Just a quick thing I don't understand...

26 Pandaren Monk
In the war of the ancients Azshara and her highborne are summoning in Sargeras.

Why does Sargeras need to be summoned? He is a Titan. He has the power to basically walk across the stars from planet to planet and basically do as he wants. Why didn't he just walk to Azertoth and be like "hey here I am I'm gonna tear *&$% up." ?

I don't understand this. Is there some lore I'm missing that makes it necessary for a Titan to be summoned somewhere?
Reply Quote
Mostly, it was a plot device - Sargeras couldn't come himself or there would be no explanation for the continued existence of Azeroth.

However, there are some things we can infer from there. One, it seems Titans don't simply "walk" in the Nether. I'm sure they have some sort of ship or other transworld vessel similar to the Naaru's Tempest Keep. Two, it's probable Sargeras himself lacks such technology, or has limited access to it, explaining the Legion's preferred method of transportation through Portals, even tough people like the Naaru use ships. Three, Sargeras may be stranded far away from Azeroth.

There's also a second explanation - the Twisting Nether, the spiritual world that is the Legion's homebase, is actually different than the Great Dark Beyond, which is outer space. So, Sargeras would need a portal because he was in the nEther, a different phase of existence, instead of planet hopping through the Beyond.
Reply Quote
26 Pandaren Monk
Ok if he is in the Nether, how did he end up there? How'd he get stuck in the Nether? Did the other Titans banish him there?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
You expect him to just walk?

That would take thousands of years.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
09/29/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Xuefang
Ok if he is in the Nether, how did he end up there? How'd he get stuck in the Nether? Did the other Titans banish him there?

Well his job before corruption was to imprison/watch over the demonic population of the Nether. Its possible that he was in the Nether when he turned and the Titans just closed whatever way he had to easily leave it.
Reply Quote
One does not simply walk into Azeroth.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
09/29/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Heon
the Twisting Nether, the spiritual world that is the Legion's homebase, is actually different than the Great Dark Beyond, which is outer space. So, Sargeras would need a portal because he was in the nEther, a different phase of existence, instead of planet hopping through the Beyond.

This. They are separate realms of existence. How Sargeras got there is up to debate.

09/29/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Liuv
Well his job before corruption was to imprison/watch over the demonic population of the Nether. Its possible that he was in the Nether when he turned and the Titans just closed whatever way he had to easily leave it.

This is possible.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Its possible that the Titans closed whatever way they used to enter Azeroth after seeing Sargareas going corrupt. Sargareas used the same way of corruption and usage of Fel magic on both the Eradar and Orcs to facilitate his plans. This means that he can no longer enter the worlds without being summoned.
Edited by Ranhaithnaal on 9/29/2012 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I always took it as "Sargeras is a demon and cannot enter this world swiftly without some sort of summoning ritual." It's the same reason Archimonde couldn't show up without Kel'Thuzad and the Book of Medivh and Kil'jaeden couldn't show up without Kael'thas Sunstrider and the Sunwell. They were probably in Legion headquarters, far, far away from Azeroth, and wouldn't make it in time otherwise.

Lore-wise, each demon requires a specific summoning ritual and to be defeated in battle before they can be summoned at will. The requirements depend on the demon but it scales in difficulty based on how powerful it is.

Imps might require a blood pact.
Voidwalkers need a symbol of strength.
Succubi request some symbol of love.
Felhunters need two summoning circles and the aid of additional warlocks.
Infernals need to be constructed with fel flame and other materials.
Felsteeds need to be summoned from Xoroth.

Doomguards are an exception and are too powerful to call from the Nether safely. Warlocks need to capture them in reality with a magical trap. They also require more than one person to summon and randomly sacrifice the participants of said summoning. They are also not controllable in lore, even when summoned, and attack anything but the warlock.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]