PvP as a Warlock?

90 Human Warlock
My question is...how? I'm so used to my Ret Paladin that I find it almost impossible to get used to my Warlock. I feel like there's a crippling lack of survival and mobility. The damage is there, but I simply cannot stay alive. So my question to you is: "how?"

I will be playing Affliction for PvE, but I'm willing to play either Demo or Afflic for PvP (primarily BGs and 3s). Basically, which is more suited for PvP in your opinions? Do you have any tips on how to stay alive? Absolutely anything is appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Use all your tools that have been given to you.
Portal and gateway are largely underrated.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Idk, as of 5.0.5, it definitely feels like it has its holes in survivability, utility, and even single target damage (a good player does not simply let you flat out burst him down with a chaos bolt), but I'm sure it wont be a problem in arena due to demonic gateway, blood fear, and other classes utilities (such as mages and warriors).

On a side note, destro that goes into grim of sac+soul link and uses sac on a void walker has a TON of survivability :D
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
being a warlock is very complex and takes anywhere from months to sometimes up to a year to learn how to master in order to kill everything in your path and not die. iv been playing my lock since BC so i have mastered my class. i can pretty much duel/bg/arena against any class and hit them ALOT harder and almost kill them before they get to me, the secret is that if they do get to you, you have a high % chance of dieing so this is the situation u have to learn how to adapt to. you have to know what to do in these situations, ex:: a rogue is on ur !@# or a DK is in your face putting alot of pressure on you. if you can slip out and hit them with a slow and train your brain to REACT<<<< to these specific situations you will come out with a WIN 95% of the time. i have mastered AFF. spec and DESTRO spec. this new expansion seems more favored towards DESTRO. i have been toying with both specs. and im sticking with DESTRO you have INSANE amounts of burst and EXCELLENT self heals and very good utility and slows <<< if you use all of this the RIGHT WAY. some ppl prefer AFF. i played AFF. all through cata and yes it was a HARDCORE face melting spec. still is<< BUT<< i prefer DESTRO but thats my opinion. no matter what you have to adapt to those specific situations like i said. remember you are very vulnerable to melee as a lock, but you CAN beat them if you use what you have in your spellbook the right way. perfect example: 2 days ago i dueled a RET pal. and opened up on him so HARD!! that he literally had to use his bubble to survive DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the burst from DESTRO. i MELT people and i melt them fast. need to know more look me up or write me back. thanks

Çryptobiotiç
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
but then again all of this power i have is at 85 lol, i need to buy the dang expansion so we will see what happens at 90 :) im sure destro will still be my preference though.
Reply Quote
75 Blood Elf Warlock
Zen
Çryptobiotiç - I'm with you on almost everything you said. However, I feel it's more important, as a lock, to respond, not react.

Also, dark apotheosis helps a lot in BGs. It takes a whole group of people to take me out
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
being a warlock is very complex and takes anywhere from months to sometimes up to a year to learn how to master in order to kill everything in your path and not die. iv been playing my lock since BC so i have mastered my class. i can pretty much duel/bg/arena against any class and hit them ALOT harder and almost kill them before they get to me, the secret is that if they do get to you, you have a high % chance of dieing so this is the situation u have to learn how to adapt to. you have to know what to do in these situations, ex:: a rogue is on ur !@# or a DK is in your face putting alot of pressure on you. if you can slip out and hit them with a slow and train your brain to REACT<<<< to these specific situations you will come out with a WIN 95% of the time. i have mastered AFF. spec and DESTRO spec. this new expansion seems more favored towards DESTRO. i have been toying with both specs. and im sticking with DESTRO you have INSANE amounts of burst and EXCELLENT self heals and very good utility and slows <<< if you use all of this the RIGHT WAY. some ppl prefer AFF. i played AFF. all through cata and yes it was a HARDCORE face melting spec. still is<< BUT<< i prefer DESTRO but thats my opinion. no matter what you have to adapt to those specific situations like i said. remember you are very vulnerable to melee as a lock, but you CAN beat them if you use what you have in your spellbook the right way. perfect example: 2 days ago i dueled a RET pal. and opened up on him so HARD!! that he literally had to use his bubble to survive DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the burst from DESTRO. i MELT people and i melt them fast. need to know more look me up or write me back. thanks

Çryptobiotiç

Apperently you haven't mastered punctuation and spelling...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
well considering the fact im not writing a !@#$%^- essay for college i dont care bout punctuation on a WOW forum ;) good day..
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ye DA is good but my specific playstyle, surv. isnt to important to me lol i like to burn and kill and move on lol and you will always have enough surv. against multiple ppl if you have enough skill to get away and time your spells lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
In bgs beg for symbiosis to every druid, that self rejuv makes bgs 500x easier.
Reply Quote
u mastered ur class? ur 1500 in arena highest rating rofl
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I favor destro atm for pvp, but they are all great. Trial and error is the only way you'll get better.
MACRO MACRO MACRO

You don't want to be a one button pusher, that is a disaster. I like opener macros then i shift inot my normal routine. Make a macro to get your dots on a target if you're affliction (sometimes soul swap is on cd) I don't know if casting corruption or agony cancel the new channel filler for affliction, but if they don't. Consider adding stop casts onto both those spells so you can instantly stop channeling and refresh dots before they expire.

ATM I'm trying write one for demo that will shift me into mete, cast DOOM on a player, and jump out of mete form. I have to crunch the numbers to see if the time spent with that whole process is worth it. But ATM I think is reasonable.

Work on another to bind some survival spells together. Like trinket, and some ability to reduce your damage. By trial and error you'll find out what you should do in plenty of situations. By binding multiple things together you can trim down on time between spells and beat your opponent.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
If you are talking about a non rated BG with no premade help vs others in the generic brawl that is normal then lock may not be the strongest 1v1 class but it isn't nearly as weak as it was pre 5.0.x by a mile.

Aff has pressure but is less new user friendly and still pretty much needs a healer and/or peeler. Its a dot/pressure spec, never a burst spec that is trying to function in repeat short term encounters....you need a Ti-83 calculator for that one?

Destro on the other hand can burst hard and has a couple basic advantages affliction lacks. First it has its control and most of its damage on separate lockouts. Spam nuke, get kicked, chaosbolt them (or fear them). Destro could give a crap about dispels which stops about 90% of aff's pressure instantly. Destro can also burst quite hard thus ending a fight in a shorter timeframe than what a dot spec is designed to do.

Shadow: fears, shadowfury, coil, chaosbolt
Fire: immolate, conflag, incinerate
*Fel flame is useable whenever you aren't totally silenced and hits for much more than it ever used to.

In the ways most players interact in non rated play and at most MMR's that are mainstream destro is probably a stronger choice. Locks still have a far higher skillcap than most but now the difference is you can actually kill something when you played well. Before 5.0.x you were literally the CC bot and dispel shield for the actual damage dealers.
Reply Quote
If you are talking about a non rated BG with no premade help vs others in the generic brawl that is normal then lock may not be the strongest 1v1 class but it isn't nearly as weak as it was pre 5.0.x by a mile.

Aff has pressure but is less new user friendly and still pretty much needs a healer and/or peeler. Its a dot/pressure spec, never a burst spec that is trying to function in repeat short term encounters....you need a Ti-83 calculator for that one?

Destro on the other hand can burst hard and has a couple basic advantages affliction lacks. First it has its control and most of its damage on separate lockouts. Spam nuke, get kicked, chaosbolt them (or fear them). Destro could give a crap about dispels which stops about 90% of aff's pressure instantly. Destro can also burst quite hard thus ending a fight in a shorter timeframe than what a dot spec is designed to do.

Shadow: fears, shadowfury, coil, chaosbolt
Fire: immolate, conflag, incinerate
*Fel flame is useable whenever you aren't totally silenced and hits for much more than it ever used to.

In the ways most players interact in non rated play and at most MMR's that are mainstream destro is probably a stronger choice. Locks still have a far higher skillcap than most but now the difference is you can actually kill something when you played well. Before 5.0.x you were literally the CC bot and dispel shield for the actual damage dealers.

So much of what you said is wrong...

First off, affliction in 4.3 was far stronger than it is currently. Sure its easier and more streamlined but all in all, I would take 4.3 affliction over this bs any day.

Destro is better and I genuinely enjoy the spec now. Destro in my exactly where it ought to be. And actually destro does care about dispells, in pvp, ember generation is a large issue since more embers means more damage and more heals. Casting fel flame, incinerate, conflag and rof on a target that has immolate generates more embers than if you casted them without the target having immolate. Not to mention the dot dmg.

As for your statement on affliction's pressure being negated by dispells, anyone who does rated bgs and I disagree. Afflictons's job is dispell protection, and with a 8 second cd on dispell and an optional glyph, its arguably even stronger in dot cleave comps.

As for us being CC bots and dispell shields, in 4.3 rbgs I was always top 3 in rbgs at ~2.1k mmr so no, if you played affliction correctly you did more than enough damage.

TLDR: 4.3 affliction was better than this bs and destro 5.05 is better than 4.3 destro.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
reading alot of these responses you should consider checking peoples arena stats etc and general pvp history. again this does not always mean the truth, because people could have high rated alts, but take alot of this with tons of salt.

alot of imformation i read here so far is incorrect, i have to say the only person, imo you should consider listening to is, Chin. the only time an affliction lock needs baby sitting is if you are inexperienced and have no idea what you are doing.

i also mained ret paladin before i played my lock, i started playing lock main in Wrath. s5. starting off you have no idea how to do damage or survive. some of the glaring mistakes i remember making was not utilizing my range advantage, you will be surprized how often you find your self too close to the fight when you do not have to be, just out of habit of playing a melee. work on that.

also, affliction is easy to play, it is difficult to always play well. you have to realize that your role dictates the pace of the fight, you have to be very aggressive as a lock. you need to be mindful of fear DR and immunities and fear breaks (lich, zerker, ward, cloak etc) you have to keep the enemy team hurting at all times.

no matter what you are doing at the time, you have to always baby sit the enemy healer, because controlling him every few seconds is how you rot his team and set him back, as affy in arena you naturally become the shot caller, because you keep track of dots and how rotten your targets are and if you can control the healer to start cc chains and get a kill on a low HP target.

all this comes with experience. i strongly suggest stopping by skillcapped.com and AJ for further information. watching videos on utube from players like snutz and especially poonxo will streamline very clearly for you what your role in arena is. you will be very surprized how much time is spent, actually rotating fears instead of draining and doing single target damage. good luck, and keep at it.
Reply Quote
63 Undead Warlock
I'm new to wow and warlocks but I read, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. And I play a pally so I kinda know what you're talking about.

warlocks just seem like they've been given an entire toolbox of abilities to keep them alive.

One trick I know of right now is to port after a warrior's charge or a dk's death grip. Or I can use Curse of Exhaustion at 40 yard range for the 30% slow so that a warrior cannot get within 25 yards of me to charge. He'd have to leap to get in range.

Or if you're being wrecked by a ret pally, try disarming him with a Voidwalker's disarm ( 1 min cd ). If a warrior pops enrage, perhaps you can stun him with Shadowfury. Or knockback with Succubus.

Then for mobility there's always those ports on a 30 second cd. Or you can use burning rush for the 50% movespeed. Speed of Light on a holy pally saved my !@# so many times when nothing else could, I'm sure burning rush will be a godsend when only mobility will save my life.

Then there's hp regeneration. You can use dark regeneration for 30%hp, then use glyphed healthstone for 40% max hp over 10 seconds ( which will benefit from dark regenerations' 25% hp increase ). Then there's mortal coil for 15% max hp. Just to start out, I'm planning to put these in a single macro for the time being.

Then there's always using a voidwalker's shadowbulwark in conjunction with soul link and all the health regeneration from above.

Or say a pally can't be stunned or feared b/c of that godamn bubble. Well iirc a felhunter's devour magic can remove that.

You can also use a pet's ability, say spell lock from felhunter, and use Grimoire of Sacrifice to gain that ability. Then just cast that $%^- again.

If I were you I'd write down all the abilities you have, then start brainstorming practical combinations you will use to do various things. Like say, create distance. Or survive when a melee is on you and has popped his offensive cd's. Even a single 70% max hp heal macro will come in super handy for starters.

Surviving as a warlock and putting out damage is going to take a lot more finesse and skill than surviving as a pally so I would really study and practice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I want you to ask more specific questions to specific scenarios so I can really help you out. You're being vague, I feel like you're asking me to write you up a guide.

shameless plug already 2200 in 3v3 bored doing 2v2 for fun. Facing gladiator teams and winning. http://www.twitch.tv/HTOMario
Edited by Gnomemind on 10/5/2012 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]