LiLi Drinking Beer?

90 Draenei Shaman
SPOILERS: This thread has some minor spoilers for quests in Valley of the Four Winds and the comic Pearl of Pandaria.

So, yesterday I read Pearl of Pandaria and was a bit surprised to see that Lili was buying, brewing, and drinking beer throughout the book. By the time the book ended I had come to the conclusion that Pandaren drink regardless of age.

Then, while questing in Valley of the Four Winds, LiLi specifically asked me to sample grains for Chen's brew because she had never had a drink in her life.

Is this just a small mistake on Blizzard's part? Or did I read the book wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I'll scrutinize this when I pick up Pearl of Pandaria next week, but she definitely says she has never tried beer in the Valley of the Four Winds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Societies throughout history didn't necessarily have many prohibitions on minors drinking. In some cases, drinking alcohol was the safest option, since water tends to carry a lot of germs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Or alternatively, she was worried and wanted you to be the one to test all those things...
In case they were dangerous. You never know.
>_>
<_<

The minor excuse works very well there!
Reply Quote
09/30/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Felya
Societies throughout history didn't necessarily have many prohibitions on minors drinking. In some cases, drinking alcohol was the safest option, since water tends to carry a lot of germs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
her age isn't the issue he's asking.

I'd go with oversight. The person writing the quest probably wasn't familiar with the book
Reply Quote
Maybe she just hasn't tried Chen's brews, but had other ale?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
her age isn't the issue he's asking.

I'd go with oversight. The person writing the quest probably wasn't familiar with the book

That's a fairly large oversight. Micky Nielson wrote the book, and he is heavily involved with the ongoing story.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I don't really think so. I don't mean to downplay this thread if it sounds that way, but I don't consider a single conflicting point on whether a pandaren drinks or not a "fairly large oversight"

It probably could have been easily avoided but there are larger inconsistencies
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
And if she does drink?

Drinking alcohol is something that is gradually introduced to your life from a very young age in most societies. Not everyone is like the USA.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Just to clarify...the point really isn't about her age. I don't care if LiLi drinks or not. The point was simply that there is a contradiction: one source says she drinks; the other says she does not.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
This is subtly explained in Valley of the Four Winds. She mentions that she has never had beer, before glancing around nervously. Li Li drinks, but Chen does not know that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/30/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Pumlaxer
This is subtly explained in Valley of the Four Winds. She mentions that she has never had beer, before glancing around nervously. Li Li drinks, but Chen does not know that.

If that's the case, I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm questing through the zone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Her parents make her lie so that social services don't come and take them away when they accidently draw a B O N G at school.
Edited by Elrith on 9/30/2012 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
09/30/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Felya

And if she does drink?

Drinking alcohol is something that is gradually introduced to your life from a very young age in most societies. Not everyone is like the USA.

ITT: People who can't read.
Reply Quote
Interesting fact. The real reason beer was safer was simply because you boil the water to make it, rather than the alcohol content itself. The real advantage of beer isn't just comparative safety - it's the high caloric content of it. It's not as efficient as bread or porridge, but it's still quite significant.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]