Light's hammer rotation for pvp

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi there, i figured out the build im going to do for pvp, and wanted to see other people's opinions. I figured id use the burden of guild talent, turn of SoJ and bate a trinket, Basically then just glyph of blinding light and HoJ them in LH for as long as possible. once they are out of it the slow will keep them in there for a while longer.
TLDR: cc ppl in lights hammer
so what do you think?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/02/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Chrisea
bate a trinket

I like this part. Bateing is fun.

EDIT: On-topic. Good luck with keeping people in LH. We're not there for sustainable damage in pvp. Burst damage. Keep your eye on the prize.
Edited by Monodex on 10/2/2012 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just dinged yesterday and have not had time to try out the 90 talents in PVP, but I'm wondering if Lights Hammer makes a decent replacement for Consecration to de-stealthing rogues and kitties or as a flag protector like old style Divine Storm. As of 5.0 at level 85 I felt the sting of losing these abilities, not for the DPS (Consecration damage? Are you kidding?) but simply the loss of pvp utility. Someone's capping the flag? Who is it? no time to target them just Spam DS and stop them, nice right? Now what can I do? If I could just toss down a hammer that would be sweet.
Also, this spell looks really cool. Thumbs up Blizz, you did well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just wondering if this is now going to change with the lights hammer buff. Don't really want to necro this, but i also don't want to make an unnecessary new thread
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Lights hammer is the worst of the 90 talents you are gonna want to use holy prism in arena
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think the OP understands that but with the new snare effect in 5.2 Light's Hammer might potentially have some use in PvP.

I'm curious myself as to how the snare is applied. Is it a 2 second snare on each tick of damage or just a flat 2 seconds. Personally; I'm inclined to believe it's the former.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I could see it being pretty useful to plant next to a healer and watch rogues try and play ring around the hammer chasing them. Might be worth looking into for arenas where you don't have a whole lot of room to run to.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/05/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Lobster
From my understanding, the snaring Light's Hammer works kinda like Earthbind totem except you can't destroy it. The 1min cooldown dampers its usefulness though.

This.

Also, the snare is tied to Arcing Light, meaning it's not magical - healers can't dispel it, basically, and it pulses every two seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
To clarify, its not a snare, blizzard isn't kind enough to us to give a snare
Its a 50% slow, with no damage increase
currently on my geared dk friend, it ticks for about 2.5k per tick = 25k damage over 20s IF you can get them to stand in it for the entire 20seconds (assuming that they don't regen health that fast........oh wait)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Also, the snare is tied to Arcing Light, meaning it's not magical - healers can't dispel it, basically, and it pulses every two seconds.

You sure about this? Means a rogue can't clos it?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mind telling me the difference between a slow and a snare? Unless you're talking semantics, I see them as the same thing.

Though you're right, the damage is pretty low, although it's to be expected - Light's Hammer was always more PvE oriented, although its damage outperforms the others when used on more than two targets. The heal, though, is 7-8k per tick, which isn't bad as a group cooldown, and while I might end up preferring Holy Prism overall, I could see the new LH having some use in RBGs.

Edit:
02/06/2013 01:30 AMPosted by Positron

Damn it. I was just fighting a rogue too, I forgot to check. I suspect a rogue will still be able to CloS it, since it's a magic spell, however as far as I know, the debuff itself, Arcing Light, is physical.
Edited by Jackishi on 2/6/2013 1:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mind telling me the difference between a slow and a snare? Unless you're talking semantics, I see them as the same thing.

Though you're right, the damage is pretty low, although it's to be expected - Light's Hammer was always more PvE oriented, although its damage outperforms the others when used on more than two targets. The heal, though, is 7-8k per tick, which isn't bad as a group cooldown, and while I might end up preferring Holy Prism overall, I could see the new LH having some use in RBGs.

Edit:

Damn it. I was just fighting a rogue too, I forgot to check. I suspect a rogue will still be able to CloS it, since it's a magic spell, however as far as I know, the debuff itself, Arcing Light, is physical.

Snare completely hinders movement, Slows are just annoying but let you to continue to move, albeit not as freely.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/06/2013 03:10 AMPosted by Relandis
Snare completely hinders movement

...Completely hinders movement, meaning a root? Otherwise, it just seems like they do the same thing, just with different wording.

Still not getting it. My understanding was that snares reduced movement speed, which Arcing Light and Seal of Justice does...which we have, despite what Ayfo says.

...Unless you're talking about rulesets that exist in other games like Heroes of Newerth, where there's a true difference between a snare and a slow.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Holy prism will still be a much stronger choice. This is a wonderful gesture, but still doesn't help much in pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes, we have Seal of Justice, and to equip it is to take away Censure and lower our already weak damage

By "snare" i meant as in a root, yes, you are snared/tied down/frozen, w/e u wish to call it

A "slow" can constantly be re-applied, a "snare" however has a DR and you can only be snared so many times b4 becoming immune

Personally I feel that this change was meant more for Holy Paladins to have a sort of "freezing trap" to help them gain some distance (since the blinding Light nerf hits them pretty hard) because the damage/healing done is so inconsequential atm that giving it a slow does very little for Ret pvp
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, we have Seal of Justice, and to equip it is to take away Censure and lower our already weak damage

By "snare" i meant as in a root, yes, you are snared/tied down/frozen, w/e u wish to call it

A "slow" can constantly be re-applied, a "snare" however has a DR and you can only be snared so many times b4 becoming immune

Personally I feel that this change was meant more for Holy Paladins to have a sort of "freezing trap" to help them gain some distance (since the blinding Light nerf hits them pretty hard) because the damage/healing done is so inconsequential atm that giving it a slow does very little for Ret pvp

Seal of Justice's damage is getting buffed according to GC, and besides which, the damage lost isn't *too* detrimental, especially if it means you're keeping the enemy within range, and if you need to pump out the extra damage, you can always seal swap.

And in WoW terms, Snares have always meant slows, not Roots, which have their own classification.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If justice is getting buffed thats nice to see, will have to test to see if its worth the gcd to "stance-dance" between keeping Censure and slows up, or if its viable to just go Justice all game against a kiting team

And yeah, went and tested it, and you were right, according to WoW snares = slows, and roots = rooted/stuck.

It seems I was using some sort of urban street lingo I picked up on the wrong side of the WoW tracks, I apologize for letting my uncouth upbringing affect our forum's discussion
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/06/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Ayfo
It seems I was using some sort of urban street lingo I picked up on the wrong side of the WoW tracks, I apologize for letting my uncouth upbringing affect our forum's discussion

Rofl, all good. If you played Heroes of Newerth or I *think* LoL, that might've been why, I know snares are different in other games.

Anyway, looks like this discussion's moot anyway, considering they changed SoJ to a TfB-esque ability..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
what do I think about this?

It's poopoo
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]