Just hit 90. (Mostly PvP)

90 Pandaren Shaman
Getting wrecked by every other class and kind of angry that one of my final tier talents is a liability in PvP (Elemental Blast), one isn't up all the time and I'm not even sure if it's usable in Arenas (Primal Elementalist) and the other adds a somewhat clunky mechanic to a spell I'm not supposed to use because Blizzard apparently outsourced the Shaman development team to a team of highly trained monkeys.

Apparently removing all of my escape skills and making them talents or glyphs instead of passives that were already in place in Cata (Earthbind, Ghost Wolf) was supposed to be an improvement, as now I can die even faster after a Warrior leaps my Thunderstorms. Enemy hybrids are ripping through me thanks to their much more passive mana regen mechanics outpacing my 100% active mana regen.

I was playing Warlock before MoP came out extensively and having fun with the new mechanics. I was thinking about maining my Shaman, especially since I really like Pandaren and Engineering seems interesting once more, but now I'm having my doubts. Is anyone else as frustrated as I am? Everything about Shaman seems clunky to me.

And yeah, this is kind of an angry post. Venting because I'm either bad (Haven't played Shaman since WotLK) or because the class is weak. Hopefully I'm just bad because that means that I can improve but... I don't know, I'm just really angry right now.
Edited by Rokata on 9/29/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I'm having fun in pvp. Great survivability, good damage, all about using your totems effectively. This is from an Enhance viewpoint which I feel is in a real good spot pvp wise. Going back and forth from pve and pvp I am loving my shaman more than ever.
Edited by Razgrîz on 9/30/2012 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Wait until you gear up a bit plz...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
^^ this but i do see your point it does seam like im getting rocked by every mage/hunter/protpaly or war/ feral lololol

mind you im not 90 so idk, on a side note how do you EHshamans deal with being so slow? are there enchants that make you run faster? or are you hopping in n out of ghostwolf?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Getting wrecked by every other class and kind of angry that one of my final tier talents is a liability in PvP (Elemental Blast), one isn't up all the time and I'm not even sure if it's usable in Arenas (Primal Elementalist) and the other adds a somewhat clunky mechanic to a spell I'm not supposed to use because Blizzard apparently outsourced the Shaman development team to a team of highly trained monkeys.

Apparently removing all of my escape skills and making them talents or glyphs instead of passives that were already in place in Cata (Earthbind, Ghost Wolf) was supposed to be an improvement, as now I can die even faster after a Warrior leaps my Thunderstorms. Enemy hybrids are ripping through me thanks to their much more passive mana regen mechanics outpacing my 100% active mana regen.

I was playing Warlock before MoP came out extensively and having fun with the new mechanics. I was thinking about maining my Shaman, especially since I really like Pandaren and Engineering seems interesting once more, but now I'm having my doubts. Is anyone else as frustrated as I am? Everything about Shaman seems clunky to me.

And yeah, this is kind of an angry post. Venting because I'm either bad (Haven't played Shaman since WotLK) or because the class is weak. Hopefully I'm just bad because that means that I can improve but... I don't know, I'm just really angry right now.

You're correct, the class is weak as hell, Enhance and Ele atleast. My 2 mains in Cata were Shaman and Mage. From my experience they buffed mages a lot, and nerfed shamans. And you're right about them having trained monkeys working on the Sham development team, that's the only answer. I'm gonna be forced to make this toon resto once again, Ele and Enhance were literally always the dps classes with the least cc and defenses, so Blizz's answer to that was "Lets make them even worse so no one will even TRY to play them MUHAHA less work for us having less classes to balance." IMO
Edited by Acid on 9/30/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I dont understand your complaint at all
you have earthbind already, if you wanted earthgrab than you can spec for that rather than frozen power which you were never able to get as ele anyways

blizz gave you a choice of frozen power or earthgrab and you chose f.power dont blame them lol

and so what if you glyph GW?
Warriors have to glyph for either more range or rage per a charge Dont think they are happy having to use 2 glyph slot for charge range and rage. They must choose just like we do
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

The class was problematic from day 1, it's just a case of finding a way that fits your play style. I've played allot of PVP but finding Shamens who are really skilled is rare.

I've never been amazing at this class but then again my average typically has always been enough to be near the top simply because there isn't any other Shamens to compete against.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/29/2012 07:23 AMPosted by Rokata
as now I can die even faster after a Warrior leaps my Thunderstorms

frost shock root and walk away....?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/30/2012 06:29 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
as now I can die even faster after a Warrior leaps my Thunderstorms

frost shock root and walk away....?

It's not that simple...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If a warrior heroic leaps to you then yes it is.... he cant leap straight into a throwdown anymore.. he cant root you. most he could do it shockwave for a few seconds which you can either sit or trinket... then frost shock, walk away, hex him or heal up keep him frost shock slowed, and spam lightning bolts.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
With a bunch of blue gear from dungeons, I've been tearing it up in every BG. Top 3 in damage, a ton of survivabilty and some nice burst with Ascendance/Wolves/Fire Ele Totem.

Keep gearing and practicing, it gets better in time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/01/2012 06:18 AMPosted by Scrufu

is the blue gear better than the cata conquest gear?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
What looks like its really gimping my pvp at 89 is how the offheals didnt scale at all while my HP (and incoming damage) went up a considerable margin.

at 85, 150k hp, big crits for 30k and non crit heals for 25k.... pretty good... at 89, 255k hp, big crits for 60-80k, and still non crit heals for 25k. Also since my stats are lessened, my crit chance went from like 23% down to 10.

Does Elemental scale back to a decent place in 90 PVP gear?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Well in the past elemental is extremely weak without pvp gear because they are so easy to shut down and will drop like flies. I don't see why MoP would be especially different. With some pvp gear you will be able to survive a few hits to get an opportunity to cast again.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hopefully it's just the case of Ele scaling better with gear than other classes... Fully HP capped and about halfway JP capped in preparation for tomorrow!

If Ele continues to be weak, I guess I'll go Enhancement...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
With a bunch of blue gear from dungeons, I've been tearing it up in every BG. Top 3 in damage, a ton of survivabilty and some nice burst with Ascendance/Wolves/Fire Ele Totem.

I don't think you understand that if the class was built solid people wouldn't be on here showing frustration.

If only a hand full of people are having success with the class then that's cause for concern. It's not normal to have this much doubt about a class.
Reply Quote
Ele is weak. It always has been at the start of an expansion.

Look at the past.

Since TBC ele has received band-aid fixes, there so many that the class either needs to be completely redone or they will remain the weakest caster in PvP.

Starting off control-wise ele is BY FAR the weakest, with no silences and an unreliable stun, Ele relies soley off of Hex for CC which has to be one of the worst CCs except for the fact it's a curse which is also a down fall because of the strength of mages who can dispel Hex. Other casters have many more superior options to CC, spammable poly/cyclone/fear into other CC such as deep freeze/rootbeam/shadowfury/spell lock/etc. Priests are the only other class in the same boat as Ele with non spammable CC but they were given a pet which spams fear on a relatively short CC, a strong silence, a disarm/horror and numerous defensive abilities. Ele is left in the cold with very little CC, below average mobility, and very little defensive mechanics.

Ele is a mail wearer with a shield they are designed to tank more damage than anyone else. The problem is Blizz loaded mages up with so much kiting ability that melee have to be balanced around mages or worthless against them. This leaves Ele shaman in a state where they much tank all melee, unless peeled by a partner, with near 100% up time.

Ele has been fine with all these downsides in the past. It was called Wrath of the Lich King. Ele was able to be compete with other classes thanks to Blood Lust, their strong off heals and their insane on demand burst damage. Blizzard has effectively neutered all of these abilities. This leaves Ele with low control, RNG damage, and subpar defenses.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN ELE IS UNVIABLE. Many people think because Ele isn't a Frost mage downing healers 100-0 in a deep that Ele isn't viable. Ele is viable, Glad viable with the right partners. It's more about how much effort you're willing to put in and how good you are at the game. Will you have to be better than who you fight? Yes. Will you lose to people worse than you? Yes. Playing Ele will be an uphill battle. Get gear, get better only things you can do as a shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I dont understand your complaint at all
you have earthbind already, if you wanted earthgrab than you can spec for that rather than frozen power which you were never able to get as ele anyways

blizz gave you a choice of frozen power or earthgrab and you chose f.power dont blame them lol

and so what if you glyph GW?
Warriors have to glyph for either more range or rage per a charge Dont think they are happy having to use 2 glyph slot for charge range and rage. They must choose just like we do

It's a clear nerf when I need to talent and glyph into options I already had whereas every other caster DPS has gained CC and Slows in MoP. Frozen Power is very nice, I agree, but it can't compete very well against melee designed to make it through the plethora of options other casters have if the melee is played well.

Meanwhile, Warriors are zipping around the battlefield with double charge, Heroic Leap and Shockwave which lasts one second less than Throwdown did, does damage and has 25 seconds shaved off it's CD when compared to Throwdown.
Edited by Rokata on 10/2/2012 3:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I agree. I have about 500,000 hk's across a my pally, mage, lock, warrior, and shaman. For some strange reason, I enjoyed my ele the most in Cata and she's a Grand Marshal. Currently ele's are one of the weaker specs when it comes to 1v1. No chance against a warrior, DK, or shadow priest....locks and mages too probably but I haven't dueled many of them yet since i just geared up yesterday. But after about 10 hours of dueling, average players with those toons will get the better of me the majority of times. You have to play a perfect game in order to win.

If you're thinking that maybe I'm a bad dueler, it's possible. I've scoured the web trying to find builds and tactics to help win, but there isn't much out there yet. Maybe it's because it's early, or maybe it's because other good players have also concluded that eles are a weaker spec, and have opted to play different classes, or resto.

Trying to consider my option while hoping for a rebalance. Resto is about the only thing I can think of, since I'm too busy to level another toon right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]