The huge flaw with Golden Lotus Rep

(Locked)

1 Blood Elf Mage
If WoW is so much fun and people would want to play it that much, Blizzard doesn't need to put into the game something purely meant to "make sure people play every day." If the game is fun, people will play it voluntarily. By creating all these daily quest requirements, they're doing their own product a disservice, and in fact telling you that they themselves don't think it's very good.

And that's too bad, because everything else about MoP has been great so far. The leveling was fun, the zones are nice, the stories are cool, the heroics are enjoyable, the world bosses are entertaining. But the rep grind in order to get gear that you won't even need by the time you finish the rep is completely terrible.

I don't even want to think about my alts yet because I know when I do, it's going to give me a migraine.
Edited by Kara on 10/1/2012 12:35 PM PDT
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock

That's not what people are saying at all. The main complaints are that the dailies gate off shado-pan and august celestials dailies and are boring. And that by the time people unlock the gear from the rep vendors it will be obsolete BECAUSE they are already raiding and will have better gear. It's people who raid who are upset about this because they essentially are grinding rep for gear that will not be good for them once they start downing bosses. You can clear a raid in a week and get some gear, or you can grind golden lotus for a month and then shado-pan for another two months to finally get gear that's on par or worse than what you got from raiding.

Perhaps read the comments in the thread before commenting yourself.

I did read the responses. A bunch of garbage player casuals are crying because a rep system that offers no tangible reward outside of vanity rewards are ALL UPSET AS THEY ALWAYS are because herp-a-derp they aren't going to be on parity with others.

Its crying over a system that offers no tangible reward that is beneficial to a player outside of vanity items. And its not Raiders that are mad over it because any raider is working on the last few slots from Heroics to hit 463 and are already gemmed and enchanted for what they need.

Its casuals as always, crying about parity that they do not need, deserve, or require since they will not be pushing the content at the same pace or rate that others will be.

Again, no RAIDER is going to be upset over the rep rewards/rep requirements when the rewards offered are lower then the HEROIC REWARDS. But way to prove that in order to be a MVP on these forums you have to support Blizzards cancer.

Though it must be my bad right, having heroics designed at the pace and level that Cata's were at the start of the expansion must be a really, really, really difficult thing for some players to understand.

Your response is all over the place and all I see is someone worked up about a casual vs. hardcores argument that doesn't even exist in this thread. Not even worth my time. Good luck with your attitude.
90 Tauren Druid
let's be honest together about a couple things:

1) This gear was never meant as a primary path to ilvl. I think this is the place where most of those in this thread are getting stumped. Put it this way: mathematically, there is no path where ilvl 450s outclass random drop 463s in the time requirements, and there's no path mathematically where the VP gear from rep outclasses the 476+ from raids that you'd get over the same time frame from downing raid bosses.

THIS IS BY DESIGN.

I know you don't want to hear it, but this system is by design. They want people to focus on drops, not vendor, for gear. Focusing on the rep as being gated or whatever other bad argument is being floated in whichever thread happens to be kvetching about the system misses the ENTIRE POINT of the system.

2) I don't disagree with you about the complaint about having gates for rep in one specific area: that there is an inappropriate gate to the Shado-pan and August Celestials reps I doubt many would argue. What we disagree on is the solution. Here's another one for the mix:

Allow people to trade Lesser Charms of Good Fortune for Golden Lotus rep.

That's it. This way those who REALLY want the rep gear, because they won't be raiding any time soon, can get their rep faster, and let's be honest, the greater charms will do them little good cause they're not doing much in the way of actual raiding anyway. It also introduces an interesting choice for those who play a little more to debate on whether they'd rather have an additional boss loot roll or that extra ~5-10k rep.

Anyway, largely my point is that this system is working as intended. The intention as stated was to make gear that drops more sought after and mroe valuable than gear from a vendor. This system accomplishes that goal.
Edited by Orsnoire on 10/1/2012 12:44 PM PDT
90 Gnome Warrior
Here's the problem, at least in my opinion (and then it's nap time!). Remember MF? Remember ToC? Remember TB? Remember all the 'Oh no, I have NOTHING to do now!' complaints we saw before Mists launched? Well, frankly, this is the end result. It gives the game longevity that it didn't have before.

What did you do with TB once you hit exalted? You never went back. However, NOW you have a REASON to go back because there are reps to be unlocked. Personally, while it's a bit frustrating, it's not that big a deal. I'd personally like to see MORE GL dailies, sure. But that's the impatient part of my brain. The other parts tell me, "Dude, slow your roll. You'll get there soon enough."

Perhaps that's what we need to take away from this and it really befits all the lessons the Pandaren have been trying to teach us: we just need to slow our roll.
90 Human Mage
then why not just let those that have not logged in get a bonus based on the days or time played during the week they did not loggin..

that's.. absurd. you shouldn't gain anything from simply not logging in
5 Gnome Mage
It's INSANE how many people don't get that it's an mmo, and you shouldn't be able to obtain everything right away. Stuff takes time, and blizz NEEDS this tuff to take time. You'll be subscribed longer #1 and #2 that's how all mmos work. The ones that give you everything at once are the mmos that don't keep people for long.
90 Draenei Shaman
I played in Vanilla and can say that MOP has the same feel to it. However, back then, you didnt complain because thats the way it was and no amount of complaining would mean anything. People complain now because they know eventually Blizz will do "something" about it, whether that be raising the rep awarded, creating tabards for dungeons, etc. I personally do not look forward to the long grind, but that is because I got used to the way rep was farmed in previous expansions. Although I do not look forward to the grind, I will say that I dont mind working for something. Its a game, if you dont like how it is setup, then get over with it, or play something else.....
90 Tauren Druid
10/01/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Snapolicious
I played in Vanilla and can say that MOP has the same feel to it. However, back then, you didnt complain because thats the way it was and no amount of complaining would mean anything. People complain now because they know eventually Blizz will do "something" about it, whether that be raising the rep awarded, creating tabards for dungeons, etc. I personally do not look forward to the long grind, but that is because I got used to the way rep was farmed in previous expansions. Although I do not look forward to the grind, I will say that I dont mind working for something. Its a game, if you dont like how it is setup, then get over with it, or play something else.....

Actually, Snapolicious, as others in this thread are highlighting, the most the Devs are likely to do here is simply bring up the fact that heroics have a SUPER forgiving barrier to entry, and that Heroic drops are the primary gear up method by design this expansion. When people realize that JP gear wouldn't even get them to LFR-readiness anyway, that will even better seal the deal and people will simply run heroics to get their gear as dropped, which, by the way, is by design.
90 Human Warlock

That's not what people are saying at all. The main complaints are that the dailies gate off shado-pan and august celestials dailies and are boring. And that by the time people unlock the gear from the rep vendors it will be obsolete BECAUSE they are already raiding and will have better gear. It's people who raid who are upset about this because they essentially are grinding rep for gear that will not be good for them once they start downing bosses. You can clear a raid in a week and get some gear, or you can grind golden lotus for a month and then shado-pan for another two months to finally get gear that's on par or worse than what you got from raiding.

Perhaps read the comments in the thread before commenting yourself.

I did read the responses. A bunch of garbage player casuals are crying because a rep system that offers no tangible reward outside of vanity rewards are ALL UPSET AS THEY ALWAYS are because herp-a-derp they aren't going to be on parity with others.

Its crying over a system that offers no tangible reward that is beneficial to a player outside of vanity items. And its not Raiders that are mad over it because any raider is working on the last few slots from Heroics to hit 463 and are already gemmed and enchanted for what they need.

Its casuals as always, crying about parity that they do not need, deserve, or require since they will not be pushing the content at the same pace or rate that others will be.

Again, no RAIDER is going to be upset over the rep rewards/rep requirements when the rewards offered are lower then the HEROIC REWARDS. But way to prove that in order to be a MVP on these forums you have to support Blizzards cancer.

Though it must be my bad right, having heroics designed at the pace and level that Cata's were at the start of the expansion must be a really, really, really difficult thing for some players to understand. And yes that is sssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrccccccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That Klaxxi rep, omg that klaxxi rep.

Its easier to argue against a preconceived notion because you are right before you even start.

Try thinking about what is being discussed here. Dont confuse your idea of what is being discussed, which seems to have been preset before you read a word, with what is actually being discussed.

You will be at risk of being wrong - but it will be a more useful exercise.
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/30/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Vodin
TL;DR: Blizzard needs to implement a "fast-track" method of farming reputation with MoP factions because the current system is massively flawed and only works in favor of a person who can play on a daily basis.

Why? In your example the dad with his block of 5 hours can be running dungeons and raids or getting rep with a range of different factions. Where as the girl playing in 5 one hour blocks is spending her time on a single faction, and can not raid.

Both will get all their reps to exalted at the same time, just in different orders.
They could have made the herb Golden Lotus obtainable by everyone to hand in for rep.
Anyone remember grinding Timbermaw rep in vanilla? lol
10/01/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Schnarf

Yes, i did timbermaw in one day.

I can not do this in MOP saddly.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I agree with this thread. Not only does it force people to log on and do their daily chores, but it also gates the whole reason for having Justice Point and Valor Point vendors. By the time I finally unlock any useful gear to fill in the gaps until I have it from the actual raid, I will have already filled in the slots. The reputation is abysmally low, and I have to get to revered TWICE in order to unlock anything useful gear-wise.

The only reason I'm even bothering with these dailies is because I need to unlock the enchanting formulas for the guild. Overall I think the whole concept of daily quests is stupid in the first place, but this is just silly.
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/01/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Madmartigan

Yes, i did timbermaw in one day.

I can not do this in MOP saddly.

Timbermaw is a great example of a workable grind. It can be accomplished as quickly or slowly as dictated by the amount of time the player wants to dedicate to it. What we are faced with is being forced into a pace which some of us find tedious. Is killing 20k mobs tedious? yes, but at least i could do that in a few days (or a day) and be done with it.

And why aren't exhalted rep achievs account wide? My alts are sad pandas ...
Yes, it would be great to be able to hit exalted with a faction in two or three days, then have no reason to have anything whatsoever to do with them again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ubLOKbx-Y

Relevant ^
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yes, it would be great to be able to hit exalted with a faction in two or three days, then have no reason to have anything whatsoever to do with them again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ubLOKbx-Y

Relevant ^

The amount of work should be equal for all players, however the pace should be up to the player.

Why aren't miners limited to 100 nodes per day? Would an arbitrary limit like that make mining better? Would you then be compelled to login every day to get your 100 nodes rather than login and get 700 nodes in one day, or 350 twice a week.

Why limit the amount of rep I can do in a day?

It isn't the amount of rep or the work involved, its enforcing a pace. the pace is not a one size fits all, its ok for some people, and way to slow for others.
90 Tauren Death Knight
I agree this has to be the worst set up ever. Whose brilliant idea was it to get a tabard after you become exalted? This is just plain lame beyond imagination. I too wish they would adjust it back to pre-mist capabilities.
90 Orc Death Knight
10/01/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Sophex
It's INSANE how many people don't get that it's an mmo, and you shouldn't be able to obtain everything right away. Stuff takes time, and blizz NEEDS this tuff to take time. You'll be subscribed longer #1 and #2 that's how all mmos work. The ones that give you everything at once are the mmos that don't keep people for long.

Its not about it taking time. Its about vendors with loads of loot the devs took time to build, that no one will ever use.

you understand by the time you have honored with shadopan, the JP gear on there will be obsolete. So why is there JP gear on Shadopan vendors?

I could care less if I ever cap it. I probably will when I get bored. Will I purchase any of the gear? no... am I stumped as to what the heck I will be spending my JP on? Yep.

I will buy recipes with Kyparium. I will craft with farmed materials. I will raid for loot, I will dungeon/scenerio for preraid loot. I still am not exactly sure why I care about Shadopan or Celestials or Golden lotus. Its all junk. Why do these factions even exist?

I cant even figure out why casuals who probably are still collecting pets are going to do with these reps. I guess people who never step into Dungeons or Scenerios or Heroics or Raids will one day have loot... to help them keep doing dailies? I guess? However they would have to do Dungeons for JP... right? so they will only be buying Valor stuff I guess.

Its all very confusing.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]