Let's talk about raid gemming.

90 Pandaren Rogue
Hey there. I was doing some math and used EP values based off of Shadowcraft to come up with the best gemming for pre-raid geared Rogues. I use the EP (equivalence points) system to decide which strategy is best. This is for COMBAT. Here are the current EP values for the stats we get from gems:

Agility: 2.77
Yellow Hit Rating: 2.4953
Expertise Rating: 2.3198
Haste Rating: 1.6345
Mastery Rating: 1.1867
Crit Rating: 1.0759
White Hit Rating: 0.9348

With that math 2 Haste is greater than one Agility by 0.499 EP. So, I did three different gemming strategies based off of having five slots. Here they are.

Gem EP values:

Agility based optimization (plus one haste required for gem slot optimization to acquire the socket bonus)

5 +160 Agility/1 80 Agility 160 Haste: 2269.12 EP

Haste based optimization (+80 Agility +160 Haste) (If you are not a Blacksmith and/or do not have an excessive amount of yellow sockets this will be the best.)

All +80 Agility + 160 Haste: 2898.12 EP

Haste+ based optimization using +320 haste in optimal slots with +160 Agility in red slots

3 +160 Agility/3 +360 Haste: 2964.1 EP

Haste++ based optimization (Best gemming for pre-raid Rogues patch 5.0.4):

4 +360 Haste gems/2 +80 Agility +160 Haste = 3319.92 EP

The last option is the best choice if you are a blacksmith which provides two sockets that will fit any gem, or if you have an excessive amount of yellow sockets.

The Haste++ Based optimization is the best gemming method by 335.92 EP.

I'm going to update this soon with other methods of gemming, this isn't set in stone yet, just a foundation. There are a few things I didn't add in and I'm going to do so when I finalize my math.

I'm going to update this soon with other methods of gemming, this isn't set in stone yet, just a foundation. There are a few things I didn't add in and I'm going to do so when I finalize my math.
Edited by Simplify on 10/1/2012 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
No contributions?
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
10/01/2012 07:18 PMPosted by Simplify
No contributions?

Just curious, but what kind of contributions are you looking for?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Everyone's been gemming primary stats for 5 years. I'm with you though!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]