This part of canada, has done from summer, into full bown fall, no inbetween.
[CS Lounge] Lorewalkers Need Naps Too
1) Disconnect secondary IDE cable
2) Connect dual channel IDE to SATA adapter
3) Connect SSD and Blu-Ray drive to SATA adapter after connecting SATA adapter to mobo.
4) Dig through room for my molex to dual SATA power adapter(making huge mess in the process)
5) Forget that the 12 year old PC is set to start up from floppy first and ignore CD-ROM
6) Change BIOS to forget there was ever a floppy and use blu-ray drive to boot from
7) Boot up from Acronis Trueimage Home 2010
8) Set up clone to SSD from 12 year old 60 GB Maxtor Dying Drive
9) Start clone and go bowling
10) Maybe be done cloning tomorrow morning if the drive hasn't died on me by then.
All this just so my grandparents have a working computer that can play Scrabble 1.0. From 1995. Which won't work in WinXP so I'm stuck with WinME.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Took me forever to find a backup program that can work on such an old machine.
I think I'd rather do dailies nonstop for a week than do this again. My grandparents better appreciate this...I just lost my Chameleon boot drive, so there goes being able to boot Lion into 64-bit mode under a false computer name (yay Champlist) in order to download Mountain Lion and then hackie-boot that on my Mac Pro 1,1.
P.S. - Those old PC cases can really cut you good if you aren't careful. WTB Cosmos II case...
/climbs onto flatsy's head, curls up into a ball and starts shaking uncontrollably
10/05/2012 03:11 PMPosted by TrehtikWhy would you even clone garbage like that? Heck, even a "downgrade" to Windows 98 is more like an upgrade.
Oddly enough, ME did have slightly better USB support, which I actually needed. That and ME was free at the time, so yeah. Also Firefox 2.3 wouldn't run on the 98 partition I had, but did on ME, so that also was a factor.
And believe me, I'd have been on XP long ago if not for Scrabble. My grandparents hated 2.x with a passion, and wanted only 1.x. However, the internet marches on, and flash can't be updated for ME, nor can firefox. So the moment I'm able to get a new Mac Pro, this one goes to my grandparents and they don't get to say jack about it. I'll see if I can get Scrabble 1.0 running in OS 9 via sheepshaver, but that's as far as I go delving into old OSes after that point. :D
Hey, at least it isn't having to deal with Yellow Dog Linux or MkLinux for PPC. :P
Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.