2H or DW for Frost DPS?

90 Human Death Knight
Im not really sure what is better, For the release of MoP i went blood because it made the most sense but i want to go DPS again, i've pulled high numbers with 2H, but i remember in Firelands it was about DW. Opinions?
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
DW is better aoe/cleave (masterfrost).
2H is better single target (hastefrost).

They're both very close however. So play what you want.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
i like 2h haste frost because it feels like you do more damage. its probably because i like to see big numbers
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
to play DW you must play masterfrost to be ahead. 2h frost is very strong this expansion and with some good RNG you can take down regular mobs in literally 2 seconds. do you like 100k+ crits? 2h frost.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/01/2012 07:58 PMPosted by Frostedsteel
i like 2h haste frost because it feels like you do more damage. its probably because i like to see big numbers

Also as said before Dw is sick for Aoes packs but 2h pulls ahead on bosses. I prefer to slam bosses :D
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm addicted to six figure oblits :(
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
10/02/2012 06:17 AMPosted by Ghatok

just got a 102k crit Oblit main hand 42k crit off hand

COME AT ME BRO!

cant wait for later teir's where we get enough mastery to push FS over OB for DW
but for now HB-HB-OB-OB it is.

to note 239k OB's using 2hnd are damn mean.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I guess im gonna go 2H until I get 2 1handers, but thanks for the opinions. <3
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
10/02/2012 06:17 AMPosted by Ghatok

my name is juicedkermit and i am an addict.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
My obliterate crits are too good at the moment to even consider DW. Just did a couple bosses in vaults and 2H frost has been looking nice on the charts
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
just got a 102k crit Oblit main hand 42k crit off hand

COME AT ME BRO!

cant wait for later teir's where we get enough mastery to push FS over OB for DW
but for now HB-HB-OB-OB it is.

to note 239k OB's using 2hnd are damn mean.

Log of this please.
239k oblit in your gear?
Is that with heroism and all trinkets and procs?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I've gottten close to that too. But it has to be perfect (in other words: Over 50k ap):

Trinket procs plus
Trinket used plus
Racial used plus
RotFC procced

Along with perfect 5 man buffs. It's darn rare, but it sometimes happens.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
DW is better for frost dps because we haven't had too many fights where its just 1 boss with no adds.

2H frost is only good for single target, which DW also not that far behind at all (only by few percentages). DW will outperform 2H pretty hard on all encounters with any sorts of aoe or more than 1 target phase. 2H only shines on encounters where you get to special dps buffs or unlimited runes

So DW performs just about the same as 2H on single target, but blast it away when there's any aoe pack. I think the answer should be quite obvious

proof please. I do fine on aoe; I've easily broken 200k depending on pack size.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
2H Haste frost, for single target :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

proof please. I do fine on aoe; I've easily broken 200k depending on pack size.

As DW mastery became one of your main stats which translates to harder hitting howling blast, while mastery is almost worthless for 2H frost. You also get Rune of Razorice with DW to further increase your howling blast

Your main source of dmg as 2H is obliterate. you won't even be using a single rune for howling blast as 2H compare to dualwield, where it is part of their rotation given certain scenarios. In both small pack and large pack cleaves DW will pull ahead, while not lagging behind at all for a pure single target fight (like those exists anymore)

telling me how much you did in aoe pack is meaningless, its all relative. I did 3500k yesterday as blood in heroics

From ElitistJerks

Q: Which is stronger: Dual Wield or 2-Hand Frost?
A: Both are surprising close on the meters in single target scenarios and viability with 2H currently simming about 1-2% ahead. Dual wield tends to excel at cleave scenarios and AoE. 2-Hand tends to excel at burst damage due to its extremely strong Obliterates.

For single target patchwerk you can see dmg from simcraft

You're posting theory. Show me facts. The bottom line is you exaggerated, by a lot. 2h frost is hardly useless on aoe. You're right - numbers are meaningless. Let's put it into context: I easily do 40-45% of the party's dps in 5 mans (read: aoe fests) all the time. Numbers don't matter; %'s do. Is it as good as dw? No. Is it useless? Hardly. Does this mean dw frost beats out 2h all the time on everything cause some fights on adds? Please.

Edit: and never use HB? Really? Have you played 2h frost? You realize that you only use oblit on aoe packs when you have 2 uh runes up right?

Here's a fun test: You can add me as a battle-tag friend, and we'll q for a heroic together. Show me you can beat me in aoe by miles and I'll eat my words.
Edited by Ghatok on 10/3/2012 10:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
What you're saying now is more inline with reality than:

2H frost is only good for single target

So DW performs just about the same as 2H on single target, but blast it away when there's any aoe pack. I think the answer should be quite obvious

You made it sound as if 2h frost was useless, which is far from true.

And I love sims; I use sims. But they aren't 100% accurate. I perform above what I sim at (which should be impossible). A sim is only as good as the data, which I'll concede, isn't really there yet.
Edited by Ghatok on 10/4/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]