Mining is now even more boring...

90 Night Elf Druid
It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Let's do some math.

1 trillium bar=4 trillium ore and if the average node is three ore then that 1.25 node per bar.
1 trillium bar=10 ghost iron bar (via alchemy transmute)=20 ghost iron ore which is roughly 4 ghost iron nodes per trillium bar.( I say 4 nodes because a regular GI node is 3 ore but a Rich Ghost Iron ore is 5.5.)

Now, trillium nodes don't spawn at a 33% clip so this is imbalanced because it makes trillium nodes pointless. It's far more efficient to mine ghost iron and then transmute it rather than mine trillium (not to mention that silly black/white mechanic.)

Either the alchemy transmute needs to get a CD or
Ghost Iron needs to be nerfed or
trillium nodes need to be buffed.

As it stands right now miners get to mine one thing this expansion: ghost iron. All the rest is basically irrelevant.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Mostly agreed - though not every miner has an alchemist available to do transmutes, so they serve their purpose.

I'm curious - is it "boring" because trillium nodes are not as exciting as say, Pyrite nodes? I could see the fact that you only get ore (no gems, no volatiles) making it "boring," but not because it's relatively easy to transmute trillium bars. Farming anything is not fun - I really hope that the spawn rates never get changed so I can spend less time farming and more time having fun.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Trillium deposits should drop gems.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
4 ore, 2 black and 2 white, is just a bag space waster. It definitely is just easier to farm Ghost Iron and transmute. I pretty much ignore Trillium mines now.

Smelting Trillium should give more than one bar to compensate for the relative annoyance it is to actually do it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm just annoyed that you get way more black trillium than white trillium. I have 2 1/2 stacks of black to 1 stack of white. I also think if they want both black and white trillium to make a single bar, it should only be one of each.

But then again, while leveling professions was relatively painless there are some major annoyances with professions at max level. Other than trillium being a general pain, a big annoyance is the 450 ilvl patterns requiring spirit of harmonies to buy especially when the drop rate on the motes is painfully low.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I'm curious - is it "boring" because trillium nodes are not as exciting as say, Pyrite nodes? I could see the fact that you only get ore (no gems, no volatiles) making it "boring," but not because it's relatively easy to transmute trillium bars.

Yes. Compare mining to herbalism. Golden lotus doesn't have a transmute so when you find one there is a thrill attached to it. You can't get golden lotus anywhere else except SOH. With Trillium that same thrill is gone because it can be transmute so easily. I don't ignore trillium nodes but they don't give me that "oh cool" feeling that Golden Lotus does.

Moreover, look at how many different herbs there are to pick and how that feeds into alchemy. Mining has two (at best) ores because functionally kypyrite is pointless except for esoteric uses.

Mining is just boring as you are farming the same thing over and over again. I can't think of anything else in the game that is so limited. At least skinners kill different mobs.
Edited by Elnia on 9/29/2012 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I'm pretty sure that trillium ore gives more rare gems (when prospected) on average than ghost iron, so there's at least some point to the nodes.
Edited by Hooraka on 9/29/2012 12:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/29/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Hooraka
I'm pretty sure that trillium ore gives more rare gems (when prospected) on average than ghost iron, so there's at least some point to the nodes.

You're "pretty sure" is not actual data. Kaliope's data mining shows Trillium prospecting is the same a ghost iron. So unless you can link to better data, you're wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
09/29/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Elnia

You're "pretty sure" is not actual data. Kaliope's data mining shows Trillium prospecting is the same a ghost iron. So unless you can link to better data, you're wrong.

From Kaliope's website http://kaliope.crafterstome.com/2012/09/mop-beta-files-prospecting-trillium.html

It seems pretty clear from this sample that the drop rate for rare gems is much higher than for ghost iron ore.

That was from Beta, so maybe it changed, but I can't find where on the website it says any different.

Also, the data I was using as a judge:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=72094/black-trillium-ore#prospecting
http://www.wowhead.com/item=72103/white_trillium_ore#prospecting
http://www.wowhead.com/item=72092/ghost_iron_ore#prospecting

Show the trillium prospecting both giving higher percentages of rare gems than the ghost iron ore. The reason I phrased it as "pretty sure" is that all the data I've seen is still in fairly low numbers, so there is a small chance that its just a statistical anomaly, but at this point that's looking unlikely.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My apologies; I seem to have misunderstood what K was saying. I'd agree that the sample sizes are small but it looks like Trillium does drop rare gems at a higher rate. However, I wonder if that rate increase is offset by the the fact ghost iron ore is so plentiful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]