Returning mage, need to get on track again

88 Human Mage
Basically just need a quick rundown of what is decent for leveling a mage post 80.

I been gone since before cata, so i know nothing...im just sort of lost at the moment. I need to buy cata still actually, but what is hot these days? Fire? Ice?

If someone could brief me on the current state of mages that would be great, thanks.
Reply Quote
Here is likely the most honest answer you are going to get on the forums.

THE CLASS CHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY AT 90. The level 90 talents add an insane amount of complexity to playing the class.

Now that is out of the way...

Go frost. Spam frostbomb, and frost orb once you get it. Just doing those two things make for a pretty good leveling experience. Just be ready to be smacked in the face once you get to 90 and are struggling to keep up with your friends in heroics and raids.
Reply Quote
88 Human Mage
Wow, really that bad at 90? What makes it so complex?

Sort of a side question...i know this isnt exactly the right place but, im also thinking of rerolling for the fun of it a new char and just enjoying the ride to 90. Any classes you yourself prefer? I am thinking Warrior but i just have no clue on whats decent or anything these days.

Btw, i remember ya Entropy from before..good to see ya.
Reply Quote
The level 90 talents are designed to severely punish you if you screw up your positioning and have to move during a fight. they are not so much "fun" as "a chore" mages must perform in order to put out respectable damage.

Most of the QQ (mine included BTW) comes from the fact that raiding mages have fresh memories of Firelands and other raid zones where tons of movement are required. That type of encounter design combined with anti mobility talents is not a good sign.

Outside of higher end raiding, mages are a blast. Someone in another thread said "if it were not for the level 90 talents, I would not have a single ill thing to say about the class." I can't put it any better. Up until then the class is absolutely amazing, very intuitive, smooth and fun to play. Any small fix to the level 90 talents would make the class damn near perfect.

Like I said, just remember to use frost orb. Its on a 1 minute cool down, and I forgot it a lot while leveling.

Fire is also not an awful spec. Most of the crazy garbage RNG is gone, and while it does work much better with a few simple macros, fire works perfectly.

Personally, I did not like arcane very much. I did not try it till 90 though and I think much of my revulsion with the specialization comes from it's both dependance on and interaction with the level 90 talent tier.

As for other classes...

Warriors are in a pretty good spot overall. They are going to be very important dps for heroics due to their high output and high mobility. On my spare time I have been playing a brew master monk.

I like him a lot, but I have him set up for a tank, so I can't really talk about the other two specs.

Unfortunately the mage situation is something we will just have to wait and watch
Reply Quote
88 Human Mage
Do you feel though that its definitely something worth while already having a mage at 80 to get him to 90?

Just another side quesiton, how are Pallies these days? I have an 80 pally as well, just curious if they are in decent shape any.
Reply Quote
88 Human Mage
Oh also what about gear, how is it these days in terms of getting gear? Pretty much the same running the weeklies and getting badges, or has it changed a bit in 2 years?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It's changed quite a bit.

There's no more badges, you get justice points and valor points. Justice is 458(heroic dungeons are 463), and valor buys raid level epic gear. Heroics are the way to get gear for the most part.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Do you feel though that its definitely something worth while already having a mage at 80 to get him to 90?

Just another side quesiton, how are Pallies these days? I have an 80 pally as well, just curious if they are in decent shape any.

Just to help you out I had a 70 pally and this mage when I came back. Left after BC and skipped LK. After leveling both to 85 I would go with the mage. Pallies are in decent shape since all three specs are decent it's just a pain to get gear for two specs imo.

Personally I lvl'd Fire since it's the spec I like the most and wanted to get comfortable using it again. If I were you I would try all three specs and see which one fits your playstyle best. Once you find it just level with it to get as comfortable as possible.
Reply Quote
88 Human Mage
Thanks for the input here guys, its so hard just getting back into the groove with so much changed.

I just ordered Cata for my mage account, and im gonna work on him. I figure i needed it regardless and ill get MoP once im 85.

I mean until i wait for Cata to arrive though, is there anything post 80 my mage can do in terms of questing?

Im working on a warrior from scratch in off time, so that has me busy. But im just curious if my mage can do anything really until i get Cata.

And forgive all my newb questions lol its just so much has definitely changed.
Reply Quote
89 Human Mage
10/03/2012 09:31 AMPosted by Taliic
Im working on a warrior from scratch in off time, so that has me busy. But im just curious if my mage can do anything really until i get Cata.

farm gold:)
Reply Quote
It is too late now for your main account but It sounds like you have multiple accounts so if any are still inactive have someone send you a scroll of resurrection before you activate it. It gives you free cata and a free level 80 of your choosing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Check out this link for playing Frost in MoP. Great core learning to play in PvE or PvP as a Frost Mage.

http://www.icy-veins.com/frost-mage-wow-pve-dps-guide
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]