Whats up with Mistweavers as lowbies :/

90 Pandaren Monk
Almost every Mistweaver I have come across in my dungeons are playing as caster healers, I think I have seen only about 10% doing the full class meele healing style.

Is it just to hard to be a meele healer at a lowbie level? I am only playing BM right now so I have no idea how hard it is to be a MW.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
At lower levels, the dungeons were often set up to make sure that healers stayed back.

You have AOE silence in many dungeons that can kill a group if a healer is chain silenced. You have cleaves that can lock a healer out of their spells if they're in the middle of casting Soothing Mist or any of their other heals. And you pull aggro much quicker if you're in melee range (melee only require 100% threat, ranged require 120% threat which takes longer to build up, which often gives a tank ample time to grab aggro before a healer can pull off of them).

However, while I was lvling up, I often had tanks who pulled big and pulled fast, and the best heal for those situations was Spinning Crane Kick, so I usually ended up as one of the top DPS because of my constant AOE.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I should also mention the only ability they ever cast is Soothing Mist, if I am lucky I see one with a Zen Sphere.
Reply Quote
Well, the only heal you have for many many levels at the low levels is Soothing Mist. I try to get in an melee as much as I can, but as the person above said, a lot of tanks pulled big and fast so it's not sufficient to do the melee heal when they're taking a lot of burst damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/01/2012 08:00 AMPosted by Mistweavers
I should also mention the only ability they ever cast is Soothing Mist, if I am lucky I see one with a Zen Sphere.

The only ranged heal a Mistweaver has until their lvl 30 talent is Soothing Mist.

At lvl 32, they get Enveloping Mist (which will only ever be cast as an instant cast while channelling Soothing mist) and at lvl 34 they get Surging Mist (which will only ever be cast as an instant cast; often while channelling Soothing Mist... or, if you've got a healer who's throwing in some melee attacks, they can get access to an instant SuM via TP x5). I may have the levels at which EM & SuM are obtained switched around. Sometime after *that* they get Renewing Mist, their wandering HoT.

My point is that you won't *see* them casting anything else since there's no cast time involved in those extra heals and there's no in-game graphic for them either (Soothing Mist and Renewing Mist are the only casted heals which have noticeable graphics associated with them).

Until a Mistweaver gets Spinning Crane Kick at lvl 46, they can't usually keep a group up via melee-healing if AoE damage is going out, so any time the whole party is taking damage you'll usually have a lowbie Mistweaver casting.
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk
I just stepped into a dungeon for the first time as a healer (I've only played dps in dungeons before) and well, if you ever meet me in a dungeon and don't see me melee heal, it's simply because I can't change targets fast enough on the trash to both do melee dps and heal the tank. I know that's because I'm still a pretty bad player, but in my 3 Deadmines and 1 Ragefire Chasm runs, I simply haven't had problems keeping the tank, and the dps, topped up just by spamming Soothing Mist. I'm sure that will change, later on.
Reply Quote
94 Draenei Monk
MW doesn't seem to have the melee tools at lower level, you seem forced to go as a caster with just the channel and the instant casts and using chi wave. I could just be missing something though.

And as others said, lowbie dungeons have silences in melee range sometimes, so you need to go caster anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
First time I ran the new Scarlet Mon. I had a tank that was threatening to kick me if I didnt stop attacking. I told him he just didnt understand Monk healing abilities, and he called me a noob moron.

Then one of the DPS'ers put up a petition to kick the tank....which succeeded. We got a new tank, and the rest was a lot of fun.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
If a mistweaver can't keep people up at lower levels before they have their full kit, that's generally the fault of the tank and/or dps, not the healer. Most often it's because the tank's not using their extremely powerful active mitigation.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
i have fully embraced melee-healing. I have surprised more than a few players with my healing AND my DPS :)

It's definately not for everyone, that's for sure.
Too many peeps stuck in the mindset that a healer HAS to stand back and wait for damage to happen.
Edited by Murkwood on 10/1/2012 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
41 Pandaren Monk
It's definitely more difficult to melee heal than it is to ranged heal, at least at lower levels. It's also far less reliant on equipment, which is important if you do not have heirlooms. Between the 50% XP buff and the fact that 9 times out of 10 I get worthless agility gear from RDF loot bags, I often find myself under-geared for melee healing safely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
It depends on my mood, really.

Mistweaver (ranged) is really mana-light and relatively simple, but doesn't generate much Chi.
Fistweaver (melee) is extremely mana-heavy and exhausting for long periods of time, but generates TONS of Chi.

With the right glyphs and appropriate 'weaving' of actual heals, Fistweaving puts out enough to maintain a group.

My personal default style is Mistweaving, unless I am comfortable enough in my situation/group setting to roll in and whip out mah serpent strike fisticuffs.
Edited by Quorra on 10/1/2012 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
22 Orc Monk
KA
i have fully embraced melee-healing. I have surprised more than a few players with my healing AND my DPS :)

It's definately not for everyone, that's for sure.
Too many peeps stuck in the mindset that a healer HAS to stand back and wait for damage to happen.

Yep....mistweaving is awesome. I love how you mogged your int leather into the agi set. :) I bet that gets some comments.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
Yep....mistweaving is awesome. I love how you mogged your int leather into the agi set. :) I bet that gets some comments.

hehe. I just hate how the feathers look.

I get a few double-takes, but the tank usually flies off too fast for anyone to say anything.
By the time the first few trash mobs are taken out, they figure it out pretty fast ;)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Fistweaving sucks until you get Teachings of the Monastery in your 30s. Then it's good enough for leveling dungeons, though it doesn't hit full power until you get Jade Serpent Statue.
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk
cant sustain after a certain low level. Noobs and bads pulling entire rooms and tanks think they are god mode. It is all i can do to keep a channel going and pop instants.
Reply Quote
55 Pandaren Monk
I'm level 45 (1 more until Kicky Kicky time!) and I can say it's MUCH easier to keep people up doing Trad Healing than Fistweaving.

Not that there's anything wrong with FW'ing, but like others pointed out, it's difficult at these levels and these dungeons. Whereas standing back and tossing spells a la Priest Style is a piece of cake as long as tanks aren't COMPLETELY incompetent.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Believe me, wait until level 46+, you won't see a mistweaver OUT of melee range. I can keep an entire group up through multiple-big groups (almost the entire basement with fear pulls where that heroic bird guy is in Seth Halls), with just mostly spinning crane kick and renewing going. I could probably have kept them alive with SCK only but I kept getting feared and kept it up just in case I couldn't get back in time. Give it time!
Reply Quote
43 Gnome Monk
10/01/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Kemianne
I just stepped into a dungeon for the first time as a healer (I've only played dps in dungeons before) and well, if you ever meet me in a dungeon and don't see me melee heal, it's simply because I can't change targets fast enough on the trash to both do melee dps and heal the tank. I know that's because I'm still a pretty bad player, but in my 3 Deadmines and 1 Ragefire Chasm runs, I simply haven't had problems keeping the tank, and the dps, topped up just by spamming Soothing Mist. I'm sure that will change, later on.

You absolutely must use target of target macros in order to melee heal, so that you attack the tank's target without ever unselecting the tank. Something like:

/use [@targettarget,harm][harm] Jab

And mouseover macros are great for pinch-healing party members other than the tank without having to unselect the tank:

/cast [@mouseover,help][help]Soothing Mist
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/01/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Katlei
Believe me, wait until level 46+, you won't see a mistweaver OUT of melee range. I can keep an entire group up through multiple-big groups (almost the entire basement with fear pulls where that heroic bird guy is in Seth Halls), with just mostly spinning crane kick and renewing going. I could probably have kept them alive with SCK only but I kept getting feared and kept it up just in case I couldn't get back in time. Give it time!

UGH! I hate that room, if you have one mess up as a tank you can get every one killed, same as a healer.

But thats good, I figured by my lvl 40 dungeons I would see some meele mistweavers so I will be looking forward to them in BC!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]