Astronomically low DPS in heroics?

90 Night Elf Hunter
I'd really appreciate help from somebody who is faring well with 5.0.5. Take a look at my gear and spec and tell me what I'm doing wrong because my DPS is absolutely horrendous.

I'm not a good player by any stretch of the word - I want to get into challenge modes in Mists but I obviously can't when straining to pull 30k DPS while adhering to - what I believe to be - a solid rotation. I don't think I make major mistakes; my latency is pretty optimal and I'm always over 60 FPS. I don't keyturn or click and my muscle memory is fairly developed.

Please, somebody who is better than me in PvE, I implore you to help me out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Most hunter dps is really low right now. I'm no expert but even my DPS is barely higher then it was in Cata. And yes, i know i'm not gemmed right now but a few gems won't make a 30k DPS increase to match other classes. From what i understand, hunters and boomkins are lowest on the DPS charts.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714702568?page=1
Edited by Kayely on 10/1/2012 6:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Agh, it helps to know that it isn't solely my fault. When I really try to single-target DPS and micromanage all of my abilities as Marks I barely pull over a sustained 30k DPS.

I may sound biased here but it really sucks having to try so hard to barely pull my weight in heroics when elemental shamans can just spam their facemelters and pull 60k.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
one problem might be that you're going against Higher geared DPS than you. i wouldnt worry about it until you're in full heroic dungeon gear. other than that, make sure you're doing the right rotation ( for BM it's SS- KC- CS until KC is off Cd,)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Run the Arena scenario for a better weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
most fights im ending at just above 60k dps, while hitting well over 100k during my burst as BM
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/01/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Wayllo
most fights im ending at just above 60k dps, while hitting well over 100k during my burst as BM

"Most fights" end right as BM runs out of cooldowns, so this is hardly a good sign.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/01/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Kaylleth
I'd really appreciate help from somebody who is faring well with 5.0.5. Take a look at my gear and spec and tell me what I'm doing wrong because my DPS is absolutely horrendous.

I feel your pain. I've even tried supplementing my damage while I'm building focus with engineering stuff (Landshark and IF launcher), and I'm still struggling. I'm pretty much throwing everything but the kitchen sink out there, and still coming up way short of people on top of the DPS meter.

Don't feel bad it's definitely not all you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Well, the first issue I see is that your weapon is HORRIBLE. Run the Arena of Annihilation scenario and you'll be better off. Secondly, you're not hit or Expertise capped for heroics, so that could contribute to the issue a great deal.

But, the biggest thing imo, is how comfortable you are with your spec. I was doing 30-35k DPS around your gear level as BM, which is a spec I HATE with a burning passion, so I switched to SV, my personal favorite spec I had mastered over the course of cata, and jumped to 35-40k sustained. Now I can burst upwards of 100k DPS and, depeding on the fight, I can sustain from... 53-65k And, before you call BS, it does depend on the fight. Single target fights that require no movement are the ones I end in the 55-60k range, though movement fights are slightly more taxing.

So, like I said, play what you're comfortable with. I've seen people say all hunter specs are garbage atm, but rather close in terms of DPS, so do what you enjoy. But, if I remember right, BM was Simulating at 4-6k DPS higher than SV at full HT14 gear and MM was 4-6k behind SV.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Get a better ranged weapon for sure will help.

Max your hit and Expertise and you will find your DPS JUMP way up

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/emerald_dream/kaylleth
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't have all the chants i need but i am not seeing this 100k burst unless i am sv and it is AOE. I see the 60k but have yet to peak at 100k during any burst.

With dire beast, stampede, BW, lynx, rf, closest i can get is around 80k single target.\

As others have said, get a weapon. I couldn't get any to drop in all the heroics then got extremely lucky and my dps jumped up ALOT.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Well, the first issue I see is that your weapon is HORRIBLE. Run the Arena of Annihilation scenario and you'll be better off. Secondly, you're not hit or Expertise capped for heroics, so that could contribute to the issue a great deal.

But, the biggest thing imo, is how comfortable you are with your spec. I was doing 30-35k DPS around your gear level as BM, which is a spec I HATE with a burning passion, so I switched to SV, my personal favorite spec I had mastered over the course of cata, and jumped to 35-40k sustained. Now I can burst upwards of 100k DPS and, depeding on the fight, I can sustain from... 53-65k And, before you call BS, it does depend on the fight. Single target fights that require no movement are the ones I end in the 55-60k range, though movement fights are slightly more taxing.

So, like I said, play what you're comfortable with. I've seen people say all hunter specs are garbage atm, but rather close in terms of DPS, so do what you enjoy. But, if I remember right, BM was Simulating at 4-6k DPS higher than SV at full HT14 gear and MM was 4-6k behind SV.

No way you do 100k with that gear stop lying
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Are we at the point where 30k single target dps in a 5-man is considered "astronomically low".
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Ive noticed we are heavily cooldown dependant now, with all CDs rolling I can hold my own, if I want to save murder/readiness for anything then it drops off dramatically.

Are we at the point where 30k single target dps in a 5-man is considered "astronomically low".

Its low to average at best :/
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
I'm averaging 37-40k but I'm a bit worried about my DPS in raids today. The fights will be longer so the BM burst won't be able to help alot like it does now.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I have been able to do decently, finish with about 50k dps. Burst up to about 75k (that is with trinket and scope proc). Hunters in general aren't doing so hot this patch. They have simmed as the lowest dps'ing class overall. Quite sad really. I'm sure we will be OP like we always have been later on in Mists of Pandaria. :) Have fun out there guys!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/02/2012 01:42 AMPosted by Celestic
No way you do 100k with that gear stop lying

Hes talking about Gen Pav I bet. I was able to hit 175k on that one, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/02/2012 01:43 AMPosted by Murdina

Spec frost and learn it... then come back and post again. Frost in "decent" gear is pulling 60k+ with a faceroll rotation. BM with cooldowns properly utilized and everything done well pulls 45k tops in ~460 item level gear.

I would say, yes, hunters dps is "astronomically low". I really enjoy my hunter, though, and don't plan to give her up.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
It certainly feels pretty low. I get blown out of the water by DKs or locks in similar gear. I know it's mostly just anecdotal but it feels pretty bad, or maybe we are just so extremely gear dependent in order to compete with the top spots. They've improved upon a lot of things, I'd say mostly PvP-wise for us, but certain things still feel clunky and feel as if they hold us back more than anything. Besides the expertise change which isn't all that big a deal, my biggest gripe is cobra/steady shot, it's low damage/cast time/focus regen. I hate it. More than anything.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]