The New Warchief

90 Troll Hunter
I know alot of Alliance players have some fantasy that the ruler of Orgrimmar will be some human who makes sure the 'demon lusting orcs' are kept in check. I'm pretty sure thats not happening, and the orcs will decide their own faction leader. From what I can see, though there are others, the following three are the best possible options.

Thrall could return, Garrosh was only supposed to be Warchief while Thrall took care of Deathwing. With the Cataclysm over, Thrall is free to put back on Doomhammer's armor, and march right in. Some might say that he was an ineffetive ruler, but the fact is, he kept the peace fairly well with a few exceptions (the various battlegrounds), was the founder of the peaceful side of the Horde. He is a unifying figure among the Horde, and someone the Alliance is at least familiar with.

Nazgrim could also take Garrosh's place. He's probably the highest ranking orc in the Horde regular military. He is a bit fiesty though for the Alliance's liking. He's also a fresh face in many people's minds, which would make him a likely pick. He seems to be one of the younger generation of Horde leaders, Garrosh's generation. He is a strong leader as a general, and would keep the Horde fiercely independant.

Saurfang could also be warchief, he's the overlord of the Kor'kron elite, which is a pretty significant position. He's a warrior, but knows how to deal diplomatically with the Alliance; he lead the Might of Kalimdor against the Qiraji, which was a combination of his Kor'kron and thier Alliance equivalent, the Seventh Legion. This combination was seen again at the Wrathgate, it can be safelly said that though his son was posted there, he was in command of the situation. Saurfang is someone the Alliance knows, and respects to a point. He's a hero of Silithus and Northrend, and would be a leader good for both the Horde and for the Alliance in making sure the Horde's in check. But he's old.

So, though it might be others, who do you think it'll be? Thrall's return? Garrosh's right hand man? Or the hardened veteran?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I think it should be not an Orc.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Paladin
Saurfang
Nuff said
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/01/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
I think it should be not an Orc.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I may be interested in the idea circulating around here about decentralizing power in the horde. If that were the case, the warchief of the orcs should probably be an orc.

as to who specifically, you've mentioned the apparent choices. I suppose its possible Nazgrim could continue to climb the ladder until warchief but he's yet to really take issue with Garrosh
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
All hail Vol'jin! Though I'm sure it won't come to pass . . .
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Orcs can't be trusted to run the Horde anymore. It should be another race with a council set in place like the Klaxxi to keep the Warchief's power in check.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/01/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Mordstreich
Orcs can't be trusted to run the Horde anymore. It should be another race with a council set in place like the Klaxxi to keep the Warchief's power in check.

The position of Warchief should be outlawed (only to be later reinstated at some point in the future when it's most needed) and the suggested council should remain.

But that leaves the question who should be on this council. Faction leaders? Representatives from each race? Military officials? Warlocks?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
The Warchief, as a rule, is supposed to be an orc. And if not an orc, than at least a darkspear or a tauren, meaning Baine or Vol'jin. Regardless of the warchief, there has to be an Orc leader, a Warchief of the orcs. Even if he isn't the warchief of the Horde overall, the orcs still need a leader, and that title is called a warchief.

And remember, the Alliance isn't conquering the Horde here. The Horde is besieging Orgrimmar too, it's just Garrosh we're worried about.
Edited by Naijin on 10/1/2012 6:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Objectively I think Baine or Vol'jin are the best two candidates.

All the Orcish candidates have problems that would be difficult to resolve in the timeframe we are dealing with.

- Thrall was the one who appointed Garrosh in the first place. A penance has to be paid in this regard and reclaiming the mantle of Warchief for any purpose other then to immediately hand it off to someone else would be detrimental to this.

- Saurfang has been out of the picture since the end of WotLK. If he were to suddenly reenter the story and take over the Horde, it might be a little too jarring. If he isn't in by patch 5.1, I'd be willing to write him off completely as a contender.

- Nazgrim simply isn't a big enough character yet and what we do know about him points to him being a Garrosh loyalist. While he may eventually join the rebellion for one reason or another, his personality is simply too similar to Garrosh's for him to be a good candidate.

The ultimate question however is, does Blizzard have the guts to put a non-Orc in charge of the Horde? It would be a major shift in theme away from what we have experienced since Warcraft 1.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Nazgrim I like but he's to hot headed at the moment. Thrall is a possibility but for some reason my gut says no. Saurfang is to old, lets face it he'd much rather have a quiet retirement in Northrend than the politics of the Horde.

Taking power away from the Warchief would be difficult, the faction leaders would need a balance where the warchief is still the highest executive position in the Horde but he can be stopped if he or she gets out of control.

In short lets see a Horde Parliament!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Objectively I think Baine or Vol'jin are the best two candidates.

All the Orcish candidates have problems that would be difficult to resolve in the timeframe we are dealing with.

- Thrall was the one who appointed Garrosh in the first place. A penance has to be paid in this regard and reclaiming the mantle of Warchief for any purpose other then to immediately hand it off to someone else would be detrimental to this.

- Saurfang has been out of the picture since the end of WotLK. If he were to suddenly reenter the story and take over the Horde, it might be a little too jarring. If he isn't in by patch 5.1, I'd be willing to write him off completely as a contender.

- Nazgrim simply isn't a big enough character yet and what we do know about him points to him being a Garrosh loyalist. While he may eventually join the rebellion for one reason or another, his personality is simply too similar to Garrosh's for him to be a good candidate.

The ultimate question however is, does Blizzard have the guts to put a non-Orc in charge of the Horde? It would be a major shift in theme away from what we have experienced since Warcraft 1.

Thing is, Garrosh was really the only option for Warchief when Thrall had to leave. And whether or not the Warchief is an orc is irrelevent, there still needs to be an orc faction leader.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/01/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Falrinn

All the serious ones, at any rate.

Other Orcs I've seen floated around as possible leaders include Nazgrel, Ariok, Thura, Gorgonna, Zaela, and no doubt a few others. All of them also need to get more exposure and cut their teeth before they can really vie for the job.

10/01/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Naijin
Thing is, Garrosh was really the only option for Warchief when Thrall had to leave. And whether or not the Warchief is an orc is irrelevent, there still needs to be an orc faction leader.

Sure, but the Horde faction leader need not be the Orcs' faction leader.
Edited by Kellick on 10/1/2012 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/01/2012 07:00 PMPosted by Kellick
Nazgrel

Nazgrel was there at the founding in WCIII. Damn shame he was sent to Outland and left in Thrallmar. He had a lot of good Orcish qualities, was rather capable as a commander and he had restraint. Just no recent exposure or fanfare.
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Naijin
I know alot of Alliance players have some fantasy that the ruler of Orgrimmar will be some human who makes sure the 'demon lusting orcs' are kept in check.

Actually I think Alliance players are familiar enough with Blizzard to beleive such silly notions.

10/01/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Naijin
Thrall could return, Garrosh was only supposed to be Warchief while Thrall took care of Deathwing. With the Cataclysm over, Thrall is free to put back on Doomhammer's armor, and march right in. Some might say that he was an ineffetive ruler, but the fact is, he kept the peace fairly well with a few exceptions (the various battlegrounds), was the founder of the peaceful side of the Horde. He is a unifying figure among the Horde, and someone the Alliance is at least familiar with.

And was pushed down the Alliance's throat with a statement and a promise that he was a neutral, a "world" character. Forcing us to work with him and then giving him right back to the Hrde would be cheap and low. Even for Blizzard.

On your other options, Nazgrim is a lunatic and Saurfang is decrepit.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
10/01/2012 07:19 PMPosted by Heon
I know alot of Alliance players have some fantasy that the ruler of Orgrimmar will be some human who makes sure the 'demon lusting orcs' are kept in check.

Actually I think Alliance players are familiar enough with Blizzard to beleive such silly notions.

And was pushed down the Alliance's throat with a statement and a promise that he was a neutral, a "world" character. Forcing us to work with him and then giving him right back to the Hrde would be cheap and low. Even for Blizzard.

On your other options, Nazgrim is a lunatic and Saurfang is decrepit.

And Varian is a warmonger and Vellen is useless.

Thrall's aspect powers are gone now, so he's fine being Warchief. He was a world character in Cata, now he can go back to do his job.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/01/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Naijin
And Varian is a warmonger and Vellen is useless.

Varian only wants to protect his people. He's no more a "warmonger" than Lothar was.

10/01/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Naijin
Thrall's aspect powers are gone now, so he's fine being Warchief. He was a world character in Cata, now he can go back to do his job.

Thrall wasn't depowered at the end of the Dragon Soul because he wasn't really an Aspect to begin with. He was just a shaman with an exceptionally strong connection to the earth (as a side-effect of his Elemental Bonds ordeal), and that allowed him to fill in for the Earth-Warder.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thrall wasn't depowered at the end of the Dragon Soul because he wasn't really an Aspect to begin with. He was just a shaman with an exceptionally strong connection to the earth (as a side-effect of his Elemental Bonds ordeal), and that allowed him to fill in for the Earth-Warder.

Which totally doesn't make sense because Thrall was the only threat that mattered before the Elemental Bonds questline, so unless Blizzards trying to pull the worst "Prophecy can make you fulfill prophecy" ever, that's a plot hole.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
10/01/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Ferlion
Which totally doesn't make sense because Thrall was the only threat that mattered before the Elemental Bonds questline, so unless Blizzards trying to pull the worst "Prophecy can make you fulfill prophecy" ever, that's a plot hole.

I don't... how are you surprised?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]