Black Market Auction House + heroic loot

100 Dwarf Death Knight
09/30/2012 09:53 PMPosted by Lawlipop
Just wait, if this continues, I forsee this becoming the COS (back in wrath) were everyone is riding a bronze drake and it becomes the lamest thing around...

It always was lame, It was originally a crap shoot on if Arthas bugged out or not, the 5-10 minutes taken out of his RP was what made it 99% chance of obtaining, not people improving
Reply Quote
1 Pandaren Monk
So many tears in this thread, delicious.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Rogue
09/29/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Jehoma
It kind of encourages players to buy gold for IRL money, don't you think?
No more then buying Heroic Lich King weapons, titles, and mounts...or Heroic Ragnaros weapons, titles, and mounts, OR Heroic Madness weapons, titles and mounts...

So being as it's not new and players have been buying raid gear since before I started playing I don't think there's anything game breaking here as far as the economy goes.

09/30/2012 03:19 AMPosted by Sensations
Competition is not only fun for many, but it's extremely healthy for the longevity of "games." Without competition humans would never be inclined to participate in games.
sounds like the BMAH just brought about a whole new type of competition for each server's 1%. Since only 1 person can win, I see these auctions becoming very competitive. So you make a good point in support of the BMAH.

09/30/2012 04:19 AMPosted by Melade
In many servers, guilds compete to be the first to down the boss, whether it is world first, or server first. Don't you think a person with that extra piece of heroic is going to have such an unfair advantage over the rest?
Nope...no more then winning epic heroic loot gives them an "unfair" advantage over the next 10 man guild who killed a heroic boss and only got shards to drop. So does it give the winner an advantage? Yep sure does. Is it unfair? Nope. Everyone on the server had a chance to roll on it. If you want your guild to have that 1 item edge, you need to do what it takes to win it.

Horrible Concept. I accept vanity items being sold on the BMAH, but Heroic Loot should never be sold on the BMAH
Exactly! Everyone knows that Heroic Loot should only be sold by other players! Where there's no restrictions or limits and everyone on the server with enough gold can simply buy full sets of Heroic Loot and mounts and titles.

09/30/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Zdrada
You can bet your !@# world first guilds will be watching the BMAH carefully in order to prepare for raiding.
Yep. This is what winners do.
Edited by Psynister on 10/1/2012 2:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/01/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Psynister
Nope...no more then winning epic heroic loot gives them an "unfair" advantage over the next 10 man guild who killed a heroic boss and only got shards to drop. So does it give the winner an advantage? Yep sure does. Is it unfair? Nope. Everyone on the server had a chance to roll on it. If you want your guild to have that 1 item edge, you need to do what it takes to win it.

re: raid epics, it technically isn't really fair. We're just used to it after 7 years.

I'm all for encouraging people to play, but this seems excessive (it's also relatively cheap).
Plus there are variations based on server, since one can get more/better loot.

Exactly! Everyone knows that Heroic Loot should only be sold by other players! Where there's no restrictions or limits and everyone on the server with enough gold can simply buy full sets of Heroic Loot and mounts and titles.

I'd rather that we didn't sell heroic loot at all. Until you can think of a way to prevent it though, it's going to happen.

That doesn't imply that BMAH is ok. By that logic we can just stick heroic gear on all vendors. why stop at 1-3 peices? lets just make it a whole set. or pay/RNG to win.

People doing it doesn't imply it's a good idea.
Edited by Arianity on 10/1/2012 7:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
No more then buying Heroic Lich King weapons, titles, and mounts...or Heroic Ragnaros weapons, titles, and mounts, OR Heroic Madness weapons, titles and mounts...

The difference... there was still a boss who had to be killed AND he still had to drop the item.

I will agree its not an unfair advantage and will admit my guild is buying up these pieces when the BiS ones are available. I do however think its stupid that gold should equal loot without any effort on anyone's part. Farming gold requires time or a bot and not skill. Loot should require a boss kill. If you are buying a peice of loot from a guild the guild still put the effort into getting the kill and is still able to 9/24 man it. Considering the majority of guilds (and the overwhelming majority of players) cannot even 10/25 man these bosses there is little argument against the fact that guilds selling items/mounts/titles are skilled players. I can live with the mounts and the vanity crap but selling gear that cannot even yet be obtained by traditional methods is a little bit absurd.

...the limit is that a guild has to be able to 9/24 man an encounter. Items are being sold before said encounters even exist without killing anything. That's a problem.

It is for sure what we are doing but that doesn't mean I agree its the best direction for the game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
We've had a 489 gun go for about 100k, a heroic int cloak go for about 120k - and a few PvP int items (ring, cloak) go for about 20k. Other than that, nothing of substance has been in there. People buying 100k heroic cloaks have to either be retarded or have millions.

My guild is fairly progression minded, but most of us aren't willing to spend any substantial sum of gold (i.e. more than 20k) on anything that's not a weapon or a trinket. I'd say we'd probably cap on weapons/trinkets around 50-60k too.

Outside of that, the only thing I'd be willing to put down serious money for is 1) battlemaster enchant formula, 2) healing power enchant formula, 3) swift spectral tiger (and that's really capped since I may just buy one of those anyway), 4) purple raptor, 5) swift zulian tiger, 6) al'ar.

Sure there are other mounts, I MIGHT thing about buying - but I really don't want a chicken, or rhino. There is a few proto drakes I don't have, but not sure if I really miss them (black, plagued, time-lost).
Edited by Firestyle on 10/1/2012 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
We've had a 489 gun go for about 100k, a heroic int cloak go for about 120k - and a few PvP int items (ring, cloak) go for about 20k. Other than that, nothing of substance has been in there. People buying 100k heroic cloaks have to either be retarded or have millions.

I would guess its mostly guilds buying them up. That's how we've been spending a portion of our surplus and we still have plenty of money to go around. The rest of the people dropping bank on them are likely botters.
Edited by Ninjablaze on 10/1/2012 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/01/2012 08:56 AMPosted by Ninjablaze

I would guess its mostly guilds buying them up. That's how we've been spending a portion of our surplus and we still have plenty of money to go around. The rest of the people dropping bank on them are likely botters.

Unlikely to be guilds on my server, there's really no other guild that does anything significant here. My guild has the two best ally raid groups, and the remaining ones of the top 6-7 are horde. We were the only raid selling mounts/titles and then in terms of funding, we're being pretty frugal outside of weapons/trinkets.

More likely, there's a lot of casuals that work the AH on my server. And, Duskwood is very inflated. Things cost typically 2-2.5 on Duskwood compared to what they cost on Illidan as an example.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
lol I was just hoping this game would have more challenges.
I know people like you like to buy your way to the top.
But I'm paying $15 a month and time spent to be challenged.... not to just get handed stuff and sit in org all day.
Yes, I can quit and take my business elsewhere, I was simply stating, blizz has a great game in their hands and they are burning it down fast.
The sales for Pandaria was absolute !@#$. I wonder why....
It is a great expansion as far as the questing, the beauty of the content, but there is no challenges.... except farming now to obtain stuff.
Reply Quote
So basically, you no longer need to raid, grind rep or do anything to get most any mount or gear in the game? Just get gold and be the highest bidder? The person who came up with this idea should be fired
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
10/01/2012 08:56 AMPosted by Ninjablaze

More than one person in my guild has over 600k. You seem to forget that it was very profitable for scribes when they made the change to have glyphs learned permanently. The price on glyphs went up and if you were savvy enough and could sit around the AH a bit, you could make a lot of money. I know because a few days ago, I asked a guy how the hell he had so much money, lol. In general, also, the scribes tend to have a lot of money, between fortune cards, darkmoon decks, and glyphs, they tend to have a lot of currency.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I don't know how normal it is, but back in DS, atleast 5 of our members had over 100k, atleast 2-3 had 500k+.

that's not even counting gbank.

If i was still playing, i'd definitely be dropping gold. After realm xfering, and only starting to make gold (extremely lazily) like 4+ months into DS, i'm sitting on 170k with only 2 toons. Keep in mind, you only have to shell out once a teir/expansion (depending if they update it).

If there wasn't a CD on realm xfers, i probably would've xfered to grab items off other servers.

I think Misery said he was going in with ~600k, that seemed extremely low to me, to be honest. I might be overestimating how good people are at making gold though.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
Most Bios I read on people that make gold they are very much bankers/stock brokers. They have mods running which skim the AH get prices of everything work out what has a high turnover/high profit then buy and resell everything.

These people often don't "play" the game.

In any case I think taking gold out of the economy is a good thing, player to player transactions just keep circulating currency which keeps devaluing gold. If enough people use the BMAH that repair costs get significantly lowered would it still be a bad thing?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
10/01/2012 11:04 PMPosted by Therealgor
These people often don't "play" the game.

Sure they do.

They just play it different from you or I.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
Sure they do.

They just play it different from you or I.

Exactly what I meant by the inverted commas....
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Phase
So basically, you no longer need to raid, grind rep or do anything to get most any mount or gear in the game? Just get gold and be the highest bidder? The person who came up with this idea should be fired
yes one player on a server can win one of these kind of items once in a while off the BMAH if they can afford it - why should someone be fired for that?
Edited by Zaxen on 10/1/2012 11:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
10/01/2012 11:47 PMPosted by Zaxen
yes one player on a server can win one of these kind of items once in a while off the BMAH if they can afford it - why should someone be fired for that?

It's been linked, but someone has half a set already

It's not just one or two pieces here, it's a huge effect on the Races for world/server firsts, as the gear isn't even available and people already outgear them.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
10/01/2012 11:47 PMPosted by Zaxen

You're severely underestimating the servers which have gotten multiple Heroic pieces in a row, since launch day, on the BMAH. On my server alone and that I personally know of, there's been Heroic Holy Pally gloves (the first item or second after launch,) some 509 boots, some Heroic chest piece, and a few other items I can't remember. And the raid's not even out for normal. That is beyond absurd, if you and/or others can't see that, then.....don't even know what to say.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
First off it's random what appears on the BMAH. If you're seeing lots of rare mounts and heroic loot consider your server incredibly lucky.

On our server for instance we have had awful loot appear over the past week. A few misc Naxx 40 pieces and mostly pets from old heroics. We had one BoE epic gun and the only considerably good piece being spirit mail bracers from heroic heart of fear.

Sure it sucks but the frequency of the items and randomness of it is completely unreliable to actually depend on it. A couple of your members if you're incredibly lucky with spawns and have zero competition might get a couple pieces of heroic gear.. I doubt that's going to tip the scales all that much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]