Taran Zhu BOSS. WTF.

90 Undead Warrior
Pretty sure he dies quicker if you ignore the orbs. When you get ported just run out of the fire. Makes the fight much quicker. Of Course if people in your group can't get out of fire it's better to kill the Orbs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I got the achievement where you kill him while your hated is capped out. With a pug...

Boss is cake. It's a l2p issue.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
people wipe on this how....
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I really wish there weren't so many sarcastic responses or "this boss is a joke" posts. The OP was showing frustration because they spent an hour on a normal raid boss (I am assuming it was normal because the OP is level 89) and did not complete it.

You can destroy the orbs as melee, but the melee will need to either pop a defensive CD or the healer will have to be aware that they are about to take additional damage. Regardless of who kills the orbs, they do have to die to make this fight beatable. Also, once you get close to full hatred, you need to click the special action button on your screen to drain it back down to 0% so that you do not get the hit and healing debuff.

People with assumptions such as "the melee don't want their meters to go down" or "the shadow priest is bad and can't switch targets" is not helpful. Just explain a strat in your post and move on. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Well, I am frustrated as well. I still consider myself to be new to this game as Ive only had it a couple months. Only because I played PSU before this. I am still learning mechanics, spell rotation, the proper way to equip my guy, dungeon layouts,ect... For people that have been playing it for years these things are all second hand knowledge. I'd like to think I picked up on much of this stuff from researching online thru the 100+ sites. In the beginning I felt like everyone was in a race to the finish line to complete a quest. I could never complete in dungeon quests cause people wouldnt even take you through them all. Clysm and pandaria are laid out differently so that youre not always retracing to complete quests.

That all said this level was kicking our butts and I hit the button and it did nothing. We were taking out orbs first per the Tanks instructions but the damage taken had the healer overwhelmed and as a mage Im at the healers mercy. The tanks kept quitting cause they knw they can just jump in another party immediately. Left a bad taste in my mouth as we didnt finish.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
People with assumptions such as "the melee don't want their meters to go down" or "the shadow priest is bad and can't switch targets" is not helpful. Just explain a strat in your post and move on. Thanks.

The shadowpriest is bad, if the orbs are not dying.

It's not some "assumption" it's a fairly reasoned explanation based on what the OP was saying.
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Noyouscream
So I just spend the last hour wasting my night on this boss.

One whole hour?
That's so sad.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/02/2012 06:09 AMPosted by Nofan
Am I the only one here thinking the trash (Not saying the boss is hard, so don't misconstrue my post here, because I think he's ridiculously easy--if not a complete joke) before Taran Zhu is harder than the actual final dungeon boss himself?

/agree

the trash is the most annoying thing in this instance
the final boss is a simple hit the button, target adds(orbs)

IMO the most annoying thing in this instance is that it takes forever to complete. Even moving at a pretty decent pace it's like oh man we must be near the last boss, we just have to kill all these stupid panda novices. NOPE, you're only like 50% through. I hate that instance with a passion, but it has nothing to do with difficult bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
IMO the most annoying thing in this instance is that it takes forever to complete. Even moving at a pretty decent pace it's like oh man we must be near the last boss, we just have to kill all these stupid panda novices. NOPE, you're only like 50% through. I hate that instance with a passion, but it has nothing to do with difficult bosses.

You're making it longer on yourself. First boss is 1-2 pulls. Second boss is 1-2 pulls, and thne a small event. 3rd boss is 3 pulls. 4th boss is 4 pulls.

This isn't very long at all.
Edited by Slashlove on 10/3/2012 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
10/01/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Noyouscream
So I just spend the last hour wasting my night on this boss. We had a DK tank, Enhance Shaman, Rogue and a Shadow Priest and me healing it as a Druid. Can someone PLEASE explain what we should be doing to complete this dungeon? It's really getting on my nerves. From my understanding, the boss spawns orbs that will pull you in ever 10 seconds or so. If there are more than one orb up, it will create a chain effect and it will pull you from orb to orb 3 or even more times. I have been trying to look on youtube to view strategies for this boss. People say to kill the orbs, however, we have 1 Shadow Priest in our group which is the only range dps. She certainly can't kill the orbs on her own. What if it's a pure melee group? That leaves everyone screwed when they get to this boss... In my view this is pathetic and at this point I am ready to give up on blizz and this game all together. Anyone want to give me some insight on how to properly kill this boss? Is there even a way to do this boss with 1 range? If you can't then that's complete BS.

This fight is not friendly to melee as compared to casters, yet again! It's going to be more difficult with melee dps. As such those players either need to be really good with their self healing/survivability and get in there and melee. I use a few ranged attacks and run in to get off a few melee hits and then run out or use a cooldown.
Edited by Sarvan on 10/3/2012 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
The amount of trash you can skip is nice, while leveling, we pulled it all, but at 90, I can get through the place in 15 minutes as the tank

Edit. So in ironic fashion, (Alannis Morisette) I joined into a group of 3 melee that had been wiping on Taran (well, I was the 3rd melee),

So I volunteered to do all the work. I was able to kill them so that only 1 grip happened the entire encounter, using only moderate survival cooldowns (It takes me 2 gcds to clear an essence)
Edited by Postonforums on 10/3/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Meh, the real killing on that fight is the orbiting shadow bolts. The healing needed for that fight completely depends on that, if you kill orbs and avoiding the orbiting shadow bolts the boss is cake. however you can still heal though it if people decide to be bad.

Also I fear the trash more than the boss, think I have died to that crap more than anything else in the heroics
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Speaking as a shadow priest, this fight is slightly obnoxious at low gear levels due to our lack of burst DPS. For the shadow priest: when the orbs are not up, you should be only DoTing the boss. Do not use any CDs (Mindbender, Mind Blast, Halo, DP) until the orbs spawn, then multidot them and pop CDs. Even if you can't get them all down, taking out 2 of them should minimize raid damage.

Also, I wiped a few times the first time I did it because I didn't get Meditate right. Ranged should be using it right after taking down the 3rd orb. Make sure you won't be hit by the black ring before you use it, and don't spam the button or you will be stuck sitting longer and not lose the rage.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
the healer will have to be aware that they are about to take additional damage. .

The game is so demanding these days..
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Well, I am frustrated as well. I still consider myself to be new to this game as Ive only had it a couple months. Only because I played PSU before this. I am still learning mechanics, spell rotation, the proper way to equip my guy, dungeon layouts,ect... For people that have been playing it for years these things are all second hand knowledge. I'd like to think I picked up on much of this stuff from researching online thru the 100+ sites. In the beginning I felt like everyone was in a race to the finish line to complete a quest. I could never complete in dungeon quests cause people wouldnt even take you through them all. Clysm and pandaria are laid out differently so that youre not always retracing to complete quests.

That all said this level was kicking our butts and I hit the button and it did nothing. We were taking out orbs first per the Tanks instructions but the damage taken had the healer overwhelmed and as a mage Im at the healers mercy. The tanks kept quitting cause they knw they can just jump in another party immediately. Left a bad taste in my mouth as we didnt finish.

I would suggest getting deadly boss mods then:). Everyone should have this addon and it does indeed tell you to switch targets when the orbs pop up. In case you don't know how to properly download an addon, go to curse.com pick World of Warcraft and/or enter Deadly Boss mods in the search function. Choose the download button. Then click on the download box on your screen and choose extract all. Then go and find wherever you put World of Warcraft on your computer, click on that, then click on Interface and finally Addons. That is where you save it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
this is the "we hate melee" instance of the expansion.

void zones that do damage with stuff in the middle that needs to die

several exploding adds that do aoe damage

not hard, but yeah. I helped kill orbs, not a big deal cause I can heal myself if need be :|

No, the "we hate melee" instance is Siege of Niuzao. I have horrible uptime on nearly every boss because of stupid mechanics.

In other news, you had a DK tank. Use Control Undead on the caster trash right before the boss. The thing does crazy dps and is ranged, it can help kill the orbs if you tell it to.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
If you gave me the option of fighting taran zhu twice or all the trash before him once, I'd choose taran zhu twice. The trash is TERRIBLE.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
stacked up is even better, I can take out 2 orbs in not time if they're close.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If you think that dungeon is tough, that means you're a complete idiot with no analytical capacity and need to gtfo this world.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]