Advice for doing dailies as prot

100 Human Paladin
Yeah, sometimes the mobs have been decimated, and sometimes you're swarmed, sometimes on the same quest. I'm on a high-pop server, not sure how it compares to Proudmoore, but often I have to wait around for respawns. On others, there are tons of mobs, but they've already been tagged by hordies, so indiscriminate AoE is a bad idea. ;)

It takes me about ~15-18 seconds to burn down a 345k-ish HP mob. Remember that Vengeance carries over when you dodge or parry, so as long as you make it to the next mob before the Vengeance timer runs out (realistically, you have about 15 seconds), you'll kill faster.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So, Slash, you've never picked up a quest, gone to it, and found a field of corpses with a couple of stray mobs that are already in combat?

Field of corpses respawns, mobs die. Delays there involve the fact that someone just killed a bunch of mobs and you have to wait 5-10 seconds for them to respawn, and that's going to be true even if you're Ret.

It takes me about ~15-18 seconds to burn down a 345k-ish HP mob. Remember that Vengeance carries over when you dodge or parry, so as long as you make it to the next mob before the Vengeance timer runs out (realistically, you have about 15 seconds), you'll kill faster.

Yep.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think I'm just gonna have to do dailies as ret and kick my healing spec to the curb. I don't have enough willpower/bag space to keep up with that many specs/sets of gear along with getting all my alts to 90 and geared.

... They fixed ret, right? So the rotation isn't filled with huge time gaps? I haven't played ret since I was level 15. :P
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
This pretty much the course I'm taking with my paladin when I get around to actively leveling him. The weeks leading up to Mists and his crash-course in Jade Forest pretty much cinched the deal because it was just so mind-numbingly bland. Having Prot's damage balanced around attacks that they share in common with Ret kinda sucks.

It was great that I was nigh unto invulerable but...I never actually *needed* that at any point (cept for Pheonix farming in The Eye). It would have been nice if Prot paladins had been given an *actual* HP dump that was just for damage. Even the old Inquisition would have been nice. Oh...yeah that's for Ret too. I mean, the only time I would have wanted that added durability was when I was farming old raids and dungeons for gold, and Blizzard did a damn fine job of making that a complete and utter waste of time.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
These dailies are much easier in tank spec than dps spec. Trust me. Mobs which seem to do trivial damage in tank spec will almost annihilate you in dps spec. I understand paladin tanks don't have the dps of dk tanks, but still taking a little while to kill mobs is less annoying than having to run back from the graveyard every five minutes.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
10/02/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Murdina
Mobs which seem to do trivial damage in tank spec will almost annihilate you in dps spec

wat
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Individually they don't hit that hard, but its very easily to accidentally pull a large number and if you're dps thats probably fatal. There's also some big boss-type mobs you have to kill for some dailies, and they do hit fairly hard and can be hectic in dps spec.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
10/02/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Ðemolition
Mobs which seem to do trivial damage in tank spec will almost annihilate you in dps spec

wat

After she said she was running back from the graveyard every 5 minutes, you should have realized she was bad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/02/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Murdina
Individually they don't hit that hard, but its very easily to accidentally pull a large number and if you're dps thats probably fatal. There's also some big boss-type mobs you have to kill for some dailies, and they do hit fairly hard and can be hectic in dps spec.

You know that the entire point of those "boss-type" mobs is to avoid damage and not be bad, right?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I was exaggerating a bit about dying every 5 minutes of course, but you know you don't get flying ghost form in mop so dying even once is annoying. Try ret spec and see if the dailies are much easier. I'm just suggesting it might not make them as easy as you think.

And the level 90 mobs you need to kill often come in packs and also have a fast respawn time. It is very easy to get a half dozen on you at once unless you are careful. There is a tradeoff since you kill things faster in dps spec, but at the same time you need to be more cautious.
Edited by Murdina on 10/2/2012 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
It's pretty much what I do, yeah.

The Mantid quests hit harder than, well, pretty much any other quest I've done, but even then it's just a matter of throwing up Seal of Insight before /facerolling.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Yeah or do the same thing as ret and *still* kill faster. Face it, prot-paladin non-vengeanced DPS is abysmal, and nothing is going to make that any less true.

You're right.

Personally I hate the "baww i refuse to go <Tank class' DPS spec> to quest and I want to solo just as fast as prot" people. I hate tanks without a DPS spec even more because of 1 tank fights in raids. But you can make it less bad if you insist on it.

It would be one thing if you could earn tanking gear while questing, but with the "smart" quest rewards now, you'd have to stop, take several seconds to switch from DPS spec to Tank spec, then turn in the quest, then change back.

Its a horrid system. More and more, the tank specs feel like they're being pushed into the "Dungeon and Raid" specs instead of being a legitimate way to enjoy the game. For example, if there are two Tank specs in a scenario, damage is basically non-existent unless someone coincides and gives up the way they want to play the game by going DPS. If they wanted to play a scenario as DPS, they would have qued as a DPS after all because spec has little bearing on how long it takes you to enter a scenario. Also, I fail to see how a tank spec can remain competitive in PvP with the current damage output they possess. Its a proven myth that tank specs bring no more utility into PvP than their DPS counterparts and having all that health and armor does you little good if you have no way to penalize enemies for not attacking you in 3s and 5s.

There are basically 34 viable specs in the game for dungeons and raids and 29 for all other aspects of the game. This is not acceptable.
Edited by Rhozul on 10/2/2012 8:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
10/02/2012 05:42 PMPosted by Rijdot
The Mantid quests hit harder than, well, pretty much any other quest I've done, but even then it's just a matter of throwing up Seal of Insight before /facerolling.

Thats why you take the cleave + the death save enhancements.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
You have no hit or expertise, and those are your most important tanking stats.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/02/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Slashlove
Field of corpses respawns, mobs die. Delays there involve the fact that someone just killed a bunch of mobs and you have to wait 5-10 seconds for them to respawn, and that's going to be true even if you're Ret.

They don't all respawn at once, and people kill them off about as quickly as they respawn, for areas that are heavily camped. So, that means I have to single-target DPS (or at most have 2 or 3 at a time), which means that it is more efficient to DPS as Holy than as Prot. I assume it would also be more efficient to go Ret than Prot in that situation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]