How's paladin healing in 5.x?

90 Pandaren Monk
First: Apologies for a rather self serving thread.

Second: One of my guilds has recently come into the need of a healer, coinciding with Mist's release.

Because of this, I'm abandoning my current DPS toon I was leveling (hunter) in favor of a healer.

A paladin is my highest level healing capable alt (85, compared to 83 shaman, 60 druid, 45 monk, 40 priest).

So I guess I just want to ask: How does Paladin healing feel in 5.x? Bonus points for people who've played more than one healer and can offer some perspective on style.

As a note. I don't really care about numbers here at all. Numbers change. I'm mostly concerned about playstyle and how engaging they are to play, especially when compared to other healing specs.

Thanks for any answers I can get.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I'm not gonna lie, I decided to ditch my Pally because I didn't like the (minor) changes they made. Big thing I miss is the Cata Daybreak proc (double Holy Shocks). It's probably not enough to make other people drop Pally though. I just miss the pacing that proc gave us, but I also did more raiding in 4.1 than 4.3, so the new Holy Radiance might make up for it?

I actually also miss having a reason to judge regularly, but I know that wasn't very popular.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Paladins are great. They're arguably the best healer right now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/29/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Desiration
Paladins are great. They're arguably the best healer right now.

I've heard that, though I'm honestly not particularly concerned with numbers right now. Numbers change, playstyles usually remain at least slightly static throughout an expansion.

I just don't want to commit myself to the class only to end up with a very one dimensional style. But after talking to a few other people, it seems like that's not the case.

09/29/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Styln
I haven't healed since wrath on my shaman but paladin feels weak as hell. I can't tell if theres just something i'm missing or if these groups are really this awful in brewfest. I had no trouble in the normal 5mans, but those were ridiculously easy all around. My biggest problem if managing aoe damage and still keeping up some awful warriors tank. Like if my holy shock doesn't crit during daybreak i can be in some real trouble type of thing.

Odd. I haven't heard that before, but thanks for the info.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/29/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Sparklefever
Paladins aren't weak at all, and balance-wise we're second-best after Mistweavers.

Yeah, have heard good things about misweavers. Won't have time to get one to 90 in a reasonable timeframe though as this alt lacks heirlooms. That's for another topic though.

Do you enjoy the spec? Do you find yourself using most of your healing spells? Very few of them? Is it engaging in combat or do you find yourself sort of drumming over the same few buttons in a daze?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Since hitting 90 I've had some good and bad experiences as Holy, but they seem to be issues that I've been having on all my healers (I have all the healers at 85, with the exception of my Paladin which is at 90, and I haven't leveled a Monk on live yet) and that fellow guildies are having.

The issues primarily have to do with people thinking that this is Cata, and we can just bum-rush mobs and bosses without paying much attention to what's going on around them. When this does happen, I can keep people alive but it isn't the easiest (low spell-power and spirit consequences).

I'm having to really think about how I'm going to go about healing an encounter, which I like. Previously when my raid-leader would assign groups to heal, all of us healers would just be like, "We'll heal people that are dying." and it would be fine. Now, however, I'm having to be strategic with my heals so that I have big, powerful heals available when I need them.

IE:

Making sure that if I'm going to WoG, that it is 100% with 3 HoPo and no less unless it's an absolute emergency (and pray to the Blizzard-gods that the itty-bitty baby WoG crits).

Having 100% uptime of Sacred Shield on my tank, and NEVER letting it fall off (easier said than done).

Utilizing Beacon of Light when people are taking damage.

I'm noticing that I'm ending fights with anywhere between 30-40% mana (sometimes more, depending on the group), but my top heal is Beacon of Light, then it's Illuminated Healing, Holy Shock and then Holy Light.

Biggest downside I've seen (and something I'm seeing a few people mention) is that "greater" equivalent heals aren't really doing much when comparing it's effectiveness in Cataclysm. In order to top someone off that is practically dying with Divine Light, I need to use quite a few of them. HS + Divine Light just doesn't heal someone like it used to.

These are just my observations, and a lot of the issues will go away once people are used to their class and the encounters. I definitely wouldn't say that Holy is weak, because it feels very, very powerful if done correctly. I just don't think that I can say, "a monkey could heal with a Paladin" anymore, like I could say back in Cata. :P

PS: Warrior tanks are the most amazing tanks to heal. <3
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
^ Have you tried Eternal Flame or Selfless healer? Or is SS just that much better?

Do you find yourself using your 90 talents very often? What about Light of Dawn and Holy Radiance?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I like the idea of having a HoT, but I don't like having to sacrifice WoG in order to get it. However, I did DPS a heroic with another Holy Pally who had that, and it healed for quite a bit. I haven't touched it too much, aside from just seeing what it's like on myself in SW. :P

The reason I go with SS is because of how long it lasts, the fact that the absorb scales with SP (I currently sit at 18-20k each time it absorbs), and because PRESENTLY, absorbs are something that my raid group doesn't have (Resto Druid, Resto Shaman, Holy Pally). Selfless Healer would be strange for Holy to take as it would require us to Judge in order to get benefit off of it. If judging gave us mana back again, then it would be a decent choice.

In the 5m heroics, I'm using LoD more than HR, even then I only use LoD when I get a Divine Purpose proc chain to build up bubbles on everyone. HR currently costs too much mana than I can regen given the healing through-put it doesn't provide in a 5m. People usually aren't stacked to get the best use of it.

I chose Execution Sentence as my level 90 talent. It. Is. Amazing. :D It's basically a LoH turned into a HoT on a 1 minute CD. I used it ONCE on a boss fight, it did almost 200k healing on my tank. I tried out Holy Prism, and I like it a lot. I think it's going to be pretty situational when/where it'll provide the most through-put (like on fights where everyone is stacked frequently for AE healing, and you can use it to raid heal).

(Edit: Right now I'm going with haste just to get heals off faster. Probably not going to stick to it because I love HPal mastery.)
Edited by Eviva on 9/29/2012 2:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
From what I've seen, eternal flame doesn't sacrifice wog, it adds the HoT onto it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Paladins are amazing right now they have more healing cooldowns than priest and druids. Also their output for their mana efficient heal is amazing. With use of a certain talent they can have some of the most efficient aoe burst in the game. They dont require judging constantly any more. They can have two shields with talents. The mastery shield is very efficient; i think more efficient than disc's shields. For healing tanks they are amazing. For healing the raid they are bad in unstacked situations. For healing in stacked situations, they cant constantly spam their aoe but are really great when the entire raid is down 25% or in burst situations. the reason for the change in stacked aoe is our aoe healing does not have a hot component anymore. Also for times in a fight when damage dealt is low or non-existant, Pallies have good damage for low mana costs. For all of these reasons I would choose to bring a pally to a raid.

I also play a holy priest and a resto druid. Honestly my paladin and my holy priest are my favorite healers for all of the utility they bring.
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Priest
I dropped my Paladin after 5.0. Losing Daybreak along with FOL being removed from the other proc, whatever it's called, turned the spec too immobile for my tastes. I also dislike our new AOE that requires us to use Holy Shock, though the change to Light of Dawn is nice (For aoe- the fact that it transfers through beacon is weird all over again).

My mistweaver is only level 70 so I can't comment on it really yet (right now it's just this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf-iTfFRNcU) but among the others I found Shaman to be the most entertaining and diverse at level 85. You've got a pretty deep toolkit, good answers to any conceivable situation and a boatload of interesting utilities like capacitor totem, stormlash totem, bloodlust, even the elementals can be cool in the right situation (Like a 5 man). Healing Stream totem is my favorite healing move now too, hands down, its a cool little thing. Healing Stream is an amazing "Big" cooldown.

I haven't played anything past 85 yet though, this is all post-5.0 pre-panda perspective.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My biggest complaint with holy right now is that it feels so slow. A big part is my gear (logged in ret gear since I did dailys last yesterday)!!! Heroics have been rather sparse in dropping gear for me (same with the other healer in the guild, we joke that the rest of the raid is going to all dies Wednesday if we don't come across some gear soon). It requires such a high haste rating to drop cast times. I am shooting for a 2 second cast time and then plan on stacking mastery, after spirit of course.

Other than being slow, not judging was a big adjustment. I do like having eternal flame! I raid with a prot pally who specs sacred shield, so I went with the HoT and the combination of EF and BoL, I rarely need to bother casting a heal on him. Though I do miss having access to WoG for when I have three holy power and don't need to refresh the HoT and LoD isn't needed. I feel confident that I will do well in raids with my current tool kit and feel that paladins will remain in a good position.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/29/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Emerin
I actually also miss having a reason to judge regularly, but I know that wasn't very popular.

I miss this as well, I know they said it was "clunky" but I thought it gave us something extra to manage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I sold my pally during LK, and am coming back for mists. I can tell you that each of the healing classes has always specialized in something different. I once had 3 raid geared 80 healers: priest, hpal, and rdruid. My favorite, by far, is the pally. The druid was a close second, because the hots got really overpowered when they introduced lifebloom. That being said, Paladins specialize in instant, direct heals. Pally heals are all about being able to move, being able to restore large dmg to a single target instantly and consistently, and above all having a lot of 'oh !@#$' buttons of various sorts. If you utilize your entire spellkit, the paladin just has too many instant direct and aoe heals compared to the other classes. A gifted hpal will wipe the floor with an rdruid, simply because they'll be faster than the druid's hot ticks with holyshock. I like to think that the pally is like the rogue of healing, lots of tricks, lots of direct healing.

All in all though, it doesn't really matter, all the healers are constantly being tweaked to keep one from having too significant an edge over the other.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
(sorry for double post) Also, I love the idea of selfless healer, and I find it makes my job easier constantly. Maybe that's the hpal's new reason to consistently judge, I know I do it all the time, just to get the buff so that I constantly have it. Pally gameplay seems to be about keeping track of a lot of different timers and buffs which make instant mediocre heals into powerful instant or very fast heals. Anyways, yeah <3 pallies is the gist of that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]