Leveling a Panda through Pandaria

89 Pandaren Shaman
This is incredibly awkward, I called the final straw after meeting the Jade Dragon and her telling me that she hasn't seen my kind in thousands of years. It is as if Blizzard clearly wanted to kill any immersion into the game if you wanted to be a Panda. There really isn't much to discuss about this, but I was just wondering if anyone else had a rough time getting through 85-90 on their Panda with all this outsider crap going on.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You are an outsider. Wandering Isle Pandaren split from mainland Pandaria thousands of years ago.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
09/29/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Velarin
You are an outsider. Wandering Isle Pandaren split from mainland Pandaria thousands of years ago.

It's really a case of Blizzard letting a technicality justify the tech. We all know the truth there is that they didn't want to bother making entirely different text just for Pandaren players.

Kind of like how Night Elves call me a Night Elf, and not a Kaldorei, or just, "Hey, you".

edit: And hey, look at the OP's armory pose. His tabard has nipple-eyes!
Edited by Draile on 9/29/2012 8:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Draile(n) pretty much hits the nail on the head

Playable Pandaren, rp aside, are all from the Wandering Isle, which officially hasn't been to Pandaria in ten millenia. The Jade Serpent isn't far off when she says she hasn't seen someone like you in that long
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/29/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Tsabasi
any immersion

http://i45.tinypic.com/bh0guq.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/29/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Noitora
any immersion

http://i45.tinypic.com/bh0guq.jpg

lol'd
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Shaman
[quote="67582780190"]

edit: And hey, look at the OP's armory pose. His tabard has nipple-eyes!

They are for immersion.
Reply Quote
The other Pandaren are in the right for calling you an outsider, or throwing odd looks your way. You spent most of your time with the races of the Horde/Alliance, and you probably know little of how things work in mainland Pandaria. The natives would also look upon you with trepidition for showing up with one of the factions that are bringing war and destruction to their country. The Pandaren of Pandaria have lived lifestyles of total isolationism. An individual of their own species going against the grain would do more than raise a few eyebrows. Heck, that's exactly what happens IRL. The Jade SERPENT could be interpreted as saying it's been thousands of years since she's seen a Pandaren with wanderlust (because thousands of years ago, those pandas decided to leave!).
Edited by Jour on 9/30/2012 12:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I think people are giving blizzard way more credit then they deserve. I think the most likely scenario is that Draile is right. They didn't bother to change the dialog for each race.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Must be awkward on an orc.

"I haven't seen your kind in thousand of years,"

"Well we weren't there..."
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Must be awkward on an orc.

"I haven't seen your kind in thousand of years,"

"Well we weren't there..."

Forsaken as well.

And Draenei...

huh.

Oh and Worgen, too.
Edited by Gheng on 9/30/2012 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
To be fair, the Pandaren (and I assume the Jade Serpent) were alive at the time of the Well of Eternity.

Draenei existed as the Eredar.

There was one Orc: Broxigar.

You could also interpret the dialogue "one of your kind" as simply meaning "an outsider."

It's a long shot, but I think it works.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Yu'lon says: In thousands of years, we have never seen one of your kind.

Well, considering that the Great Turtle left three thousand years ago, it doesn't make that line wrong.

Remember, the Jade Serpent isn't a Ancient or Loa, they have a lifepan, she may have not been alive then.
Edited by Gruffe on 9/30/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Yeah, it sounds rather awkward. We're also not sure if they really saw Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, or Blood Elves either, as they were still Vykrul, Earthen, Mechanomes, and Night Elves, respectively.

So, the Jade Serpent had seen Trolls, Tauren, and Night Elves.

I am going to petition Blizzard to change that line to "I haven't seen anyone from the outside world in thousands of years". That seems to have been their intent, anways.
Edited by Abal on 9/30/2012 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You could also interpret the dialogue "one of your kind" as simply meaning "an outsider."

It's a long shot, but I think it works.

It is a long shot, because it's scrambling to justify something that came from Blizzard laziness. The same thing can be said about Draenei in Outland - You fellow Draenei treated you as a stranger, even tough, Lorewise, you had left not even a year ago.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I find the whole thing very awkward going through as a Death Knight myself.

"It is good we have such a powerful death knight on our side."

"... do you even know WHAT a death knight is?"

"They're like party clowns for funerals, right?"

". . ."
Reply Quote
09/30/2012 07:13 AMPosted by Melior
I think people are giving blizzard way more credit then they deserve. I think the most likely scenario is that Draile is right. They didn't bother to change the dialog for each race.

I'm well aware it doesn't make sense with the newer races like orcs and such. It's definately caused by a technicality. I'm just saying that it's not as odd that she says it to Pandaren of the Wandering Isle, which was the starting topic of this thread.

Although to be fair, she could be refering to humans when she speaks to a worgen or Forsaken* character. This leads to the question of whether it was possible for humans to be in Pandaria thousands of years ago.

*A forsaken might take offense to this, since some try to distant themselves as far from their past lives as possible.
Reply Quote
I find the whole thing very awkward going through as a Death Knight myself.

"It is good we have such a powerful death knight on our side."

"... do you even know WHAT a death knight is?"

"They're like party clowns for funerals, right?"

". . ."

The Pandaren seem like such a forgiving people, I'm sure they would give a form of undead the chance to walk the path of harmony... But yeah, I think they would be just a *little* more mortified and unnerved if they knew your story.
Edited by Jour on 10/1/2012 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I found it rather odd that fellow Night Elves thought that calling me an "honorary sentinel" was a compliment.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
10/01/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Kyalin
I found it rather odd that fellow Night Elves thought that calling me an "honorary sentinel" was a compliment.

Well, adventurers are not a part of the military in game, so the quest text looks at you as a adventurer, not a Sentinel.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]