Prot: Holy Avenger vs. Sanctified Wrath

90 Blood Elf Paladin
On Noxxic and other sites I see the recommended talent point for this level is Holy Avenger for Prot.

I am wondering if Sanctified Wrath would be a viable talent point as well.

Holy Avenger lasts for 18 seconds and has a 2 min CD.
It vastly increases HP generation, which is very helpful.
This increases damage by allowing more frequent use of SotR, which increases threat.
Also using SotR increases mitigation and the self heal from WoG.
Or you can use this extra HP for more WoG for even more self healing.

Sanctified Wrath offers different benefits.
It makes Avenging Wrath last for 30 sec with a 3min CD. Duration increased by 10sec.
It will allow for some dmg increase and increased HP generation by letting you use Judgement more often, but not nearly as much as Holy Avenger.
It also will increase damage and self healing by increasing the duration of Avenging Wrath
Also Sanctified Wrath increases healing received by 20%. I see this as being the biggest benefit of this talent because it makes it a pretty good survival CD and the 30 second duration is pretty nice.
I am not sure if this stacks with the increase in 20% of healing done that Avenging Wrath has normally, but if it does it will increase your self healing abilities by 40% for 30sec! thats pretty nice.

Also there is the Glyph of Avenging Wrath.
In general I would say that this glyph is not worth using because there are other better ones out there.
But there may be some situations where it is viable.
And if you have Sanctified Wrath talent this glyph becomes better because of the duration increased.
It will now heal you for 15% of your health over the 30 second duration.
This is pretty underwhealing but would add to the strength of this talent and ability.

So.
What are all you Prot pallies opinions out there?
Is Sanctified Wrath viable talent? or is Holy Avenger the way to go?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I go with holy avenger, why? 21 seconds of 54% physical damage reduction vs 20% more healing taken and halved cooldown on judgment. I might go SW if I'm on a boss that deals solely magical damage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I got with Divine Purpose for general tanking needs.

I'll use Holy Avenger if I have a specific boss fight that I need a specific extra cooldown for.

Remember that Divine Purpose procs can chain, and not only are you (RNG) increasing your active mitigation, but you're also increasing the rate you stack Bastion of Glory.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I got with Divine Purpose for general tanking needs.

I'll use Holy Avenger if I have a specific boss fight that I need a specific extra cooldown for.

Remember that Divine Purpose procs can chain, and not only are you (RNG) increasing your active mitigation, but you're also increasing the rate you stack Bastion of Glory.

I also chose Divine Purpose. It may be RNG based rather than a CD to use in tight situations but overall it seems to be effectively giving me more extra holy power than the other two.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
They are all awesome. But the way i think about it is like with trinkets.

What would you prefer a clicky thats there when you need it? Or a proc that is awesome?

Im a clicky person so my choice is Holy Avenger.

Also its worth noting:

DPS

SW>HA>=DP

Holy Power Gen

DP>HA>SW

In a way HA is the best of both worlds. A tank dps cd and a survival cd AND its controllable. Thats just too good to pass up imho.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
HA, more damage and can build up a big wog fast as well as maintain the SotR buff for a long time. Damage reduction is better than increased healing taken.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]