Holy Avenger OP for prot?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy Avenger seems to be by far our most powerful defensive CD for prot pallys.
We can rotate our abilities so that it can keep the Shield of Righteousness buff up throughout the entire duration (47% dmg reduction in my case).

That's 18sec of ~50% damage reduction while stacking the Bastion of Glory buff for the choice of a big WoG, all at a 2min cooldown.
Guardian of Ancient Kings is a 50% dmg reduction for only on 12sec. At a 3min cooldown.

Does anyone else think that this talent is just too powerful to not take?
I feel like the other two choices just don't keep up. Yes, Divine Purpose is different because it's a passive that gives you random boosts of durability throughout the fight, but the boost isn't really big and the 25% proc chance doesn't make it reliable. I just don't feel like it's worth missing out on what is by far our strongest defensive CD.
Edited by Blasco on 9/30/2012 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy Avenger seems to be by far our most powerful defensive CD for prot pallys.
We can rotate our abilities so that it can keep the Shield of Righteousness buff up throughout the entire duration (47% dmg reduction in my case).

Thats kinda the idea

That's 18sec of ~50% damage reduction while stacking the Bastion of Glory buff for the choice of a big WoG, all at a 2min cooldown.
Guardian of Ancient Kings is a 50% dmg reduction for only on 12sec. At a 3min cooldown.

1. Its physical damage only
2. Its not 50% because you need to take our normal uptime into account as well.
3. GoAK is on top of our normal uptime and works on all damage types.
4. GoAK does not cost talent points or an opportunity loss like HA does.

09/30/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Blasco
Does anyone else think that this talent is just too powerful to not take?

DP gives more SotR uptime than HA. Thing is HA is controllable and DP is not. I personally love the extra cd, but the other 2 talents are just as good. SW gives FAR more damage as well.

09/30/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Blasco
Yes, Divine Purpose is different because it's a passive that gives you random boosts of durability throughout the fight, but the boost isn't really big and the 25% proc chance doesn't make it reliable. I just don't feel like it's worth missing out on what is by far our strongest defensive CD.

Once again DP gives more SotR uptime (though you are right about reliability) and SW gives more damage.

HA is good at both damage and survival and makes a great cd. I expect most tanks will take HA but i dont agree that its miles better than the other 2.

EXCEPT for the fact that getting the ashbringer makes it 100x cooler than the other 2 options =D
Edited by Celyndrashad on 9/30/2012 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]