Monks in PvP

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have been looking through all the threads out there and I have not seen anyone either pumping or dumping monks as a viable class in RBGs or arena teams. Anyone been rolling a PvP monk and have any comments they would like to share on it being fun, OP, or sucky?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
I'm only 88, so I don't know how endgame PVP/arena is going to pan out, but I am finding my Mistweaver Monk to be amazing in PVP.

I've mained a Disc Priest, Holy Pally, Resto Shaman and Resto Druid over the course of the last 8 years, and I can tell you that I am enjoying this class far more than I ever did the rest.

While I don't have a tremendous amount of CC, I have a TON of mobility, escape mechanisms and medium strength/medium-short cooldown defensive CD's.

In terms of raw healing, I can easily outdo any class out there, averaging 5-9 million healing per BG.

I'm finding the resource systems to be highly engaging (using mana abilities to build chi to use larger more powerful heals/abilities).
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
In my experience so far, I get the feeling that monks are going to take a bit to get the hang of. Unless you're a brewmaster, you have a sort of unreliable gap closer(you aren't able to cancel the roll, so if you overshoot it trying to get an interrupt or something you're still too far away etc) that functions as a pretty strong kiting skill. Would be put to better use if we had a ranged attack that wasn't also a "skill shot" as our only source of damage from long distances, but I feel as though it's fair because we're not really a long distance fighting class.

Haven't tested at 90, but my damage seemed a little low in comparison to other classes in BGs when I did some test PvP at 60. On the flipside, I can take an enormous beating. My survivability is ridiculous as a windwalker and I can whittle down any melee 1v1.

Overall I find it fairly fun, but I'm rather concerned that we may end up going the way of the Shaman; Strong heals in every instance of PvP, very strong melee 1v1 class, crap everything else.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Yeah i vsed one at 90 in a bg and the dmg wasn't that high but he was pretty tanky and had some decent heals i think he was a dps but im not that sure havent played one yet :P, they're abit of a mix class i dont see them doing too great in the future without a few buffs
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
yeah Average is the exact word i reckon they are, they haven't done much to pvp at all but then again people are still learning how to play them
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
ive been bging with one in 60-64. theyre like rogues: very strong 1v1, and very good at escaping, but low overall dmg. unlike rogues, they dont have strong burst. maybe that changes with scaling and mastery though.

im used to easily doing twice as much dmg as anyone else in most of my bgs, sometimes much more. on my monk ive only doubled everyone else's damage once so far. i usually only come out around 25-40% ahead, if im really trying. and thats with a bunch of socketed items and some cardinal gems, so im practically twinked.

the survivability is very good though. and with healing sphere, you can put out significant heals on teammates. control is also very good. im able to almost 100-0 people in a stunlock sometimes. and your interrupt/silence is awesome because you can chain it with stuns to get a really long lockdown on a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
been crushing in bgs. If you get a good combo you can lock out a healer pretty good. Bad !@# aoe damage as well for fighting around a flag.
Edited by Mistfallen on 10/2/2012 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The healers are ridiculous.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/02/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Grenade
The healers are ridiculous.

Not an issue unique to monks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
i doubt we'll be hearing any major complaining until mages get nerfed. they're the main QQ sponge atm, with good reason. maybe wars too.

im expecting some obligatory complaining about monks though, simply because they're new. people dont know their abilities very well, so they fail at countering them, which might make them seem stronger than they are. and everyone basically just wants every class except their own to suck. being the new guy on the block is a good reason to start lobbying against monks, so im sure the QQ wagon will get around eventually.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
i doubt we'll be hearing any major complaining until mages get nerfed. they're the main QQ sponge atm, with good reason. maybe wars too.

im expecting some obligatory complaining about monks though, simply because they're new. people dont know their abilities very well, so they fail at countering them, which might make them seem stronger than they are. and everyone basically just wants every class except their own to suck. being the new guy on the block is a good reason to start lobbying against monks, so im sure the QQ wagon will get around eventually.

Balance Druids are pretty insane as well...

Monk's are in a moderate sub par phase at the moment compared to the dmg warriors/ other melee in pvp. This could change cause of my level, but given what I've seen.

I love how we are compared to rogues cause people see energy/agility comparison if anything monks are a leather version of a pally. We are far from a water downed rogue, but cute statement.
Edited by Monkology on 10/2/2012 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So i'm in full pvp garb, with some crafted, some honor bought, and a nice blue weapon. Building conquest points for epics.

A few observations:

Monks have no burst damage. Our best burst is rising sun kick, but does half the burst damage(or less) that I see coming from warriors, DK's, Mages, etc...

Without burst damage it's impossible to survive in PvP, especially being a bit squishy in leather armor.

We do have talent spell to remove magic effects from ourselves, and possibly place them on the person that casted them. That would be great, except the only thing it seems to affect is mage spells, so no way to remove curses and lock dots.

If we need extra damage we can spec to summon a white tiger. But it's a LONG cooldown, does crappy damage compared to any pet, or summon in the game, doesn't last very long, and has absolutely no utility like the ghost wolves on my enhance shaman.

This is just me being honest here, but sustained DPS in party's raids, are where hunters were early vanilla. You can do well, if you know the class well, and manage resources and cooldowns, but you will never be top of the charts, unless someone in the other DPS classes, just blatantly never read the tooltips on their abilities and are button mashing.

PVP we suck. There is some good surviability in 1v1, but we all know that is rare in a BG. We lack killing power, and finishing power. Touch of death ( our stongest finisher) doesn't work or is miniscule with gear bonus to use it. Sustained DPS does not work in PVP. You need burst damage and quick killing power. That just doesn't exist in the monk. Sadly, for PVPers it's just not a viable choice. I've honestly been considering level my DK or shaman up to 90.

I'd also like to point out, yes the class is new. But a very experienced player would have no trouble adjusting. I know my abilities. I know what they can and cannot do. So the class being new is no excuse for being the worst pvp class. (DPS spec that is). Even after learning ways to counter others, and how to escape, it's just not enough. I put together full pvp DPS gear, and now I have the feeling I should have just stuck to PvE. It's sad really, because DK's came out of the box fairly strong. Needed some tweeks, but monks in pvp and maybe even pve, need a complete rework for end game raiding/pvp.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Seems to be more of a super-mobile combat rogue with less damage/better defenses (ww spec), but all I ever see are Mistweavers, which are incredibly annoying with the movement and heals and tools they have.

While I am uber-jealous of their 4 pc bonus (both mobility moves cancel root/snare), I think that very thing will restrict their damage. They are obviously intended to fly around the map pretty much unencumbered (faster than a druid!), which means logically they will be near the bottom for melee damage (think about feral druid mobility which also costs them power in balancing).

The key word as you can tell is mobility. It is why they will never do DK damage, for instance. Because a DK is a lumbering cannon of a melee toon. They are pretty good about balancing melee offense vs mobility.

Now if they would just get to work on those hybrids...

The mobility is actually pretty limited for DPS monk. You can easilty be trapped, stunned, feared, without any tools to remove any of them. There's some talent abilities, by they're limited and require alot of sacrifice. Really not worth it, so I can runa way faster. Might as well die, respawn, and die again...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
You really arent accurate with your mobility assessment mr warrior. Forget what it looks like on paper and try playing the class before giving us your expert opinion on the "top tier" mobility of monks in pvp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]