Bear levelling through mop?

90 Orc Warrior
Is it at all viable to level as a guardian in MoP? I have tanking gear from 85, but no real caster gear. Am I going to have to pick up a cat spec? Or can I make bear levelling work?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Don't see why not. Just try it out, if it's too slow paced you could always just go cat with your gear I'd imagine, or run countless dungeons with insta-que tank.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ive heard of people making bear leveling work. I personally leveled Feral myself and had a good time.

Early on in the quest lines you will find a vendor that will sell a full set of quest level greens for any of your specs. So if you wanted to level as a boomkin or something you could quest untill you reached that vendor and pick up a set for a couple hundred gold.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I did.

Way better aoe damage is bear. Just gather things up and aoe them down with thrash maul and swipe.
Also the new frenzied regen mechanic helps a lot!

Instant Ques are a plus as well
Edited by Iimes on 9/30/2012 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It's fine. A major advantage is that it's hard to gank a bear.

Moonkin also has good AOE damage, my standard 'rotation' for killing 10 mobs is: lay down 3 mushrooms under me, dot them all, mass root & disengage, blow up mushies, ursol's vortex, more mushrooms and hurricane while they are stuck in the vortex. If they're not all dead then another hurricane finishes them off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm lvling now as guardian and the DPS is a bit slower but unless you pull 100 mobs you're pretty much unkillable. Also, the insta-que for dungoens is nice.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
They key to bear leveling is pulling 4-8 mobs at all times. The spec is fantastic for large pulls.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Where are you guys leveling that you pull tons of mobs on a quest? Who cares about AE damage.

I ditched guardian in favor of feral. At 90 I'll ditch feral and stick with resto until they remerge the specs in the next expansion (or never).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
No issues leveling this guy 85-90 as Guardian. Pulled big packs and whittled them down slowly. Had enough cd's and self heals to do about 10-12 mobs and had fun. Still do dailies as bear. Cheers!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
09/30/2012 06:13 PMPosted by Melete
They key to bear leveling is pulling 4-8 mobs at all times. The spec is fantastic for large pulls.
This.

09/30/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Weepea
Where are you guys leveling that you pull tons of mobs on a quest?
When you're way ahead or way behind of the rest of the pack, pretty much all of them.

When you're only killing one mob at a time, then Feral is better.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Actually I've found that leveling as feral with the random bear for group pulls is very effective. Obviously my gear is for DPS, but long as I don't pull large groups (more than 3 or 4), I can bear tank just fine.
Edited by Snowpaw on 9/30/2012 11:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Bear excels whenever you can group the quest up, but Kitty/Feral wins out on mobs that are spread out (The water quests in Dread Wastes, for example...)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The only problem I run into is when single target fighting, rage generation.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I leveled bear in both live and the beta. In the beta, I found I was doing more damage as a bear in bear gear than a kitty with bear gear. On live, I found that my kitty was doing more single target with bear gear on.

Leveling is fine as a bear if you pull alot and wear some offensive trinkets.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I leveled feral from 85 to 88. At 88 when I went to Townlong I dropped feral and picked up guardian. Would recommend it to anyone who has a feral set.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I leveled on the beta and on live.

I recommend going kitty. Bear is fine, but its slow and only great when mobs are close, and since tethering in MoP seems to be pretty high it doesnt really work out a lot. Dont know how many time i had mobs evade and reset right as they were about to die.

Also, incarnation for kittys is a lifesaver for ganking or if you pull some undesired mobs.

I had bear as my offspec so if you come to a guy you dont think you can handle in kitty just swap.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I leveled as guardian til 88 or 89 and it felt soo slow. Almost zero issues with survival (other than my normal AoE rage starvation), but it took forever to kill crap. As soon as a respecced moonkin to feral (didn't like leveling as moonkin), things started dying so much faster. I do have issues killing more then two mobs at once (playstyle issue), but I definitely recommend it, even in gear reforged to dodge.
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Jozie
I leveled as guardian til 88 or 89 and it felt soo slow. Almost zero issues with survival (other than my normal AoE rage starvation), but it took forever to kill crap. As soon as a respecced moonkin to feral (didn't like leveling as moonkin), things started dying so much faster. I do have issues killing more then two mobs at once (playstyle issue), but I definitely recommend it, even in gear reforged to dodge.

This right here. Killing mobs as guardian takes forever, especially AOE packs. You will never die unless you pull way too many packs either. At starter levels in MoP you can pull 3 mobs and kill em all in a berserk easily, but at later levels that won't work.
Reply Quote
97 Tauren Druid
Steam rolled as bear once i started picking up some mop blues so 87+ you can pull way more mobs at a time and just blow your cds to burn em. Bear healing is not as good as blood dk and our dodge got nerfed but I had an easier time grinding quests as a bear than boom or cat.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/02/2012 06:45 AMPosted by Loreonguy
This right here. Killing mobs as guardian takes forever, especially AOE packs.

Maybe you're doing it wrong? I usually read 40K on the meter for an AOE pack.. use Incarnation and Berserk on CD; priority Mangle=Maul(glyphed) > Thrash (if bleed down) > Swipe > Thrash
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]