Advice for doing dailies as prot

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Basically, I'm a prot pally with a healing offspec.

And I'm finding it incredibly hard to do the MoP dailies.

Not that the quests are hard, or that the mobs are hard, or anything like that, it's just...

I have to do like a metric crapton of dailies every day and they all involve killing X number of mobs, and I can DPS at like 15-20k / sec if I'm lucky with my fresh 90 gear.

Which means mobs that have 700k - 800k health take me almost a minute to kill.

See where I'm going with this?

Does anyone have any legit advice on how to DPS more efficiently in prot so I can get these dailies done faster? And please don't tell me "Go Ret." -.-

I've tried dragging DPS from my guild along with me but they basically just carry me through the quests 'cause they can get the mobs down to like 20% in a matter of seconds. I feel guilty for being carried.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Try pulling 8+ quest mobs at once. They will all die in the same time it takes you to kill one, but you'll be completing the quest much faster.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
That is really the best way to do the majority of the quests. Also, if you accidentally pull one mob .. might as well grab all his friends in the area will take about the same amount of time but more shots at motes and whatnot.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, the aoe grind is how you can quest efficiently as prot. If you're in the Dread Wastes, you can even get buffs from the Klaxxi that work hilariously with that.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=131767
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=124529
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=127794
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I don't mind doing stuff as my warrior since I can actually convert the rage I don't need for defenses into more damage...but that's not possible for my prot paladin.

The answer? Don't. Go ret. I mean FFS, Holy has better dps output than Prot does.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Pull as much as is possible without the mobs resetting.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
10/01/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Ðemolition

Yeah or do the same thing as ret and *still* kill faster. Face it, prot-paladin non-vengeanced DPS is abysmal, and nothing is going to make that any less true.
Edited by Feandel on 10/1/2012 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior

Yeah or do the same thing as ret and *still* kill faster. Face it, prot-paladin non-vengeanced DPS is abysmal, and nothing is going to make that any less true.

You're right.

Personally I hate the "baww i refuse to go <Tank class' DPS spec> to quest and I want to solo just as fast as prot" people. I hate tanks without a DPS spec even more because of 1 tank fights in raids. But you can make it less bad if you insist on it.
Edited by Ðemolition on 10/1/2012 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
You can also see if a DPS in your guild wants help doing them, get them to pull all the things.

I've done dailies for the last couple days with a priest, I have no idea what their new spells are but she has one that drops a massive massive AoE, I just pull off her and we go to town on 10-20 mobs at a time.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I don't mind doing stuff as my warrior since I can actually convert the rage I don't need for defenses into more damage...but that's not possible for my prot paladin.

The answer? Don't. Go ret. I mean FFS, Holy has better dps output than Prot does.

I have not had that issue but I did read that you actually can use Holy Power as offense from Prot Spec. If you use Word of Glory on an opponent, it damages them. Honestly though, once we get 5 HP and the Procs Spec, the rotation gets pretty hectic anyway.

/Salute
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior

I have not had that issue but I did read that you actually can use Holy Power as offense from Prot Spec. If you use Word of Glory on an opponent, it damages them. Honestly though, once we get 5 HP and the Procs Spec, the rotation gets pretty hectic anyway.

/Salute

And what exactly did you think Shield of the Righteous was doing? Tickle fight? The point is, Protection paladins do NOT have a good HP dump for raw damage when they just don't need the added durability. None of their HP options are anything worth mentioning if you're not bloated with Vengeance.

Sure my paladin will kill things *eventually* but my warrior can kill far faster. In protection. Because I don't *have* to use my rage defensively and I can choose, at any moment all the time, when or if that shift needs to occur.

Paladins cannot. It's pure defense all the time. If you don't like it, if it's too slow...change to Ret, because Protection paladins aren't likely to get any better. I'm sure I'll enjoy doing the same damage solo at 90 that my warrior was doing at 86. It'll be *awesome*.
Edited by Feandel on 10/1/2012 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Do what we prot pallies have excelled at since TBC: AOE Grind =D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
None of their HP options are anything worth mentioning if you're not bloated with Vengeance.

Have you tried using Glyph of Alabaster Shield at all? With a bunch of mobs, HA/SW, it even ramps up between back to back ShoR's. It does exactly what it should do - ramp up a Holy Power move on pure damage that scales up with the number of monsters.
Edited by Slashlove on 10/1/2012 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
None of their HP options are anything worth mentioning if you're not bloated with Vengeance.

Have you tried using Glyph of Alabaster Shield at all? With a bunch of mobs, HA/SW, it even ramps up between back to back ShoR's. It does exactly what it should do - ramp up a Holy Power move on pure damage that scales up with the number of monsters.

It's one of the few major glyphs Prot even *has* at all. Of course I've got it. Prot's output is simply that stellarly pathetic. They don't have an "offensive" mode. It's pure defense. Their "optimal" defense rotation is their ONLY rotation.

_edit_

I'm not complaining that there's anything wrong with this. Solo prot is *stupidly* durable. The trade off is that their damage output is also suitably diminished. But if you don't need that durability (and you won't solo pretty much *ever*), bite the bullet and switch to ret. Do NOT bother trying to farm/grind as prot. It's just not worth it.
Edited by Feandel on 10/1/2012 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I agree that prot damage is low, even in ret gear, but it shouldn't take a minute to kill a single mob. On quests that don't allow for scooping up lots of mobs at once, I prefer going shockadin. Swapping to Ret just to quest seems silly, since I don't plan to raid as Ret (I'm MS Holy/OS Prot).

Demo, most raids/raid leaders like that combo, and a lot of healers have a decent DPS OS, so on 1-tank fights often I go heals and a healer goes DPS, or I just tank, depending on our setup. I plan to work more on my ret spec, but at the beginning of the xpac, I want to focus on my strengths. :)
Edited by Mistana on 10/1/2012 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
10/01/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Mistana
On quests that don't allow for scooping up lots of mobs at once

Those exist in pandaria?*

*I skipped all of jade forest
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yeah, sometimes the mobs have been decimated, and sometimes you're swarmed, sometimes on the same quest. I'm on a high-pop server, not sure how it compares to Proudmoore, but often I have to wait around for respawns. On others, there are tons of mobs, but they've already been tagged by hordies, so indiscriminate AoE is a bad idea. ;)
Edited by Mistana on 10/1/2012 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's one of the few major glyphs Prot even *has* at all. Of course I've got it. Prot's output is simply that stellarly pathetic. They don't have an "offensive" mode. It's pure defense. Their "optimal" defense rotation is their ONLY rotation.

No, it's not. Even on single target, there's a difference between maximum Holy Power generation and maximum dps. That's even more pronounced on AoE.

Yeah, sometimes the mobs have been decimated, and sometimes you're swarmed, sometimes on the same quest. I'm on a high-pop server, not sure how it compares to Proudmoore, but often I have to wait around for respawns

Kilrogg has a higher population than Tichondrius, and Proudmoore has more than Tich and Kilrogg combined (it's in like the top 3 for population Alliance side). Frankly, you're on the lowest population realm aside from one of the actually dead realms. If we're not having trouble getting mobs, you shouldn't be either.
Edited by Slashlove on 10/1/2012 6:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Tbh I might drop my prot/holy for holy/ret since all I do is dailies/solo/dungeons.

After I get to cap of course =P...after this...then my DK...then my monk. I need to hurry.

Also I don't know pallies too well, but am I the only one who can't decide between major glyphs because they all seem like garbage?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So, Slash, you've never picked up a quest, gone to it, and found a field of corpses with a couple of stray mobs that are already in combat? I have on this toon, my priest, and my druid over on Illidan. My shammy doesn't have that issue, but she's on a smaller server. I just got screenshots from 5 quests that are exactly that. I'll upload them tomorrow and you can show me where all the mobs I'm supposed to get vengeance from are. *sigh*

Objectively, Shockadin does more DPS on <4 target pulls than Prot (at least in my experience, with my gear). You are arguing that there should never be any pull with <4 targets. So far, I find it happening ~20-25% of the time. I'm not even complaining about it, I'm just suggesting that the OP try Shockadin if they don't want to go Ret for those specific situations.
Edited by Mistana on 10/1/2012 10:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]