FPS.

Hoping for a bit more help/clarity on this subject from our ever so kind Blue Mac ops.. :D

Most Respectfully,

Kernelpanic
Edited by Kernelpanic on 10/1/2012 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I respectfully need to add to this thread as I have experienced the pain, pursued proper troubleshooting efforts with some success and now tonight log in to find my frame rate at 5~10 FPS.

My profile: Mid 2012 RMBP, 2.7 GHz i7 - 16 GB Memory - nVidia GT 650M - OS X 10.8.2, Game Played at Native Resolution.

I have reset SMC and read all of: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6606352142

Last night all was acceptable at about 35-40 FPS (I might add that 35-40 FPS on this HW Spec is silly), but now after coming home from work first logging in and then after disaster rebooting experience unacceptable 5-10 FPS.

Hoping for a bit more help/clarity on this subject from our ever so kind Blue Mac ops.. :D

Most Respectfully,

Kernelpanic

I am confident this will get sorted, I am not upset, but I would like it checked out. I doubt they would know about it unless we bring it to them.

In your particular case, I don't think your video card is suited to gaming at Native Resolution. I game on my desktop with a 2560x1600 Resolution with 2x Radeon HD 7970s with 3GB of VRAM and monitoring my VRAM usage at that resolution really does push about 900~1000 MB with Ultra settings before I add anti-aliasing. I know that the DX11 effects, shadows, and lighting take up quite a bit of VRAM so I know its not a direct translation to what OSX may need.

As far as gaming goes in general, I don't believe a meager GT 650M GPU with only 1GB of VRAM in your case is up to the task of pushing out respectable frame rates at the 2880x1800 res. How it was doing it in the past, I am not sure, but if you were to ask me what frame rate might you get now, the 10~15 fps seems actually realistic with Good/High settings. Even that being said you are at 5~10 FPS so about 50~66% of what I would expect you to be at, and I sit about 60~66% of where I was before the patch.

I believe its more related to the recent Mac Update then WoW update. I stipulate that 5.0.5 patch was working fine on Lion (I am still 99% sure) and its either the EFI 2.9 Update or Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2, or both.

I am back on my PC for now so I can wait on this issue, but I am seeing threads all over here and other forums mentioning a tank in performance.

I also have been watching my Activity Monitor and kernel_task is a beast and sucking large portions of RAM 700+MB even after a fresh boot. Just watching Safari, iTunes, and WoW running, I was at 50MB of RAM free with Page In's 3GB+ and Page Out's approaching 1GB ~ 5Kb/s. It appears Mountain Lion is abhorrent with memory management.

I will be reformatting with a clean Mountain Lion and the 10.8.2 Combo Update from Apple. I am also leaving room for a Windows 7 installation in which that I will see if the culprit is Mountain Lion, Mountain Lion's Kernel, OSX Geforce Driver, or just inefficient use of the system.

Future upgrades for this Macbook will be 4GB to 16GB of RAM and a SSD drive, probably a Vertex 3 MAX IOPS edition from my Desktop. I think this is disgustingly overkill for a Macbook but it appears the users with SSDs and 8GB or more of memory are not noticing the same performance reductions. Pointing to inefficient OSX coding. We will see if Windows 7 x64 gives back the performance.

If it does, I will be going all the way back to Snow Leopard, hopefully, with a transplant of kext/drivers to retain USB3, Thunderbolt, and Geforce functionality.

I will report back each step of the way letting anybody know what works and doesn't work. Probably be back with OSX fresh Mountain Lion with 10.8.2 Combo update, to see how that goes.
Edited by Höneybadger on 10/2/2012 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]