What's with this contradiction Blizzard?

90 Night Elf Warrior

This quote from Pardo makes absolutely no sense based on what we know. He either could have phrased things more elegantly, or he's out of touch with what we've been told by the other devs and he's trying to play his hand close to his chest.

The thing is, Blizzard has only given us these updates through forum posts and on third party internet interviews. There has not been a single offical announcment at all. so perhaps Pardo is not aware of what has been shared with the community.

It would be really nice if the mods would actually adress this odd contradiction.

That makes sense actually.

But didn't BLIZZ themselves say the earliest we can expect them is mid MOP?

I'm glad to see that other people caught this though, I think that we need to know.

I've been pretty frustrated since Pardo said this myself, and it actually just came to me as I was in the middle of writing that post that this is probably why the contradiction is so stark.

And yes, they did imply back at Blizzcon early in this news's life time that the earliest they would be released is mid MOP. But that was almost a year ago, and things change a lot based on what projects they decide to scrap and do over. And they did not really say that. They implied it could be a longer time than that easily, and that they weren't sure yet how they would handle them.

I've thought all along it's coming with the next expansion, but Pardo's words just troubled me a lot when he left room for the fact they may not even do it. His mention of system requirments also confused me, as the models have been a lot better since TBC and especially WOTLK, and the game runs fine. People aren't asking for Crysis here, we're asking that updated models look as good as WOW's good models.

That should not change system requirements at all. If I can stand in the Worgen starting zone surrounded by 20 worgen players, I would think I could stand in the SW auction house surrounded by player models of all the races on par with Worgen and Pandaren.

*Unless the pandaren goblins and worgen are so advanced they stretch WOW to the very seams and one more race will pop those seams,...
Edited by Elrith on 9/28/2012 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/28/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Elrith
I tend to think these people are younger, as a year feels like it takes a long time when you're a teenager. When you get into your 20s, you can, uh,... forget about a pair of shoes under your bed for a year because it feels like a few months. Or something.

That happened because I was able to afford more shoes once I got a full time job, and thus didn't need the same pair every day. No new models would be a disappointment, even I'm looking a bit haggard next to Pandaren at this point. I could imagine that if they intend to end WoW at 100 level cap, they don't see it as urgent, but I don't pretend to know their plans.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
09/28/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Lopsydaisy
I tend to think these people are younger, as a year feels like it takes a long time when you're a teenager. When you get into your 20s, you can, uh,... forget about a pair of shoes under your bed for a year because it feels like a few months. Or something.

That happened because I was able to afford more shoes once I got a full time job, and thus didn't need the same pair every day. No new models would be a disappointment, even I'm looking a bit haggard next to Pandaren at this point. I could imagine that if they intend to end WoW at 100 level cap, they don't see it as urgent, but I don't pretend to know their plans.

They are more likely to end it when it stops being profitable, rather than when an arbitrary number is hit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

And yes, they did imply back at Blizzcon early in this news's life time that the earliest they would be released is mid MOP. But that was almost a year ago, and things change a lot based on what projects they decide to scrap and do over. And they did not really say that. They implied it could be a longer time than that easily, and that they weren't sure yet how they would handle them.

There was actually an interview not that long ago that stated that they would consider rolling them out Mid-mop. I don't care if they come out then, but I do care about this confusion though. I don't want to be lied to.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
09/28/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Lopsydaisy

I am a visual person, and I am an absolute freak about WOW's graphics. I fell in absolute love with WOW because of the graphics in 2004, for their artistic merit. I cannot begin to describe how much pleasure WOW gave me visually. But seeing the new models in TBC, as they say, was a slap in the face to me. And not in the way people use "slap in the face". It was a slap in the face of pure awesomeness that knocked my socks off.

I have thought about new player models literally every hour I play this game, increasingly more and more since 2006. After WOTLK, it started to hurt. After CATA, it's a deep throbbing yearning in my heart.

I cannot play WOW without constatly thinking about this. It's great when i somehow forget about it, but it usually takes me playing a new race to do it.

This is the number one thing I've always wanted in WOW, and it's pretty much the number one thing I've wanted in life the last few years lol.

I would do just about anything in my power to see this happen. But now that we've actually gotten more than "maybe someday" in the last year, I am okay with waiting. As much as it hurts, as much as I squirm at night thinking about this issue, I know it's finally coming.

Until,... PARDO !!!!

Pardo must be stopped! I say we grab our torches and meet up in Irvine,... but then again, I really like Pardo's work. Hm.

Anyways, if I can wait, other people can wait.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/28/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Simplyred
They are more likely to end it when it stops being profitable, rather than when an arbitrary number is hit.

Not that the game will end, but level cap will stop increasing...and that's at least 4 years away anyhow. If they did intend to stop level cap, I could see waiting until that point to do new models, as a selling point. I mean, even 100 levels would seem a bit daunting to a new player. Imagine how "Hey, grats on level 20, only 115 levels to go!", would sound to someone just starting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/28/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Lopsydaisy

Not that the game will end, but level cap will stop increasing...and that's at least 4 years away anyhow. If they did intend to stop level cap, I could see waiting until that point to do new models, as a selling point. I mean, even 100 levels would seem a bit daunting to a new player. Imagine how "Hey, grats on level 20, only 115 levels to go!", would sound to someone just starting.

I think that stopping the leveling process isn't a bad idea. Just make everything gear based. It kind of already is.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage

Then use the method that EQ2 has in place.

A check box for each race and gender.
Check mark in the box = You see the Old Model for that race/gender.
No Check mark in the box = You see the New (better) Model.

You're so old school..:)

The new and hip method is to call it a feature and put the new models in the store for a special low package price of $25.00.
Reply Quote
09/28/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Aris
The new and hip method is to call it a feature and put the new models in the store for a special low package price of $25.00.

I know you're being sarcastic but please don't give them any ideas like this lol
Reply Quote
Community Manager
09/28/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Agnorr
So what's with the change in priority?

Tom and Rob are both correct, and combined, pretty much sum up the thinking that's ongoing within the World of Warcraft development team. Are having new character models a high priority for the team? Yes! We have discussed this with the developers numerous times and they are definitely excited about making this happen.

Keep in mind the rhetorical questions that Rob stated with his response. A high-priority task such as this demands a lot of resources. With the work that was needed for Mists of Pandaria and is needed for the upcoming content patches, character designers have to prioritize their work. Thus, we REALLY (yes, honestly, truly, really) want to get this done, but it's something that will require a lot of time and people to do.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

Actually I think there is a reason they are not, I just can't come up with a theory. It could be they're waiting for a weekly meeting to address it for all I know. I'm not intended to claim they are just ignoring us blatantly. But this information did not come out on the weekend, it's now 2 days old.

And how you get impatience from my post is confusing considering I am telling people to basically be patient.

Or it could very well have something to do with the fact that this is a work in progress that isn't ready for discussion outside of developer meetings. As much as players want it they aren't entitled to hear anything about it.

You're not addressing the issue. Pardo's words are a contradiction. If you don't see it fine, but I'm talking about the contradiciton you don't see, not news on the models.

So if you were reprimanding me for what I actually said, you'll want to say:

"There is no contradiciton, so they don't have to say anything to you"

Now read better, son.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/28/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Crithto

Tom and Rob are both correct, and combined, pretty much sum up the thinking that's ongoing within the World of Warcraft development team. Are having new character models a high priority for the team? Yes! We have discussed this with the developers numerous times and they are definitely excited about making this happen.

Keep in mind the rhetorical questions that Rob stated with his response. A high-priority task such as this demands a lot of resources. With the work that was needed for Mists of Pandaria and is needed for the upcoming content patches, character designers have to prioritize their work. Thus, we REALLY (yes, honestly, truly, really) want to get this done, but it's something that will require a lot of time and people to do.

You are such an adorable puppy! Also, thanks for the response!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

*edit* First, thank you immensely for commenting on this, I appreciate it a lot.

However you really don't see a contradiction here with what we've been told by Zarhym, Greg Street, and Tom Chilton?

Pardo could have worded it better. Having dwarves almost finished and actively working on humans and orcs is a lot different than the tone Pardo expressed I think.

He made it sound like this is still the same answer we've been given for years since before Blizzcon. A "maybe someday, we're talking about",

Should I quote Zarhym's posts for you? They imply clearly this is now for sure happening. So something changed.
Edited by Elrith on 9/28/2012 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]