Blizz, what other options did you consider?

90 Human Warrior
yes, please. Argus is supposed to be very canon

Given that pandaren, a concept Alliance race, is given an entire expansion and a whole continent to tell their stories, I'd say we draenei deserve the same

Honestly though, Argus is probably going to be Burning Legion and probably Sargeras. Which means that it being anything but the last expansion, level 100 raid boss, all that stuff, just isn't going to be right.

Also though, Nerubians were playable in those RPG books. Nerubians please, Blizz?

Blizzard tries to avoid non-humanoid playable races, because the regular armor models don't work on them (and, for some races, weapon models might not look right either). This means that they'd need to design new graphics for every old piece of armor in the game, and do twice the work for every new piece going forward.

There are a lot of races I'd love to see playable, but given that artwork seems to be one of the biggest development bottlenecks right now, it's unlikely to happen.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Paladin
You can still get the .pdf version of the D&D books pretty easily. Try drivethrustuff.com
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/01/2012 06:56 PMPosted by Erondy
I want to see all classes turned into Death Knights as a patched April Fool's Day. Just for the epic amount of QQ'ing on the forums that would result.

Ahahaha. And "Of The Forums".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you can manage to find copies of the D&D "Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game" dungeon guides, I swear they read like a laundry list of things that have come true since release. They aren't canon, and I don't think anyone is literally going back and checking things off, but they contain a lot of un-materialized ideas for classes and playable races. It stands to reason those ideas are still swimming around somehow, somewhere.

Yeah, us story forumers have been there, and done that.

It's fairly creepy on how similar they were.

Even the original Cenarion Horse Bird had it's price set to the price in the RPG books.
Reply Quote
60 Goblin Rogue
If you can manage to find copies of the D&D "Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game" dungeon guides, I swear they read like a laundry list of things that have come true since release. They aren't canon, and I don't think anyone is literally going back and checking things off, but they contain a lot of un-materialized ideas for classes and playable races. It stands to reason those ideas are still swimming around somehow, somewhere.

I DM'd with those books for several years, and if you're hinting that my Furbolg Warmage could be a real thing I think I would be hooked on this game for life. (Like I'm not already, but y'know what I mean.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
D&D??

PFFFTTT

you guys are FREAKS!!

>_>

<_<

2nd edition is the best edition
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I have this book. We used it once to create a couple things for a DnD campaign. Trez Nifty!
Reply Quote
With the addition of Pandarea, the world map is getting a little crowded. Sometimes I think we forget about the Dark Portal and all the fun it can bring. Sure, right now it only leads to Outland, but if I am not mistaken, this is how the Burning Legion has attacked most of the other worlds.

Imagine if the mages of Azeroth were able to unlock some of its secrets. They could open doorways to other worlds that would not necessarily have to be tied to lore. Don't get me wrong, the lore of WOW is one of the reasons I continue to enjoy the game. But from a design standpoint, lore can be a little restricting sometimes.

With a new world, you could create almost anything you could imagine. Design and history would be totally new.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

So that's where blizz gets all its ideas!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
You can find the D&D books sold in the Blizzard store still.

The policy used to be that wherever the game and the RPG conflicted, the game won out as canon.

But most of the original ideas alluded to in WC1,2 and 3 were expanded there and you can be sure you're going to see the things you see in the RPG coming for years to come.

But don't try and talk about this with the canon police. But when it comes to Metzen and companies' theory crafting, they put a lot of his ideas in the role playing game.

You will see for instance drawings of various Titans done by Samwise in the RPG book, as well as a list of the Titan's history, which probably won't change ever.

Just don't hold the RPG book up as something not to be retconned.

Here are some of the RPG books sold by Blizzard directly:

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:4,c:19

I recommend Shadows and Light for a comprehensive list of characters including Gods and Titans and their histories.
Edited by Elrith on 10/2/2012 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Like Thrall and Deathwing smoking a hookah together.

CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO ARGUS NEXT XPAC!

yes, please. Argus is supposed to be very canon

Given that pandaren, a concept Alliance race, is given an entire expansion and a whole continent to tell their stories, I'd say we draenei deserve the same

Um, The Burning Crusade called, sorry you had to share it with Blood Elves but Outland is basically your homeworld for the last few dozen centuries or so since you left Argus.

I know it sucks waiting on development when it only comes in 2 year spurts, but Draenei did have an entire expansion focused on them for half a faction. Everything we did in Outland was for the Draenei, or it was the Blood Elves trying to steal from the Draenei.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Death Knight
Which version of the rules for D&D WoW is this, by the way?

I know of two, both on the link into the Blizzard store above. I rather liked the first release; the second was like a precursor to fourth edition D&D, focusing too much on abilities' icons. Sure seemed like the ideas for other areas of the books suffered due to this change in design philosophy, somehow...
Reply Quote
20 Pandaren Warrior
just found the whole set of pdf's can't wait to go through them
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
...Ogres were a April Fools...
Then again, so were pandaren...
No. I do not want an ogre. They would out stupid the orcs.

I don´t like you and your comment.
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Priest
They aren't canon, and I don't think anyone is literally going back and checking things off...

You think so, do you?
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Hunter

Like Thrall and Deathwing smoking a hookah together.

CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO ARGUS NEXT XPAC!
Garrosh's non-canon wife just says to "Say No to drugs" XD
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

Which one?!

duhn duh duuuuuuuuh!

Then where did the Draenei come from?

AND WHY ARE THEY LYING ABOUT IT!?
Edited by Draile on 10/2/2012 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]