Desperate prayer vs angelic bulwark for pvp q

66 Night Elf Druid
What do most ppl use for pvp (arena/BG)? I like the shortened cd for AB and that it pops automatically but idk how it works with our normal shield already up and also with DP we can prevent even getting our health that low by popping it when wet around 50%... what is recommended/more commonly used? ty - also plz share experiences in pvp with both and how it helped or failed!
Reply Quote
After doing the math when the talents came out (I can't remember the math I actually did) desp prayer came out to be more effective mainly because I can use it more often.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Both are terrible as they are, Spectral Guise is literally the only talent you want on that tier as far as PvP is concerned as it offers the greatest utility and is somewhat harder to counter (you can dispel bulwark and simply DPS through 30% HP with relative ease).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Desperate prayer is better - Anurakis, although in general I toow ill be running spectral guise, there are a lot of situations where it would be more or less useless and desperate prayer would be game changing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/01/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Cybele
Desperate prayer is better - Anurakis, although in general I toow ill be running spectral guise, there are a lot of situations where it would be more or less useless and desperate prayer would be game changing.

Well the fact that you can Spectral Guise in a Deep Freeze or other stun effect makes it phenomenally useful, the offensive potential of SG is yet to be unlocked as well although as my mate put it people will see the Priest disappear and know what is coming next. I might actually take Desperate Prayer against double melee teams where I've no chance of escape (I would never take Bulwark however) but that remains to be seen if my mate will do 3's on his enhance. Or else I'll just quit this game and ^-*! off for good.

****ARN, I CALL YOU BY NAME
Edited by Anurakis on 10/1/2012 11:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
angelic bulwark scales with stamina so by the time you get full malevolent or higher it will be far better than desperate prayer large margin. spectral guise works well against mages but will not save you from melee cleaves. 75% of the time spectral guise is useless and 100% awful against wars dk or hunters who's pet can smell through it.

you're better off choosing the other two to give yourself an 2nd chance of living imo.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm pretty sure Angelic Bulwark is dispellable/spellstealable so it's pretty much terrible.

e: Actually wowhead says it's in the physical school so now I'm not sure.

I'd still rather take Spectral Guise.
Edited by Restorata on 11/18/2012 2:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
spectral guise
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm pretty sure Angelic Bulwark is dispellable/spellstealable so it's pretty much terrible.

e: Actually wowhead says it's in the physical school so now I'm not sure.

I'd still rather take Spectral Guise.

I have dispelled it before and seen a mage even steal it.

Desperate prayer is a better choice if you have to pick between those 2.

Guise is better then both just the ability to get out of a deep freeze makes it worth it. If 5 people are beating your head in or you have dots/pets on you then yea it will fail. Guise is kinda like the old version of vanish rogues had but on a 30 second cooldown.
Edited by Shadowpowerz on 11/19/2012 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Spectral guise is awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Spectral guise has potential to prevent >30% of your health in damage every time you hit the button, not to mention you can precast it to drop greater heals on your friends.

tl;dr. When you're ready to take the training wheels off, use spectral guise.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
desperate prayer is only good for void shift +healthstone heals but often times it fail under hard focus because if u have classes who can reduce healing % (war rogue hunter dk) it does !@#$ty heals and often time stun lock you out from even clicking it but does good amount with no debuffs and CC. <<<< cons for desperate prayer

desperate prayer is 99% very good for holy priest when used with guardian spirit and void shift healthstone. stun lock focus makes it awful (priest gets trained 1st always)

Angelick bulwark scales with stamina so full malev you are getting a 100k+ absorb self activated and will always proc when needed. Can be dispelled yes but still useful under different circumstances

spectral guise is weak after the patch so anyone who can make good use of this one i give you props. Everything melee or class with pets makes this talent awful and useless. Dots will buy you 1-2 secs but thats it so this is my last pick as a healer. Good for sneak attack fears and early detection avoidance of enemy force.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I think you can dispel angelic bulwark. I like desperate prayer for after shifting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Spectral guise has potential to prevent >30% of your health in damage every time you hit the button, not to mention you can precast it to drop greater heals on your friends.

tl;dr. When you're ready to take the training wheels off, use spectral guise.

This exactly. I use spectral guise to basically get the dps off my nuts. It requires you to use it before you get too low (thus requiring a higher skill cap) but can keep you from dying and mitigate substantially more damage.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I don't use DP or SG.

I used to have SG but it more and more became noticeable that it didn't work as there was no delay in through off a focus fire. When I was disc, I spec'd DP.

As a PvP SP, I prefer AB because it is a no-brain proc that occurs automatically.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I've been playing with Desperate Prayer in 3's recently. While it has saved my butt a few times, I do not find it to be a key factor in my survivability.

While I don't think Spectral Guise will contribute greatly to my survivability any more than Desperate Prayer, I do appreciate what it does for me offensively - namely it allows me to setup swaps with greater ease and also lets me generate orbs when I'm getting trained into the ground.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Out of all 3 I choose Desperate Prayer, ab... never why shield when low someone will have to waste mana on you and heal you back up anyway, plus when more dps notice you are low they will switch over to you. I like DP for void shift brings your target to full (you are full they are low example) then boom you are at 55% not bad. When you are facing good teams everyone is having constant dots so SG just kind of loses its appeal to me. That being said i'm not 2200 so i'm no expert but so far DP hasn't failed me yet I just find it all around useful.

Healer locked out = DP time
Void shift on a low target = DP time
1v1 both of you are in red zone = DP time
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Prob w DP is silences/stuns/necrotic strikes (ull see a ton of UH dks in 5.2). Warrior can still get on u w/spectral. Id rather fade, drop a psyfiend & sheild/Pom myself w/ ag shield. If u shift bulwark can proc faster than u dp, then fade & disperse away.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Since priest gives out stam for buffs and it scales with AB (my favorite of the 3) and it is noted that stamina increase the absorbtion buffs i have tried something new. i went and meta gem changed my intel or spirit gem to the one with stun reduction and stamina called "powerful" and i also turned my vivd gems in blues to ones called steady to up my stamina and since i am an enchanter and tailorer i have switched from intel enchant rings to stamina and it has been working great for me in pvp.

Might wanna consider trying this people. the meta intel and ring enchant intel only drops me by 400ish spell power which is no biggie because insignia procs spell power, jade spirit procs intellect and lightweave procs intellect so losing 400 in spell power is very minor issue imo.

with the stam increase i went from 388k - 406k with malev not fully upgraded yet.

As a priest healer you do not need pvp power at all and should be last on your list.

many different ways to gem your toon and yes intelect increse crit chance but from my changes i see no big differences , my spells crit fine and survival has sky rocketed.

Angelic bulwark is a must for pvp disc . alot of times in rbg u can't even click desperate prayer and you have other healers healing u after a void shift or u can call it out. I do like desperate prayer too tho but i stay with AB more.

Oh and listen to horde players they know more about pvp. with alliance having the 5% boost in pvp power and the majority as human but yet they still can't carry the world pvp title.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]