DPS over Damage?

sometimes i get a gear upgrade..normally a weapon and it is an upgrade to what i currently have but when i equip it while it increases my DPS it decreases my damage. wht should i focus on..the DPS or the damage?

TY
Reply Quote
I'm not sure where you are getting DPS and damage from, so you should clarify that, but more importantly are you talking about on this mage or some other character?

If you are talking about on this mage, the last thing you should care about is weapon damage (assuming that's what you're talking about). You shouldn't be using those weapons as anything but lovely accessories that boost your stats (ideally Intellect, plus some assortment of secondary stats).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Mages don't use typically use their weapons in combat, the DPS & damage rating on weapons is only when you are actually using it to shoot/stab/or bash something's face in.

Your damage as a mage comes from your spells (raining fire, zapping with pure magical power, shooting freezing balls of ice, etc). The amount of damage your spells do is directly affected by how much intellect you collectively have on all your items, more intellect = more raw magical power. This is why caster weapons are referred to as "stat sticks", equip whatever gives you the most intellect (this goes for your armor as well).

Also stats of hit, crit, and haste will be very beneficial to you. As hit decreases the chances you'll get a "miss" result, crit increases the chance your spells will deal double damage, and haste decreases the amount of time you have to wait between your spells. If you can without losing out on a big intellect boost, try not to go with anything that has spirit on it. Spirit does nothing useful for a mage, as it's a healer stat and no version of mages can heal other people.
Edited by Avanna on 9/29/2012 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
This is why caster weapons are referred to as "stat sticks", equip whatever gives you the most intellect (this goes for your armor as well).

Caster weapons are a bit special in that they also have spell power (at OP's level range). Usually speaking, the weapon with the higher spellpower is better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm not sure where you are getting DPS and damage from, so you should clarify that, but more importantly are you talking about on this mage or some other character?

If you are talking about on this mage, the last thing you should care about is weapon damage (assuming that's what you're talking about). You shouldn't be using those weapons as anything but lovely accessories that boost your stats (ideally Intellect, plus some assortment of secondary stats).

I assume Mystiix means the actual damage and DPS on the weapon

For example, mine is:
5460 - 8191 Damage
(1896.0 damage per second)
Reply Quote

I assume Mystiix means the actual damage and DPS on the weapon

For example, mine is:
5460 - 8191 Damage
(1896.0 damage per second)

That is certainly a reasonable guess and was what I was assuming, but it's entirely possible she was seeing dps in an addon or someplace else. Who knows?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
if alive and at 100% uptime, dps and damage variations are equal. as a caster, equipping strong dps weapons will lower the damage you do since the strong weapons are used to hit things not to shoot spells at things.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]