Blizz, what other options did you consider?

90 Worgen Mage
Hello Blizzard, I've always wanted to know about things that might have been but never came to be; for example I read in an interview that Pandas were considered for the Alliance race for The Burning Crusade xpac. What other races and classes have been discussed but never came to be? How many other races were considered for BC and Cata? Was Death Knights your first pick when it came to WotLK? clearly pandas had to be the race of choice when creating MoP, but what other themes/worlds where you considering before you settled on the panda/asian theme?

Just being curious :)
Reply Quote
Community Manager
If you can manage to find copies of the D&D "Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game" dungeon guides, I swear they read like a laundry list of things that have come true since release. They aren't canon, and I don't think anyone is literally going back and checking things off, but they contain a lot of un-materialized ideas for classes and playable races. It stands to reason those ideas are still swimming around somehow, somewhere.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
If you can manage to find copies of the D&D "Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game" dungeon guides, I swear they read like a laundry list of things that have come true since release. They aren't canon, and I don't think anyone is literally going back and checking things off, but they contain a lot of un-materialized ideas for classes and playable races. It stands to reason those ideas are still swimming around somehow, somewhere.

Like Thrall and Deathwing smoking a hookah together.

CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO ARGUS NEXT XPAC!
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Rogue

Warcraft...

...had a D&D game?

ohgodiwantthissobad
Reply Quote
Community Manager

NOT CANON
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock

NOT CANON

Which one?!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
10/01/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Alona

Their relationship has really gone down the drain...
Reply Quote
Community Manager

NOT CANON

Which one?!

duhn duh duuuuuuuuh!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

NOT CANON

The Forgotten Shadow was such a cool concept, I only wish it was represented in game in some form.
Also I like your Forsaken racials +2 Str and +2 Con? Hell yes.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Warrior
If I recall at Blizzcon, it was stated that some of the information in the World of Warcraft RPG books (I do have both versions :)) were canon but not all of it, and that the Q&A team for that panel said they wanted to go through the books to figure out what was and was not canon at some point.

On a side note, at some point it would be awesome if Blizzard would consider releasing updated rpg rulebooks for Warcraft, as well as Diablo, and Starcraft.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock

Which one?!

duhn duh duuuuuuuuh!

You guys heard it here first. The next D3 patch will be the Thrall Hookah expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
... D&D Warcraft books?
BAAASHIOOOK. Send me these ASAP. <3
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
This thread, if it hasn't already, is going places.

Fantastic places.
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Rogue

duhn duh duuuuuuuuh!

You guys heard it here first. The next D3 patch will be the Thrall Hookah expansion.

GG.

WoW goes into Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

duhn duh duuuuuuuuh!

When will the beta come out?
Reply Quote
84 Gnome Warlock
As for the OP, I know of a few things that were discussed way back.

Here's a few:
Ogres were on the table for the new horde race in cataclysm
Emerald dream was a few zones that were being made during vanilla, but were ultimately scrapped (and this was after the devs were hyping up the zones as being beautiful and awesome :( )
Scholomance was originally intended to be an outdoor elite area but they made it into an instance.
There used to be shields and bucklers, with rogues and hunters being able to use bucklers.
There was an azshara crater battle ground in the works for a long time and it was announced to be in MoP I believe as a DoTA style battle ground but was cut I think.
Wintergrasp was supposed to have aerial combat (and even the box for WOTLK says it...)
Azjol nerub was supposed to be a raid in WOTLK but was cut because it was too big or something, idk exactly, but I do know that ghostcrawlers biggest regret is not making an Azjol Nerub raid.
Necromancer and Runemaster were considered for the WOTLK class.
Oh, and path of the titans was a system to be introduced in cataclysm, but was cut. I don't know much about it.

Those are the ones I know of off the top of my head, let me know if I'm wrong with any of these.
Edited by Rindy on 10/1/2012 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
WoW has, from what I read about a shareholder's meeting, another three expansions already planned. That's plenty of material to come. Emerald Dream? Perhaps. Finally killing Queen Azshara? For sure. Taking down Sargeras and the Burning Legion at the end of the final WoW expansion? Totally.

I want to see Jania Proudmoore and Sylvannas Windrunner merge with Nez. into an all-powerful Lich Queen. Ftw!

I want to see all classes turned into Death Knights as a patched April Fool's Day. Just for the epic amount of QQ'ing on the forums that would result.

But truly, I feel like the idea of a Hero Class was underutilized (given that we are still waiting on another "Hero" class) and would love to see another one or two put into the game.

I want playable Murlocs, damn it. I want to be a Murloc Death Knight.

I would love to see entirely new 60-70 and 70-80 leveling zones. Give players a real, meaningful choice when it comes to leveling.

I still want Crabby to be an obtainable in-game pet.

Deathwing Mount. Yes.

My "Of The Forums" in-game title.

Let's make this happen.

Oh... and did someone say "Dance Studio"?
Edited by Erondy on 10/1/2012 6:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
58 Troll Death Knight
I wanna try WoW alpha.

http://youtu.be/WWHCE7mgMa8
Edited by Scyl on 10/1/2012 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]