Need Blizzard to fix GM glitch w' experience

90 Blood Elf Mage
-- it seems it happened as a side effect of some help from a GM, experience was turned off when it was not supposed to happen and I did not ask for it to happen. GM moved me from where I was stuck, side effect, turned off my experience. I completed the starting zone, realized I had only the experience you get from entering it, all quests from the breadcrumbs were gray to me. Faced leveling 90%+ of a level by grinding only.

Help wanted: I want the experience I should have gotten.

Resolution: none yet.

Need: appropriate customer service for Blizzard to make right the results of a glitch or mistake by its employees

While waiting (you can see from the time stamp for this post, and from the comments how long I've been waiting for service) I've learned the following things.

First, if you have any sort of ticket in and a GM does something for you, and your XP bar turns off, it is not a display glitch. Do not waste time trying to figure out what has gone wrong with your UI.

In my case, I fell off of the dirigible. I put in a ticket and the GM was kind enough to put me right next to the portal and explain where the portal back to the gunship was (I had hit featherfall, drifted into the alliance camp, and, well, you know, got far afield).

But, from that point on, I did not earn any experience. Did not realize it because the quests said I would get experience for completing them, but the bar didn't show. Figured it was a UI issue. Finally figured out why my bar wasn't working after every tweak I could make to my UI (which is plain) and everything else -- experience was turned off. Figured out when it was turned off happened by looking at the amount of experience I had (just enough to get into the problem I had when I got the help).

So, the problem was I had finished all the quests in the zone and all the bread crumbs lead to quests that require a minimum of 86. I explored, zipped down the tunnel, tried to climb the stairs to the archeology turn in (turns out you need to be 90 with flying to reach it), etc.

Locked out.

Double ouch.

Anyway, if you are DPS with 45 minute ques who usually plays 30 minutes at a time, you can't dungeon your way to 86.

But, two things.

First, daily quests will level up cooking and fishing for you.

Second ... if you explore the right way (which I failed to do the first time around) you can find the location for the cooking trainer. They have quests available at level 85! More dailies.

So, you can do dailies to 86. Not perfect, but better than being locked out.

Oh, and if you get help from a GM and your experience bar disappears, go to the web, do a search and find the guys who turn it on and off. Hit them up, pay the 10 gold, and you are back to life.
Edited by Bitterhope on 10/2/2012 5:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I was dreading grinding my way up, I hate grinding. Especially since the drops, well, the cloth drops (I'm a tailor) are selling for less on the AH than the WotLK or the Cata cloth drops ...
Edited by Bitterhope on 10/1/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I've done a bunch of searches, all I find is twinks complaining about experience being turned on by mistake or glitch.

Haven't found one yet (though I'm sure it must have happened to someone else) whose experience was turned off that way.
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
You can always queue for dungeons and "catch up" with experience that way. Never saw anyone with experience accidentally turned off before.
Reply Quote
I can say that out of the years I've been reading and posting on the CS forums I've never heard of someone getting their XP turned off by a GM. Heard of a GM leaving their tag on a character when they possessed it and other weird issues, but never XP getting turned off.

As much as I hate to tell you this I personally think the chances a GM will be able to award this to you are very low, not that you don't deserve it I just don't think it's something GMs have the power to do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
09/30/2012 07:49 PMPosted by Holyångel
You can always queue for dungeons and "catch up" with experience that way. Never saw anyone with experience accidentally turned off before.

I would, except I usually play in half hour to forty minute increments, and the ques are about 45 minutes long. I've run one dungeon -- it was fun, but getting in is going to be difficult.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Running dailies for experience. Sigh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Heads up, as stated above, while it appears from http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaria that there is only one zone with quests you can do at 85, and if you exhaust those you are hosed (like I was when I realized there was a problem), in the next zone, around the middle, where the cooking trainer is, there are quests you can do at 85!

Huzzah!

May find some more if I am lucky. If not, you do get xp for exploring.
Edited by Bitterhope on 10/1/2012 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
09/30/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Bitterhope
I'd like the experience for all the quests I did.

I think, based on your last response, you've already figured out they won't be able to do that. Unfortunately, in most cases when a quest is done while experience is turned off, the experience is converted to a gold bonus from the quest instead. It's also quite possible the game data doesn't record what was received for completing the quest - only that the quest was completed. All of which would turn what you're asking for into a very big chore for a GM - and quite likely exceed the tools they are given. (I don't believe they have any tool to grant experience, nor can they mark a quest as not being completed so you can do it again.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Eliu -- but you do not get the extra gold when experience is turned off.

That is a really sad fact. The quest dialog comes up with the experience you will gain, so it looks like there is not a problem there, the macro that you can run reports bubbles (but only that you have rest experience bonus going on ...) so there is a lot of feedback in the game that makes it look like you are getting experience.

Ah well. The gold would have been a clue, not to mention, extra gold would have been nice.
Edited by Bitterhope on 10/1/2012 5:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Guess all I really need now is a tutorial for how to nerd rage.

I am just so overwhelmingly sad at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Exact same thing happened to me Bitterhope. :(

Logged a ticket with a GM because I had that water breathing bubble "sea legs" around me, even when I wasn't under water and didn't have the actual buff.

GM removed it just before MOP launch, I happily was questing away, and noticed I didn't have an xp bar. I did all the usual delete of the WTF, Interface and cache folders, disabled all mods, and just this one character had no xp bar.

Logged a ticket, and 4 days later I get a response from the GM saying my xp had been disabled by the previous GM by mistake. By this point I had finished all the entry level quests. So I had to farm mobs and run dungeons for a full level while my guild mates breezed through to 90.

They credited me for 5 days of usage... gee thanks, what does that work out to: $3

It would have been nice if they could have at least maxed out my rested xp to make the grind not so bad. Or even better, reset all my Panderia quests.

If you have any professions try farming for the mats. I have tailoring, so farmed some of the humanoid mobs for cloth... which I would have probably had to do eventually, so it wasn't a complete waste. I wish I could remember the GM's name who disabled my xp, might have been the same guy. Every profession has it's super stars...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I wish I could remember the GM's name who disabled my xp, might have been the same guy. Every profession has it's super stars...

Please don't take it out on the GM, it more then likely wasn't their fault at all. They have certain tools that they have to use when they take over a toon to fix something. What is more then likely to have happened is that one of those tools bugged out and accidently turned off your XP.

Unfortunately it happens and isn't something that the GM probably even knew happened. I do feel for you because it does suck, I just don't want to see a poor GM get hated on for what is more then likely a bug in their tools.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
@Scuba

I'm not saying it was the GM, just wondering if it was the same person. It would be mighty suspicious if it was. I wish they had a way to let you go back and look at your old tickets. I don't recall the exact wording but it implied something the GM had done incorrectly, it certainly didn't indicate any sort of technical error.

The worst part is I gave the initial ticket a super good review when they sent me the survey because I had no idea that they had messed up my account; and they didn't ask for feedback on the second ticket for some odd reason.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
@Scuba

I'm not saying it was the GM, just wondering if it was the same person. It would be mighty suspicious if it was. I wish they had a way to let you go back and look at your old tickets. I don't recall the exact wording but it implied something the GM had done incorrectly, it certainly didn't indicate any sort of technical error.

The worst part is I gave the initial ticket a super good review when they sent me the survey because I had no idea that they had messed up my account; and they didn't ask for feedback on the second ticket for some odd reason.

Well depending on how long ago that was the tickets didn't always use to generate a survey. They just recently went to all tickets sending out a survey instead of having the GM feedback email address. Before the surveys were completely random.

The odds of it being the same GM are pretty improbable. With the number of GMs they have and the amount of tickets they get it would be a huge coincidence. It could have been something the GM did, but from what we have seen with stuff like this in the past (the GM icon being left up on players after being taken over by a GM), it usually involves something with the tools. Now they could have meant that the GM didn't hit a button they were supposed to before giving back the toon, but I don't know...

I do know that it sucks though and I am sorry that you guys had to go through it. I was just trying to explain how it isn't necisarily the GMs fault. Hopefully it wasn't too bad getting up to 90... The farming thing is an excelent idea (and can make you some really good money too)..

Anyway good luck to you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
One problem is that if you search on this topic, all you will find are posts by twinks who want their experience turned off, or people having UI problems. That doesn't tell you want you need to know.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
So, lesson learned. If I get anything positive from the ticket I put in, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I'll just run dailies. Luckily I can teleport back and forth, don't know what I would do without that.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and the help.

And, if you are in this place at level 85 -- there are cooking quests you can get! And the dailies in your home city back in the old world still will give you some experience.

Since I'm only questing on short increments, it works out ok.

Wish anyone luck who finds themself in the same boat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Note. The cooking quests bottom out rather fast. They want you to level up after you run through them, same with farming. If you are stranded as deep in the hole as I was, you still have a long way to go, fishing and cooking around Org, waiting on the Darkmoon Faire, etc.

Still no service, btw.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hey Bitterhope, I feel bad for you in regards to this situation and I certainly wish you the best of luck with your ticket. Based on what I've heard in the past though, I have my doubts that there will much they can do. I'm not a Game Master so I could be wrong; however, I don't believe that they have a method in play to reset quests and/or just grant experience. Needless to say, I wouldn't to see you get your hopes up just to be disappointed. We're all human, we all make mistakes, and we live...learn...and move on. So the question is what do we do about it?

Some might suggest to wait and see what the Game Masters can do. If it were me, I'd keep my ticket up (just in case something is possible), and then I'd work on leveling my character regardless. That way in a worst case scenario it was a setback...just not a game breaker, and in a best case scenario maybe they will find a way to let you take on the quests again. Expect the worst, hope for the best and try not to let it bum you out to much. After all expecting an entire zone of quests to reset would probably be a tough sell. As it would be literally giving out an extra thousands of gold, reputation, achievement issues, loot, etc. and while you may be looking at how it impacts you...they also need to look how it impacts all of the players.

As for how, I was going start out by recommending using a gathering profession, but that doesn't seem feasible in your case. If you weren't already exalted in a level 25 guild, I'd suggest some level appropriate quests to pick up some xp and help the guild out. Hmm, your Archaeology looks promising, I'd suggest that. Not so much for daily quests, just dig sights in Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms or wherever you can hit as many as you can as quickly as you can. Usually with rest bonus applied it was close to ~3 digs = 1 quest for any given level. My estimates may be off so don't quote me on numbers. If it is accurate that's roughly 40,000xp per dig, where a quest is Jade Forest was roughly 120,000xp. With 3-7 digs per site, you can probably pick up the experience rather quickly even at level 85 and flying around at 310% should make it go faster. Just an idea to consider and once you hit 86 you'll be able to resume questing the normal way.

Best of luck to you, just try not to let it get you down to much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]