Why bring a monk over other healers?

90 Orc Warlock
Looking at the various healing specs and the utility they bring to a raid, it seems to me that monks bring the least. Unless I'm missing something they don't bring any impressive raid cooldowns only situational ones that almost don't seem worth mentioning compared to stuff like the other healers bring. I'm not trying to put down monks since i happen to enjoy mine i'm leveling its just that looking at the potential of them compared to my shaman I almost feel I should just stick to my shaman primarily.
Edited by Zaffnar on 10/2/2012 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
SCK in 25 man.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Changed title since old wasn't as strait forward
Reply Quote
i too am curious. i've really enjoyed playing my mistweaver so far but i'm concerned about raiding at 90. what's my role? where do i fit in? am i even viable for 10m or am i stuck spamming SCK in 25m? i too put my r shammy on hold to lvl this monk but maybe it would be better to return to her.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Monks are very strong tank healers, from what I've seen, with a lot of spike potential.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Monks are very strong tank healers, from what I've seen, with a lot of spike potential.

Yea, that's pretty spot on. Monk has a lot of potent single target stuff. Properly juggling ReM, TF Tea, and Uplift in a 10 man is also pretty burstly raid healing with no real positional requirements, and SCK is basically the answer to a lot of questions in 25 mans.

If you want utility, they do have a lot of situational stuff, especially in melee range (stuns, CC, a silence/interrupt, can continue to heal fairly well even when silenced/interrupted/ect) but I'm not sure which raid fights would get "good" use out of that.

Their HPS and mana regen both seem fine too, upper middle of the pack-ish and not too fight dependent.

Maybe the question should be why wouldn't you bring one? i don't see any particular problems...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
10/02/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Sparklefever
tank healing isn't as strong as Pally or Disc

In what regard? Disc doesn't exactly have the strongest spike, and Paladins certainly aren't the most efficient single target healers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
The answer is balls.

No, really... those little heal balls are amazing when your raid group starts using them!

... I really have no idea but I do have fun telling my group to be sure to grab my balls.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Spirit Shell, and Pallies with Selfless Healer have EXTREMELY efficient, fast, and spiky tank healing.

Mistweavers can have good tank healing, but it's extremely inefficient. No bueno.

It's just Surging Mist that's inefficient, Soothing/Enveloping is pretty powerful.

Side note, does the Soothing Mist from the Jade statue have a 25% chance to proc Chi as well?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Point taken, but the Paladin single target toolkit isn't exactly cheap either.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
The answer is balls.

No, really... those little heal balls are amazing when your raid group starts using them!

... I really have no idea but I do have fun telling my group to be sure to grab my balls.

this.

play a mystic in Tera Online and you'll know exactly how to work a monk. :P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Monk has easily the highest throughput potential right now. It's honestly not even close. SCK combined with Zen Sphere (Detonate) and Monks smooth the raid HP out incredibly.

Zen Sphere will get nerfed, it will be interesting to see how much.
Edited by Adornus on 10/4/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
The answer is balls.

this.

play a mystic in Tera Online and you'll know exactly how to work a monk. :P

YES. Tele and roll are quite comparable too in terms of playstyle. Drop balls in useful positions, roll away form scary incoming damage.

And since we are talking about monk healing kit, I love Life Cocoon for "ho crap" moments. It seems like an amazing single target cd to me at least now. Does it suck at max level or something?
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
Monk has easily the highest throughput potential right now. It's honestly not even close. SCK combined with Zen Sphere (Detonate) and Monks smooth the raid HP out incredibly.

Zen Sphere will get nerfed, it will be interesting to see how much.

Don't we also get a heal-every-friggin-body raid cd at higher lvls too? Flat hp heal and cleanse. Do not remember the name.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
10/02/2012 03:53 AMPosted by Zaffnar
Looking at the various healing specs and the utility they bring to a raid, it seems to me that monks bring the least. Unless I'm missing something they don't bring any impressive raid cooldowns only situational ones that almost don't seem worth mentioning compared to stuff like the other healers bring. I'm not trying to put down monks since i happen to enjoy mine i'm leveling its just that looking at the potential of them compared to my shaman I almost feel I should just stick to my shaman primarily.

Is this a troll post????

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Mogu%27shan_Vaults/hps/

Yea why bring a monk indeed.....
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Revival, and yes, 3 min CD I believe.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I only have half my heroic gear and topped heals in the first encounter of Mogu'Shun vaults and was fairly dominant (70k+ HPS on some pulls) for Feng. When I'm geared out, I can only imagine.

Tank heals, while strong for an emergency, are simply not sustainable. The raid heals, though, are rather incredible - we are perhaps the only healer that is strong at spread healing and stacked healing ... and doing it mana efficiently.

If stacked, Rushing Jade Wind + Spinning Crane Kick is exceptional. Or, even better, spamming Chi Burst with your Chi Brew cooldown.

If spread, your renewing mists is going to get lots of heals off. Chi, in this case, is used on Uplift. Add in some Thunder Brew (hopefully you are using this often), and renewing mist will be on a very large portion of your 25M raid. Uplift is really incredible after a Thunder Brew.

So yeah - monks are doing well. And to top it off, you get Revival (raid-wide instant-heal), Life Cocoon (giant tank shield), and the best mobility out of all healers.
Edited by Kungfucïus on 10/4/2012 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]