How could the mogu be the true rulers?

55 Draenei Death Knight
When the name of the land is PANDARIA? Why not Mogulia or something, clearly if you acknowledge the name of the land by what your enemies calls it wouldn't it make it their land?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
It was renamed Pandaria after the Pandaren took over, not before, before it was a part of a larger contident called Kalimdor, before the Sundering split Pandaria off.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Well the name of the Orc home world is Draenor.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/01/2012 10:10 PMPosted by Scrispy

No, it was named by the Draeni and the Orcs didn't really care.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

No, it was named by the Draeni and the Orcs didn't really care.

Which was my point. The Orcs just went with the name. Saurfang even named his son Draenosh.
Edited by Scrispy on 10/1/2012 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
probably interpretation. if you name a planet Bob, after yourself, I might refer to the planet Bob so i make sure you know what i am talking about. that doesn't actually mean i think it's Bobs planet.

Like the Native Americans learning english. they might refer to America without acknowleging that it was the Europeans land.
Edited by Jacksprat on 10/1/2012 10:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As far as the timelines go... the Mogu Empire dates back a good while before Pandaria was seperated from the rest of Kalimdor. The Pandarian rebellions occurred supposedly around the same time the kaldorei were rebelling from the Zandalari, which we know had to have happened a good long while before the whole War of the Ancients
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
As I understand it Pandaria didn't really exist as a continent till after the Sundering and by that time Im pretty sure the panderan controlled it.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Death Knight
Why do they call it America? I mean, they should have called it Siouxerica or Seminolia or Mayanica or something, right?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The mogu and whoever else had their own name for the region, I'm just not sure what it is.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
10/02/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Abal
Why do they call it America? I mean, they should have called it Siouxerica or Seminolia or Mayanica or something, right?

Because we conqueor the land and renamed it. If the Mogu already ruled Panderia it should be called something else not Panderia like the Zandalari troll acknowledges it as, even the Mogu call it panderia which wouldn't be right.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/02/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Crappytank
Because we conqueor the land and renamed it. If the Mogu already ruled Panderia it should be called something else not Panderia like the Zandalari troll acknowledges it as, even the Mogu call it panderia which wouldn't be right.

Because we conqueor the land and renamed it.

Pandaria.

Pandas conquered Mogu.

Pandaria.

Native Americans and Maya and the like refer to this country as the Americas as well.

I call Colombia, my birth country, Colombia, not by it's indigenous name (I am part Maya).
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman

The Pandaren didn't take over?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
10/02/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Kellick

The Pandaren didn't take over?

They had a few emperors so one of them probably renamed the land Pandaria because the old Mogu name was lame or something.

Or, probably, the mogu changed the name every time they usurped the previous ruler, and after they were overthrown everyone just said 'to heck with it let's name it after the race that started/led the other races in the rebellion"
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
The Mogu are really, really, really old. Their Empire probably existed long before even the Ancient Night Elven Empire, since that was when the last Panderan emperor existed.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/02/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Vadâr
Their Empire probably existed long before even the Ancient Night Elven Empire, since that was when the last Panderan emperor existed.

Again, this is fact >_> The Mogu were guardians of whatever Titan secrets are in Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/02/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Baalsamael
Their Empire probably existed long before even the Ancient Night Elven Empire, since that was when the last Panderan emperor existed.

Again, this is fact >_> The Mogu were guardians of whatever Titan secrets are in Pandaria.

Sorry if my wording upsets you :)

But yes that is fact, they are made of stone after all.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
10/02/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Abal

because they use it as a word for their own word. Where the word "America" came from makes no diffrence to them. As far as they are concerned it is the same idea. (Obviously not seperated the way out political borders eventually did it).

-Aleut's had a word meaning “great land” or “that which the sea breaks against"

-One county is caled “Leehaw-hanna.” The first part of the word, “Leehaw,” refers to a point of intersection, or a fork. The second part, “hanna,” signifies a stream of water and is found in other familiar place names such as Susquehanna, Tobyhanna, and Tunkhanna, or unkhannock.Lackawanna, then, indicates a place where waters intersect"

-Anowarakowa or loosely translated Turtle Island

So a native english speaker would refrence "Great land" when speaking Aluet. Similar idea, diffrent word for a diffrent language.
Edited by Jacksprat on 10/2/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Any idea what the mogu name for the area would be? Mogu? Mogu'shan? Mogu Empire? Mogudishu?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/03/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Pumlaxer
Any idea what the mogu name for the area would be? Mogu? Mogu'shan? Mogu Empire? Mogudishu?

Quite frankly, I think it's called Uld-something. The Mogu are Titanic guardians, like the Iron Dwarves, the Mechagnomes, etc.

The Neferset call Uldum Uldum, and not Nefersandia or something.

So it stands to reason.
Edited by Baalsamael on 10/3/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]