Diablo 3

88 Blood Elf Priest
Is Diablo 3 as bad as people say it is? Does Diablo 3 still use a real world currency auction house?
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Yes and Yes.

The biggest problem with the game is that 99% of drops are absolutely useless crap.

You end up farming gold in order to buy gear from the AH. It's not that much fun really...unless you've got friends to farm with.

They can add as much "end game" content as they want. It's not gonna fix the design flaws in classes and the loot system.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
No and yes.

The game is fun. Just don't expect it to be a lifestyle like D2.

Classes have some issues, but this is nothing new and it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be--just like the whining in D1 and D2. I have no real issues with the AH. It beats the hell out of trading SoJs for stuff.

The only thing I really miss from D2 is the synergy between unique gear and the talent trees. D3 falls way short there. It's really more like a supercharged version of D1.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
Yes and Yes.

The biggest problem with the game is that 99% of drops are absolutely useless crap.

You end up farming gold in order to buy gear from the AH. It's not that much fun really...unless you've got friends to farm with.

This.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

This.

Not.

Opinions are going to vary. The only way you'll really know is to try it out. No one here really knows what you like or what you're looking for in your gaming.

D3 itself was fine, but it didn't really move the ARPG genre forward. It's more like D1 than anything else. I don't really have a problem with that (I liked the first game a LOT), but on the other hand it doesn't have the depth or variety of possibilities seen in D2.

Make of that what you will.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
09/29/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Rashadril
D3 itself was fine, but it didn't really move the ARPG genre forward

The only thing D3 had going for it was the brand name. It was a forgettable game made by people who didn't seem to grasp why the previous game was so successful and they tried to shoehorn in their experience as WOW devs to make up for it giving us enrage timers and the like. Without the Diablo brand no one would remember it at this point.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
For me Diablo 3 is a compelling game with excellent combat, interesting classes and skills, smooth gameplay, and superb art and graphics. Even the story is pretty decent in a graphic novel/comic book kind of way, despite complaints to the contrary.

My only issue with it is the drop rates, which was addressed in patch 1.04 and is being further addressed in patch 1.05. Blizz is also adding additional content in the next patch. The devs are working hard to make what's a good game into a great one, including PvP which is slated to happen in patch 1.10.

As Rashadril stated, opinions vary, so the best way to find out for yourself is to try the starter edition. It's free and should give you a very good feel of the game and whether you'd like it or not.

P.S. Whatever you do, stay away from D3's forums. They've gotten better of late, but still are are not a good place for an impressionable gaming lad or lass.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
09/29/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Ryaskybird
including PvP which is slated to happen in patch 1.10.

That just makes me laugh.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
09/29/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Corrock
including PvP which is slated to happen in patch 1.10.

That just makes me laugh.

That's good. We can all use a good laugh now and then.
Reply Quote
28 Undead Warlock
09/29/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Ryaskybird
We can all use a good laugh now and then.

We can all us a good laugh. So much negativity in the gaming community...

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a409078/bioware-founders-left-due-to-negative-fans.html

but really in most communities, not just Internet communities.... everyone should take a deep breath and enjoy the ride.

D3 is Fantastic and so is Torchlight 2. Path of exile I've heard is great. And if none of these are your particular jam DIABLO 2 is only 10 bucks on battle.net
Edited by Darqniss on 9/29/2012 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I don't buy into the Drs. Ray leaving Bioware (EA really) over ungrateful fans. They've been considering retirement for some time--that rumor has been around for at least a year.

I'm not going to get into pointless debate over D3. It is what it is. You like it or you don't. You can say that about most ARPGs--Diablo, Sacred, now Torchlight. All these have been fun games, but also all with issues.

Torchlight 2 does look good on the surface. I've had friends check out the demo and they say it's a good deal more compelling than the first one (which really isn't saying much). I'm tempted, but simply don't have time with MoP, Borderlands 2, ME3 MP, and with XCOM, Dishonored (holy cats!), and Halo 4 on the horizon.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
If you enjoy hearing the words "fallen star" spoken into your ear over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over a-ha-hand oveeerrrrr, D3 is perfect for you.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
09/29/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Padgagers
If you enjoy hearing the words "fallen star" spoken into your ear over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over a-ha-hand oveeerrrrr, D3 is perfect for you.

It wasn't that much. It's only relevant in the first half of the first act.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
09/29/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Positron
RMAH isn't the reason it's bad.

The only difference between Diablo 3's RMAH and Diablo 2's RMAH is that Blizzard's making money off of it instead of E-Bay.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
D3 was enjoyable during the time I spent on it. I liked the plot and how you experienced it. However, there was no real desire to continue playing after having done that. Without any pvp or anything, I didn't have a desire to farm better gear, I tried to give it another shot when paragon levels came out, but quickly lost interest.
Edited by Kaiju on 9/30/2012 11:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
09/30/2012 11:02 PMPosted by Kaiju
However, there was no real desire to continue playing after having done that. Without any pvp or anything, I didn't have a desire to farm better gear, I tried to give it another shot when paragon levels came out, but quickly lost interest.

Pretty much.

There's nothing else to do but grind gear. That could be fine but they managed to screw that up too by making drops awful. D2's loot was better because every class used basically every stat. In D3, if it doesn't have your primary stat then it's useless. If a weapon doesn't have +damage or elemental damage then it's useless. They made it just like wow, get the weapon with the biggest numbers and stack your primary stat.

They released an unfinished game and now all they're doing is adding features that should have been there in the first place and things that were already in D2.

Paragon levels just emulate the lvl 99 grind from D2, they made legendaries more interesting like the ones in D2 and soon they're adding uber bosses like what was in D2. Oh and pvp of course which i can't believe STILL isn't in the game. I just don't see how they spent so long making a game that is so simple and has such little content.

My theory is they simply didn't know what they were doing or what they wanted to do with the game. This is proven by all the last minute changes and cuts that were made within the ~6 months before release. They just couldn't make up their minds.

They should have just made a true sequel instead of spending years trying to fix what wasn't broken and ending up with what was a huge disappointment for so many people.

09/30/2012 04:19 PMPosted by Callatham
The only difference between Diablo 3's RMAH and Diablo 2's RMAH is that Blizzard's making money off of it instead of E-Bay.

Except D2 wasn't designed with Ebay in mind, while D3 was designed with the AH in mind.
Edited by Tomac on 10/1/2012 6:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Personally I just couldn't get into D3 I got to level 20ish and logged off, I can't really put my finger on why I just don't enjoy the game.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
It was okay. I'm glad I got it free through WoW's annual pass because I certainly do not feel that it was worth $60.

If you're a D2 fan I'd advise you to stick with that and not risk your franchise nostalgia.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's not a terrible game, just highly disappointing for one that was in development for 10 years. Recent and upcoming patches are only now bringing it to where it should have been at release.

There still needs to be more to do at endgame, but they're making improvements (see first comment).

Once GW2 came out, I stopped playing altogether. Now that MoP is out as well, chances are slim and none that I'll log in during the foreseeable future, and Slim is out of town.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]